Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 31st May 2012, 08:45 AM
PiElle Offline

windows_7firefox
Fedora 17. Partitioning error on failure stage1.

Installing Fedora 17 to replace F16 on a normal BIOS based notebook.
Fedora 16 installed with no problems, like every other Distro I run on the computer.
Now I got this error: you have not created a bootloader stage 1 target device; sda6 must have one of the following disklabel types: gpt.
I tried dvd and live cd installation with no avail.
So I decided to install Mageia 2: no problems ...
I normally run Windows 7 and two Linux Distributions on this notebook without any issue ...
It's a bug of Anaconda?

Last edited by PiElle; 31st May 2012 at 08:47 AM.
Old 31st May 2012, 11:14 AM
Minato04 Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: Fedora 17. Partitioning error on failure stage1.

i have the same problem here, if i install f16 there is not any problem. For f17, it asks me the same things as told above.

Help please?
Old 31st May 2012, 03:49 PM
srs5694 Offline

linuxfirefox

I'm not positive, but I suspect the error is saying you need to create a BIOS Boot Partition. This is a small (~1 MiB) partition that's identified with a "bios_grub" flag in parted or GParted, or by a type code of EF02 in gdisk. Check to see if your disk has this partition, and if not, create one. (You can even squeeze it into the not-quite-1MiB gap at the start of the disk, if the current first partition starts at 1 MiB, so you may not need to shrink any partitions to make room for it.)
Old 31st May 2012, 04:08 PM
PiElle Offline

linuxfirefox

The BIOS Boot partition is a partition on a data storage device that may be used by standard BIOS-based machines in order to boot when the partition table of the device is a GPT label.
I don't have a GPT label. I own a BIOS based pc with a common ms-dos partition table.
I can install Fedora 16 and all the other distros without encountering this problem ...
Old 31st May 2012, 04:30 PM
Gareth Jones Offline
Official Gnome 3 Sales Rep. (and Adminstrator)

linuxfirefox

What is /dev/sda6 being used for? Where are you installing GRUB (MBR, a partition...)? How much space is there between the MBR and the start of the first partition?

The worst case is if you have another Linux distro working, you can use its boot-loader to boot Fedora.
Old 31st May 2012, 06:42 PM
PiElle Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth Jones View Post
What is /dev/sda6 being used for? Where are you installing GRUB (MBR, a partition...)? How much space is there between the MBR and the start of the first partition?

The worst case is if you have another Linux distro working, you can use its boot-loader to boot Fedora.
I have the Windows bootloader in charge. I select the Linux Distros by Easy BCD.
I usually install GRUB in the /boot partition (or the / partition if I didn't create the first one).
The installation process stops with that message soon after creating the new partitions for F17.
Installing Fedora 15/16, Mageia 2, OpenSUSE 12.1, Mint 12, Kubuntu: no problems at all.
It has to be a bug with the installer.
I've noticed it has less options than before (for instance, there's no option for the rescue system ...?)
Old 2nd June 2012, 08:40 PM
PiElle Offline

linuxfirefox

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=271743

I don't understand why these problems happen ...
Old 3rd June 2012, 11:04 AM
PiElle Offline

linuxfirefox

Problem solved, following the solution indicated above.
Seems like the installer booted in UEFI mode instead of BIOS mode.
After preparing an usb stick by live usb creator and deleting two files as suggested in the previous post, the installer booted fine.
So I can mark this thread as solved.
Old 11th October 2012, 05:05 PM
obelius Offline

windows_7chrome

Hello PiElle.

I've been trying to install the fedora 17 , but somehow, i got the same problem as you!

How did you manage to arrange it ?
Please, explain it, because im kinda "fresh" on fedora

Thanks
Old 11th October 2012, 06:52 PM
PiElle Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox

Have a look at this thread:
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=271743
Make an usb stick by live usb creator (it can be made within Windows too) and then delete the file BOOTX64.efi in the EFI folder. In this way the usb stick will no longer boot in EFI mode (you probably, like me, have a bios based computer with an "old" MBR).
Good luck.
Old 14th October 2012, 10:48 AM
george_toolan Offline

linuxfirefox

If you boot your computer in UEFI mode then the installer will need a HDD with a GPT.

The easiest way to prevent this is to disable UEFI boot in your computer's BIOS settings.
Old 22nd November 2012, 09:48 PM
khateeb15 Offline

windows_7chrome

I've deleted BOOTX64.efi as you said above, the USB stick doesn't booting anymore :S !!!
Old 22nd November 2012, 11:07 PM
srs5694 Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by khateeb15 View Post
I've deleted BOOTX64.efi as you said above, the USB stick doesn't booting anymore :S !!!
I recommend you start a new thread with details about your system and the problems you're having with it. It's possible that your problem is related to the one in this thread, but it may be very different, even if the initial symptoms seem similar. Include information on your hardware (especially the motherboard or computer make and model, age, and CPU type) and a description of what happens when you try to boot the installation medium.
Old 23rd November 2012, 12:28 AM
khateeb15 Offline

windows_7chrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by srs5694 View Post
I recommend you start a new thread with details about your system and the problems you're having with it. It's possible that your problem is related to the one in this thread, but it may be very different, even if the initial symptoms seem similar. Include information on your hardware (especially the motherboard or computer make and model, age, and CPU type) and a description of what happens when you try to boot the installation medium.
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...12#post1615612

thanks ^_^

Tags
error, failure, fedora, partitioning, stage1