Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 2nd June 2012, 10:04 AM
Yora0 Offline

linuxubuntufirefox
Deleting files

Hello, I was trying Ubuntu for one day, but apparently someone seemed to think that it's really important that there is never a way to make sure you don't accidentaly move a file to trash.

So I want to give Fedora a try. Has Fedora anything that reduces the chance of accidentally deleting a file because you touch the Delete key? Like a confirmation window?
Old 2nd June 2012, 10:20 AM
Ariya Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: Deleting files

When you right click on a file, you won't find "delete" word there, only "move to trash," so you can get your file back.

You have to use Fedora to know what it is. Have a go.
Old 2nd June 2012, 10:59 AM
Adunaic Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yora0 View Post
Hello, I was trying Ubuntu for one day, but apparently someone seemed to think that it's really important that there is never a way to make sure you don't accidentaly move a file to trash.

So I want to give Fedora a try. Has Fedora anything that reduces the chance of accidentally deleting a file because you touch the Delete key? Like a confirmation window?
Yes, but they don't like to tell you. They prefer that you spend ages bashing the delete key and get frustrated that it does nothing. In fedora you need to do ctrl+del to delete anything (in a gui). This will also move it to the Wastebasket, not actually delete it (so you can still recover it). shift+del will actually delete the file, but it will prompt you first.

---------- Post added at 10:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:37 AM ----------

If you want move to wastebasket as the delete key then follow DangerMouses guide:http://www.dnmouse.org/autoten/index...ing-again.html
Old 2nd June 2012, 11:02 AM
secipolla Offline

linuxfirefox

Or just use Xfce in whatever Linux distribution you may like better.*
* I understood it the other way around. Xfce (Thunar) sends the file to trash directly with Del.

Last edited by secipolla; 2nd June 2012 at 03:46 PM.
Old 2nd June 2012, 11:09 AM
Yora0 Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox

I learned that this apparently is just one of the many cases in which Gnome Unity locks out users as much as possible to enforce everyone to use the GUI in the way they intended it without playing around with the settings.

So I will now get Fedora with KDE instead.

It's better to press Del and nothing happens, than to accidentally pres Del and move something to trash without noticing it happening.
Old 2nd June 2012, 03:39 PM
Gareth Jones Offline
Official Gnome 3 Sales Rep. (and Adminstrator)

linuxfirefox

Quote:
I learned that this apparently is just one of the many cases in which Gnome Unity locks out users as much as possible to enforce everyone to use the GUI in the way they intended it without playing around with the settings.
Unity is Ubuntu's thing, and it isn't GNOME. There is no Unity on Fedora.

Quote:
It's better to press Del and nothing happens
That's exactly how GNOME behaves by default.
Old 2nd June 2012, 03:45 PM
secipolla Offline

linuxfirefox

I understood your issue the other way round.
What you want is somewhat the GNOME behaviour, that requires you to press the Ctrl button together with Del.
But KDE isn't a bad choice, as it usually lets you configure it up to quite some detail.
Old 2nd June 2012, 06:08 PM
Yora0 Offline

linuxfirefox

I've been running Fedora 17 KDE for the last 4 yours and I am very happy with it.

Some minor inconveniences, but nothing that I couldn't change to my preferences so far. Unity seems actually a good choice for people who want a simple out of the box OS that just runs without any additional work. But that was actually the main reason I wanted to get away from Windows, so KDE seems to be the thing just for me.

The move to trash confirmation is actually a bit scary, though. With that large warning symbol and a full list of the items selected for deletion. But yeah, that's basically what I had asked for.
A last question, though: I can check "Do not ask again". Does that apply to the entire system or only to a given folder, set of folders, or something like that?
Old 2nd June 2012, 06:21 PM
secipolla Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
A last question, though: I can check "Do not ask again". Does that apply to the entire system or only to a given folder, set of folders, or something like that?
I don't have KDE anymore. But in a 'normal' desktop environment ( ;-) KDE has way too much options) that would mean it won't ask anymore for the current user.

Tags
deleting, files