Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 8th June 2012, 07:05 PM
aurabindo Offline

linuxubuntufirefox
F17 fails to start gnome

I recently installed Fedora 17 Electronics Lab, After installation, I changed the plymouth boot theme to spinfinty and after a restart, feddy will not complete the boot process and so i dont get the gnome login. There is just a black screen with circling mouse pointer. It must be busy doing some stuff,

I thought it would be sendmail, and sm-client. I diasabled it. No luck. I masked it. No luck.

BUT,

if i select the recovery option, it will drop me to root shell. Then I press ctrl D. Then its starts as usual and I instantly get the gnome login. I`ve attached my boot log. Yeah it contains some unreadable character. Dont know why.

Also, i would like to add that it shows "Cannot open font file true" during booting. Once i saw another stuff in systemd boot messages, some thing like

[DEPEND] Graphical Desktop Dependency Failed or so.

Any clues on the culprit ?
Attached Files
File Type: log boot.log (7.7 KB, 90 views)
Old 8th June 2012, 07:47 PM
droidhacker Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: F17 fails to start gnome

The font file error is irrelevant. You can safely ignore it.

In fact, you can get rid of it quite simply by editing the file /etc/default/grub and taking that bad part out of the command line, then regenerating your grub configuration.

That dependency error is much more worrying though.
Switch to a virtual terminal, log in, run "yum check" to find out what dependencies are missing, then you can try installing them (hopefully).
Old 8th June 2012, 08:24 PM
aurabindo Offline

linuxubuntufirefox
Re: F17 fails to start gnome

<ctrl + alt + F1 to F12> doesnt put me into another terminal. But booted into into through recovery mode, and then <ctrl + D >. Anyway, yum check deoesnt report any missing dependencies.

Lets go back to the recovery phenomenon. In this mode, the system first start basic services. Then by pressing <ctrl + D> it regains the normal boot. But there should be services that are not started, which would be started on a normal boot. Where can i find these services ?

Tags
f17, fails, gnome, start