Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 24th May 2011, 08:41 PM
Cuvou Offline

linuxfirefox
GNOME apps don't respect XFCE theme (F15)

Just upgraded to Fedora 15 this afternoon, and for the most part there weren't any serious issues with it (except for rpmfusion lagging on a F15 yum repo).

I installed the XFCE spin, and a lot of GNOME-specific apps don't respect my GTK+ theme at all.

Screenshot: http://imgur.com/HA1EU

On the left are two "XFCE" apps (Mousepad and Task Manager), on the right are two GNOME apps (gedit and the NetworkManager "Connection Information" window).

Is there an easy way to fix this? I have a custom Murrine theme set, but the problem is still there using the built-in themes such as Glossy too.

Edit: It seems like the only theme that works is the Adwaita theme.. this apparently is the only default theme that has a gtk-3.0 folder in it (the high/low contrast themes do too, but the others don't work with gtk-3.0; Raleigh has a gtk-3.0 folder but the theme doesn't affect gtk3 apps).

Last edited by Cuvou; 24th May 2011 at 09:14 PM. Reason: new information
Old 24th May 2011, 09:30 PM
nirik Offline
Community Manager

linuxmidori
Re: GNOME apps don't respect XFCE theme (F15)

Right. gnome is now gtk3. Xfce is and will be for a while still gtk2.

Old 17th May 2012, 08:47 AM
hunger Offline

linuxfirefox

Finally got around to installing Fedora 16 a few days ago (I was previously using Fedora 14) and noticed this issue too. Actually, Adwaita looks differerent to me as well. E.g., compare Adwaita in Gedit to Adwaitia in Firefox: the scrollbar is blue in Firefox for me but white and thicker in Gedit:

http://i.imgur.com/3YcNb.png

Eventually there will be themes that match across Gtk+2 and Gtk+3 yes?

Is there any temporary workaround to try go get better consistency? I know this seems like a really minor complaint to most people, but I prefer theme consistency whenever rpossible!
Old 17th May 2012, 05:11 PM
nirik Offline
Community Manager

macosmidori

Yeah, discussions are ongoing for Xfce 4.12 to switch to gtk3. So far developers aren't happy with the increased memory usage, but we will see.
Old 17th May 2012, 05:43 PM
Cuvou Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunger View Post
Finally got around to installing Fedora 16 a few days ago (I was previously using Fedora 14) and noticed this issue too. Actually, Adwaita looks differerent to me as well. E.g., compare Adwaita in Gedit to Adwaitia in Firefox: the scrollbar is blue in Firefox for me but white and thicker in Gedit:

http://i.imgur.com/3YcNb.png

Eventually there will be themes that match across Gtk+2 and Gtk+3 yes?

Is there any temporary workaround to try go get better consistency? I know this seems like a really minor complaint to most people, but I prefer theme consistency whenever rpossible!
The reason for the inconsistency is that Firefox isn't Gtk+3 yet. The Adwaita theme uses the Clearlooks engine for Gtk+2 apps (see the top of /usr/share/themes/Adwaita/gtk-2.0/gtkrc):

"# Please keep this gtkrc in sync with the other ones from Clearlooks based themes."
Old 17th May 2012, 07:04 PM
dsmithhfx Offline

macosfirefox

I installed xfce 4.10 on a default (Gnome 3) FC16 (using this repo), and haven't noticed any obvious discrepancies when using the greybird theme from xfcelook.org
Old 17th May 2012, 08:45 PM
hunger Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox

Thanks all. I get it now: most Gtk+2 themes just don't have Gtk+3 counterparts.

I'm getting some consistency with Clearwaita:

http://www.jpfleury.net/en/software/clearwaita.php

I still see subtle differences on Clearwaita between Gtk+2 and Gtk+3, but it's not the worst thing ever I guess.

I'll give Greybird a shot when I get back home from work!

Guess we're all stuck with a certain amount of inconsistency until Gtk+2 applications start moving to Gtk+3. (And, obviously there is always going to be inconsistency between Gtk+ and Qt).

Please keep us updated all if any of you reading are aware of, or find, any other themes that are reasonably consistent across Gtk+2 and Gtk+3.

Tags
fedora 15, gnome 3, xfce