Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Community Lounge > Linux Chat
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Linux Chat The place to talk about anything linux-related outside of Fedora

View Poll Results: How are you and GNOME Shell progressing as friends?
Disliked at first, now like 7 14.29%
Disliked at first, still dislike 11 22.45%
Disliked at first, now no opinion 0 0%
Liked at first, still like 15 30.61%
Liked at first, now dislike 2 4.08%
Liked at first, now no opinion 1 2.04%
No Opinion at first, now like 3 6.12%
No Opinion at first, still dislike 2 4.08%
No Opinion at first, now no opinion 1 2.04%
Gave it ago and gave up with it 7 14.29%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Old 16th May 2012, 10:54 PM
bigflopper2 Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: 1(ish) year of Fedora and GNOME Shell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
[...]

And the best way to get on with the business of improving the product is to work within it, rather than against it. Therefore, a continuing feedback loop is both healthy and necessary. And I think this thread and several like it are part of that process. And as the goal is constructive, rather than destructive, it's better that we focus our attentions and efforts likewise.
Ok Dan, my critics wasn't that constructive , I was confused because it sounds like "cmon guys, tell us...what do you think of gnome 3 after 1 year?"

if the gnome-devs want some constructive feedback they've to take this critics...sure, it's a different kind of feedback but what's this feedback worth without people telling them what's wrong instead of "lalala, my favourite color ist pink and I love g3"?

and btw, I got your point Dan, I'll stop posting about g3, because this will not end well (for me)

---------- Post added at 09:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:52 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug G View Post
I don't like one-way censorship. Unsubscribing from this topic.
thought so, but hey...it's gnome, let's just take it that way.

Last edited by bigflopper2; 16th May 2012 at 10:57 PM.
Old 16th May 2012, 11:19 PM
Gareth Jones Offline
Official Gnome 3 Sales Rep. (and Adminstrator)

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigflopper2 View Post
Ok Dan, my critics wasn't that constructive ,
At the risk of stirring things further (sorry!), for me the issue is always this: I like GNOME 3. It works for me, and I'm not a newbie or someone who only uses a web browser. I try to help others make it work for them. I don't assert that it always will work for them or that they're wrong when they find it really doesn't (at least I hope I don't – so shoot me down if I ever do!). We have choice in Linux and I encourage everyone to make the most of that.

I don't think anyone would have a problem with "I don't like GNOME 3 because...". That's constructive criticism, or close enough. But instead we so often get "Let's be honest, G3 is plain ****, impossible to work with", "G3 is unusable AND another important point, it's just bugware.", and "people telling them what's wrong instead of 'lalala, my favourite color ist pink and I love g3'". (My favourite colour is definitely not pink btw. )

It is what it is, you probably didn't contribute to it (I sure haven't...), and as you yourself noted, there are plenty of other options. It'd be nice if the GNOME developers responded to user concerns, but they've no obligation to do so unless they're employed by someone who cares! So this thread is more for our collective interest than an attempt to get GNOME 3 fixed/dumped/worshipped...

Last edited by Gareth Jones; 16th May 2012 at 11:23 PM. Reason: Eeek, the first version read like I was pretending to be a mod or something!
Old 17th May 2012, 12:50 AM
Wayne Offline

linuxubuntufirefox

Aren't the second and last choices similar?
Old 17th May 2012, 09:05 AM
bigflopper2 Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth Jones View Post
At the risk of stirring things further (sorry!), for me the issue is always this: I like GNOME 3. It works for me, and I'm not a newbie or someone who only uses a web browser. I try to help others make it work for them.
completely irrelevant and superfluous telling me you're not only using a browser, thanks

Quote:
I don't think anyone would have a problem with "I don't like GNOME 3 because...".
and I don't think you read earlier posts carefully,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post

However, if it really bakes your biscuits, there's always the Rants & Raves forum. But this one isn't the place. We're looking for things positive here.

Can do?
Freud would be proud

Quote:
That's constructive criticism, or close enough. But instead we so often get "Let's be honest, G3 is plain ****, impossible to work with", "G3 is unusable AND another important point, it's just bugware.", and "people telling them what's wrong instead of 'lalala, my favourite color ist pink and I love g3'". (My favourite colour is definitely not pink btw. )
well, this quote is completely out of context..my point is this:

if the gnome-devs want some constructive feedback they've to take this critics...sure, it's a different kind of feedback but what's this feedback worth without people telling them what's wrong

Quote:
It is what it is, you probably didn't contribute to it (I sure haven't...), and as you yourself noted, there are plenty of other options. It'd be nice if the GNOME developers responded to user concerns, but they've no obligation to do so unless they're employed by someone who cares! So this thread is more for our collective interest than an attempt to get GNOME 3 fixed/dumped/worshipped...
you could've used a couple more phrases and word cases... why not just tell everyone this is a non-critics thread instead of telling me completely irrelevant things like "It'd be nice if the GNOME developers responded to user concerns, but they've no obligation to do so unless they're employed by someone who cares!", has nothing to do with it...I would like to have the freedom to criticize and that's it, my fashion in doing so is debatable...but that was not determinative.
Old 17th May 2012, 09:30 AM
Adunaic Offline

linuxfirefox

@bigflopper2

Over the last few years we have had on going debates about GNOME Shell and how much people hate it and how much they like it.

The point of this thread was to find those who had stuck with GNOME Shell and see why. Nothing more. I was also perhaps looking to see if there were other people whom like me disliked certain features at first or who found a feature they liked and so stuck with GNOME Shell because of it.

No one is saying that you cannot critise, its just that most GNOME Shell threads degrade into flame wars and we wanted to avoid this. The thread is more about the poll than rants for and against GNOME Shell.

@Wayne

Yes, the second and last choices are similar - perhaps a mistake in the question really. The first 9 were intended for people who have stuck with GNOME Shell whilst the last is for those that gave up with it and jumped ship.
Old 17th May 2012, 11:00 AM
Wayne Offline

linuxsafari

I keep giving it another go but eventually it starts to drive me insane (more insane?) and I inevitably ditch it. I gave the RC of Mint 13 with Cinnamon a try but there were certain niggles (sound dropping out in VLC & Rhythmbox was one) Kubuntu will go back on my Laptop....
Old 17th May 2012, 01:58 PM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox

So, results so far,

20 dislike
25 like
2 no opinion

Pretty much a split decision, which only proves that there is no "one size fits all" desktop, but that is exactly what Gnome shell is trying to give people. And that has also been one of my biggest issues with it. If they were to allow people to change things via configuration options (like just about all other DE's out there do), then most of the complaints would end.
Old 17th May 2012, 02:06 PM
MALsPa Offline

linuxubuntuchrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBelton View Post
then most of the complaints would end
I don't know about that. Seems that Linux folks like to do a lot of complaining. Looking back a few years, there were certainly lots of folks complaining about GNOME 2.
Old 17th May 2012, 02:29 PM
Dan Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Seems that Linux folks like to do a lot of complaining.
Ayup. That's a fact. Me included at times.
Old 17th May 2012, 02:36 PM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox

Good point.

I still remember the switch from Gnome 1 to Gnome 2, and there were lots of complaints then as well.

Any time you have big changes to a key piece of software, there will be complaints. Not much way around it. If the Gnome devs had released the exact same software, but called it something besides Gnome, the complaints would have been far fewer. Even if they announced they were ending maintenance on Gnome at the same time.