Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 5th June 2012, 04:23 PM
LineA Offline

linuxfirefox
Fedora 17 - Only headphones have sound

I did a fresh install of F17 and discovered that only the headphones (front green jack) play sound. I am unable to play sound using the speakers (rear green jack).

I have an Asus P5Q motherboard and I'm using the onboard sound.

Under Sound Setting -> Output I see two possibilities "Analog Ouput" and "Analog Headphones" but both options only play sound through the front jack when I do a speaker test, nothing happens using the rear jack. Note that I do unplug the fron jack when testing the rear speakers.

"Analog Stereo Duplex" is selected under the Hardware tab when running these speaker tests. I tried other optins, but nothing seems to produce a different result.

All sound works perfectly on the front jack (Rhytmbox, VLC, web stuff, etc.) I just wish that when I unplug the headset, the speakers would kick in.

Also note, this is not an upgrade to F17, this is a "fresh" install - not sure if that makes a difference.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Old 10th June 2012, 02:06 AM
LineA Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: Fedora 17 - Only headphones have sound

UPDATE: When I use alsamixer and disable auto-muting the speakers work. Note that I DO NOT have the front headphones plugged in. Seems that the system thinks that the headphones are always lugged in no matter what.

Under the Sound settings -> Ouput, when I select "Analog Headphones" now the sound from the speakers is louder and no sound comes from the Headset. When I select "Analog Ouput" sound comes from both Headphones and speakers simultaneously.

Oh well, I can live with it.
Old 20th June 2012, 09:37 PM
abdulrahman112 Offline

linuxchrome

same here
after updating to kernel 3.3.7 or the later ones, the speakers work no more.
but when I use the headphones, they do work.
so I always boot the kernel 3.3.4, because it's the only kernel that the sound works on.
the exact same problem appears on ubuntu when upgrading the kernel
you can see here http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2003900
Old 13th September 2013, 03:21 PM
deretmis Offline

linuxchrome

hey guys, I had the same problem, googled a bit and found that disabling auto-mute with alsamixer worked fine.
I didn't test a reboot but it's working now, there has to be some reason. Just select the card in alsamixer, go to Auto-mute and set it to Disabled.
Seems to be working @3.10.7-100.fc18.i686 .

Check these threads these is where I got to do that:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2003900&page=2
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=143572

Cheers!

Tags
fedora, headphones, sound