Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 27th May 2012, 07:58 PM
cramcram Offline

windows_7firefox
Can't get intel 6250 wireless to work after upgrade

I bought an HP Pavilion DV6 notebook about a year ago for occasional use in debugging embedded systems. When booting Win7 wireless works fine. I also installed Fedora 15 with the 2.6.40.4-5.fc15.x86_64 kernel.

Wireless didn't work out of the box with that kernel. I remember I went to linuxwimax.org and got some drivers, etc. to make it work.

A week ago I used the system again and allowed it to update everything. With the new kernel (2.6.43) wireless again stopped working. After looking around I noticed that apparently the wimax chip (intel 6250) is supported in Fedora 16 so I did an upgrade install. Still no joy. When I look at the wireless info it is associating with the local network and getting an IP address, gateway, DNS, etc. However even a ping to the local network fails.

If I boot the original kernel (2.6.40) wireless works. I'm guessing something with the driver install I did to originally get it working has persisted between upgrades and is interfering with proper operation.

So does anyone know how to reverse this or install the correct driver/init file/etc. to get me up and running again?

Thanks,

Marc
Old 28th May 2012, 10:03 AM
george_toolan Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: Can't get intel 6250 wireless to work after upgrade

Can you boot Fedora 16 or 17 from a live cd and see if wifi is working?
Old 29th May 2012, 04:17 AM
cramcram Offline

windows_7firefox
Re: Can't get intel 6250 wireless to work after upgrade

Good suggestion!

I downloaded Fedora 17 Beta and it worked! Then I tried a liveusb with Fedora 16 and it failed.

I guess I'll wait for the official F17 release and then upgrade.

Thanks,

Marc

Tags
6250, intel, upgrade, wimax, wireless, work