Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 27th May 2012, 04:34 PM
okcomputer Offline

linuxopera
Audio hell on F17, where should I start?

Hello,

I recently made a clean install of the pre-release of F17, upgrading through Yum whenever update are available.
I'm a Linux user since Redhat 7, had sound problems before mainly because of Adobe Flash but it was manageable...

Things were working perfectly on F16 but since this fresh install of F17 it got out of control regarding sound problems, audio just hangs all the time and I always need to close every applications and pkill pulseaudio to get sound working again.
Of course I'm suspecting Flash of being the cause of those problems but I just can't avoid using it for now and it did work on F16.

Here are the softwares (requiring sound to work) that I'm using daily :
flash-plugin-11.2.202.233-release.x86_64
opera-next-12.00-1413.x86_64 (with Plugins on demand)
chromium-17.0.963.79-1.fc17.x86_64
chromium-ffmpegsumo-17.0.963.46-1.fc17.x86_64
mixxx-1.10.0-1.fc17.x86_64
vlc-2.0.1-1.fc17.x86_64
vlc-extras-2.0.1-1.fc17.x86_64
vlc-core-2.0.1-1.fc17.x86_64
skype-2.2.0.35-fc10.i586

I just don't know where to start to debug the whole thing since I'm quite unfamiliar with pulseaudio and alsa, could you guys please give me instructions how to understand the problem.

Thank you very much.

Code:
$ pulseaudio 
E: [pulseaudio] module-alsa-card.c: Failed to find a working profile.
E: [pulseaudio] module.c: Failed to load module "module-alsa-card" (argument: "device_id="29" name="platform-thinkpad_acpi" card_name="alsa_card.platform-thinkpad_acpi" namereg_fail=false tsched=yes fixed_latency_range=no ignore_dB=no deferred_volume=yes card_properties="module-udev-detect.discovered=1""): initialization failed.
alsa-info.txt
Code:
upload=true&script=true&cardinfo=
!!################################
!!ALSA Information Script v 0.4.60
!!################################

!!Script ran on: Sun May 27 15:28:05 UTC 2012

!!Linux Distribution
!!------------------

Fedora release 17 (Beefy Miracle) Fedora release 17 (Beefy Miracle) NAME=Fedora ID=fedora PRETTY_NAME="Fedora 17 (Beefy Miracle)" CPE_NAME="cpe:/o:fedoraproject:fedora:17" Fedora release 17 (Beefy Miracle) Fedora release 17 (Beefy Miracle)

!!DMI Information
!!---------------

Manufacturer:      LENOVO
Product Name:      7673D75
Product Version:   ThinkPad X61

!!Kernel Information
!!------------------

Kernel release:    3.3.6-3.fc17.x86_64
Operating System:  GNU/Linux
Architecture:      x86_64
Processor:         x86_64
SMP Enabled:       Yes

!!ALSA Version
!!------------

Driver version:     1.0.24
Library version:    
Utilities version:  1.0.25

!!Loaded ALSA modules
!!-------------------

snd_hda_intel
thinkpad_acpi

!!Sound Servers on this system
!!----------------------------

Pulseaudio:
      Installed - Yes (/usr/bin/pulseaudio)
      Running - No

Jack:
      Installed - Yes (/usr/bin/jackd)
      Running - No

!!Soundcards recognised by ALSA
!!-----------------------------

0 [Intel          ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel
                      HDA Intel at 0xf8220000 irq 44
29 [ThinkPadEC     ]: ThinkPad EC - ThinkPad Console Audio Control
                      ThinkPad Console Audio Control at EC reg 0x30, fw 7MHT25WW-1.03

!!PCI Soundcards installed in the system
!!--------------------------------------

00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 03)
Old 27th May 2012, 05:17 PM
secipolla Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: Audio hell on F17, where should I start?

Hi, I won't offer any solution but just say that i'll keep a look on this topic because I had a similar issue.
Up until about 3 weeks ago I was using F17/Xfce installed from the live-CD and sound was working fine, with pulseaudio.
This week I installed F17 from the minimal CD and sound wouldn't work when I install pulseaudio. I remember that when trying to launch volumeicon it would give a similar error as the one you posted (with the 'pulseaudio' command).

Sound is working fine for me but I don't have pulseaudio installed.
If we don't find a solution for this you could always resort as a last measure to remove pulseaudio but I see that there are many results for that error in Google so I'll hae a look at them.

-edit- first result I checked is a bit old but is related to ConsoleKit https://plus.google.com/107928060492...ts/Hm784haWwmJ
The problem I had may be related too as I'm using lxdm and maybe it doesn't play so well with ConsoleKit as gdm.

As a related favor, could you or someone else post the output of 'groups'. I don't know if my user show be a member of some group besides its own (like the 'pulse' one).

---------- Post added at 01:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:53 PM ----------

Sorry to have mixed my issues with yours but now reading about it I think that maybe I didn't have sound (in Firefox which was what I tested with) because I didn't create /etc/asound.conf

---------- Post added at 01:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:12 PM ----------

Your issue seems to be https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=737759

Last edited by secipolla; 27th May 2012 at 04:59 PM.
Old 27th May 2012, 06:02 PM
okcomputer Offline

linuxopera

Hi,

My user does not belong to any audio, pulse or jackuser group since from what I understood this is not required anymore since a few Fedora releases with stock GDM/Gnome.

From my previous experience, using a fancy DM could cause problems with ConsoleKit (anyway from what I see ConsoleKit in no more in F17, at lease on a standard install).
That means that if you're experiencing problem with lxdm, adding yourself to the audio/pulse might work.

Now, what your saying about /etc/asound.conf (I do have one) and thinkpad_acpi is interesting I'm just gonna try (even if I hope I won't have to permanently disable acpi to solve the problem !)

Cheers
Old 27th May 2012, 09:08 PM
secipolla Offline

linuxfirefox

In my case I had no sound at all (I'll wait final be released then I'll compare the live cd with my system).
From the Google links I read, it looked quite random the reason why pulseaudio didn't load. Some people solved by deleting the local config files or sometimes quite at random.
But in your case it may have to do with the hardware (although it may also be just a coincidence, as it worked fine before).
Old 28th May 2012, 12:38 AM
Penguinclaw Offline

linuxfirefox

I notice that although installed, Pulseaudio is not running. I am not an expert with sound but this for me looks suspicious. Previously, with my soundcard, I've had to totally remove Pulseaudio to get sound to work using Alsa. However this is quite a drastic option and may be not the solution to your particular issue. I wish I could offer more advice except to point you into the dirrection of why pulseaudio isn't working.

Good luck
Old 28th May 2012, 05:24 AM
stevea Offline

linuxfirefox

Yeah - maybe try to start manually like ...
pulseaudio --start

Tags
alsa, audio, f17, flash, hell, pulseaudio, start