Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 16th May 2012, 03:15 AM
Pedroski Offline

linuxfirefox
endless crashes

I just wonder if a) Fed 17 will be better, and b) is anyone having the same problems??

My computer crashes everytime I unplug the dsl cable. I have reported this to redhat bugzilla. Apart from updating, they haven't made any suggestions in a long time now.

This morning, I shut down Fed 16 normally at home, unplug speakers, charger, dsl cable, come to school. Switch on, computer won't start. It freezes half way through booting.

I have to start Windows, then reboot, to get Linux started. This happens with Fed 16 or Ubuntu. This does not happen with Windows, but I never use Windows. It is on the laptops I buy, and I leave it on a small partition. Windows seems to do a base reset of the system, then Linux can start it. Linux cannot do this.

As I don't have this problem with Windows, I am assuming no hardware failure. So Linux is at fault. This is a Toshiba Sattellite 600 laptop.

I have never had such problems with other computers, and I have used Fedora for a long time.

The computer also crashes after using the overhead projector in the classroom, and then unplugging that .

Does anyone have any idea what is going on, or why?? I update almost daily, so I have the latest and greatest packages.
Old 16th May 2012, 03:28 PM
tashirosgt Offline

linuxopera
Re: endless crashes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedroski View Post

My computer crashes everytime I unplug the dsl cable.
"Crashes" is subject to various interpretations. What exactly do you mean by it? Do you get a kernel panic? Does ctrl-alt-f2 bring up a console?

I'm sure the buzilla posters suggested that you check the log files.

What desktop are you using? Gnome3 ?

Quote:

I just wonder if a) Fed 17 will be better, and b) is anyone having the same problems??
I have had problems with newly configured XFCE spin versions of FC 16 "freezing" to various extents. By this, I mean that some or all of the functions of the keyboard and mouse cease to work. Sometimes they return if I wait a few minutes. Occasionally I have had what I would call a hard freeze where ctrl-alt F2 doesn't work and the numlock key doesn't work. (If the numlock key on your keyboard is supposed to light an LED, this is a simple test to see how badly the machine is frozen.) My problems are not related to unplugging a cable (I don't do that routinely) and my systems are desktop systems.

My impression of Fedora 16 is only based on having used FC 12 since iet was new and having recently installed FC 16 on some new machines. That said, I find the "mature" FC 16 to be buggy compared to FC 12.
Old 16th May 2012, 04:12 PM
hadrons123 Offline
'The Blue Dragon'

linuxfirefox

Quote:

My computer crashes everytime I unplug the dsl cable. I have reported this to redhat bugzilla. Apart from updating, they haven't made any suggestions in a long time now.
What is your Lan card?
Give us your link to bugzilla.
Quote:

This morning, I shut down Fed 16 normally at home, unplug speakers, charger, dsl cable, come to school. Switch on, computer won't start. It freezes half way through booting.
What is the error message?
Quote:
I have to start Windows, then reboot, to get Linux started. This happens with Fed 16 or Ubuntu. This does not happen with Windows, but I never use Windows. It is on the laptops I buy, and I leave it on a small partition. Windows seems to do a base reset of the system, then Linux can start it. Linux cannot do this.
windows does not do any resetting of your linux software.
How does your lan card work in windows?
Quote:

As I don't have this problem with Windows, I am assuming no hardware failure. So Linux is at fault. This is a Toshiba Sattellite 600 laptop.

I have never had such problems with other computers, and I have used Fedora for a long time.

The computer also crashes after using the overhead projector in the classroom, and then unplugging that .

Does anyone have any idea what is going on, or why?? I update almost daily, so I have the latest and greatest packages.
Give us error messages, logs... before you trash linux on whole.
Old 16th May 2012, 04:30 PM
tashirosgt Offline

linuxopera

Quote:
Originally Posted by hadrons123 View Post
before you trash linux on whole.
It's fair enough to criticize him for not giving more details, but that is an unwarranted acusation. Lot's of people use the observation that something works in Windows and not in Linux to conclude that their hardware is probably not at fault.
Old 16th May 2012, 11:13 PM
Pedroski Offline

linuxfirefox

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=781217

I am no expert. I provided them with the info they requested. Personally I believe this is connected to the ATI Radeon 6310 GPU.

I don't know what the error message is. The computer freezes completely, it is not possible to get a virtual terminal with ctrl alt f2.

The only solution is to hold down the on off switch, until the machine switches off, then start Win, then reboot.

Also, this is not getting any better despite all updates. I also have a partition with Ubuntu. After a crash, that will also not boot.. Only Win can boot.

People have suggested using other distros, but I have been using Fedora since Redhat 9. I can usually get things working, but this is a tough nut to crack!!
Old 17th May 2012, 01:17 AM
Penguinclaw Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox

I have had hardware problems recently that only linux "noticed" windows seemed to be oblivious to the fact that I had a dodgy cpu! So it is well worth checking the hardware as it could be a problem that will get worse and lead to data loss. As mentioned above check your logs for errors. Linux provides a wealth of info all the various aspects of your system.

Also does this crash happen at school? Have you tested your system with meemtest86 or mprime? These two apps will really test your system for faults and should be run preferably over-night.

I hope this helps and don't forget to post any errors if you can't interpret the results/logs
Old 17th May 2012, 01:40 AM
Pedroski Offline

linuxfirefox

I haven't checked with mprime, never heard of it. I did run memtest86 a while back, all night. No reports of failures. But I will check again. I will run memtest tonight again, see it that brings up anything.

Of course I use the laptop in school, plugged into the local network. The same happens. I need to go to class, I unplug the dsl cable, system crashes, so to avoid that, if I am plugged into the dsl network, I have to run down the computer, start Win, then reboot. You can imagine, that's not too much fun, as Fedora is a slow booter! I try to avoid using the dsl network at school.

Where can I find mprime for Fed??

Last edited by Pedroski; 17th May 2012 at 01:47 AM.
Old 17th May 2012, 06:22 AM
tashirosgt Offline

linuxopera

Quote:
I unplug the dsl cable, system crashes
Out of curiosity, do you deactivate the network connection before you unplug the cable? If not try doing so
Old 17th May 2012, 08:00 AM
RHamel Offline

linuxfirefox

Try an Alt+F4 the next time this happens.

Last edited by RHamel; 17th May 2012 at 08:05 AM.
Old 17th May 2012, 09:00 AM
Pedroski Offline

linuxfirefox

Well, I just crashed it again, and Alt F4 has no effect, so I tried all the other F buttons: nada! What should it do??
Just a note: I've tried unplugging the dsl cable, then quickly ctrl alt F2, call up a virtual terminal, but that freezes up on me too!

I don't normally manually deactivate the network before I shutdown, I thought the shutdown scripts did that. But I will try it. Good idea, I didn't think of that!
Old 18th May 2012, 12:52 PM
Pedroski Offline

linuxfirefox

Well I ran memtest all night last night 10 houra, no errors. I remember doing that before when this started.

Lets hope Fed 17 is an improvement!!
Old 20th May 2012, 10:25 PM
Pedroski Offline

linuxfirefox

I just wanted to mention: I have tried shutting down the dsl network first, then unplugging the dsl cable, several times now . The laptop still crashes!! But it was a good idea!
Old 20th May 2012, 10:34 PM
marko Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
You can imagine, that's not too much fun, as Fedora is a slow booter! I try to avoid using the dsl network at school.

Fedora is not inherently a slow booter, it boots to the login manager (the app you log into the desktop you want) on my laptop in 25 seconds. I have a moderately old Sony Vaio SZ-730 so it's not because my laptop is really fast. You probably have some delays due to some misconfiguration (using LVM adds some delay, but most users don't really need volume management, unfortunately it's the default in the installer)

Last edited by marko; 20th May 2012 at 10:58 PM.
Old 20th May 2012, 10:58 PM
Pedroski Offline

linuxfirefox

You're right there, I do have lvm. Don't know how to change that! Mostly it gets to 'Starting NFS' , then waits about half an hour, (no just kidding, but a long time) then continues to boot. Something often fails after that, maybe that's why it takes so long. I mean, I see [FAILED] on the boot screen.
I've never timed it, but I reckon it takes about 2-3 minutes on leaving the grub screen.
Starting NFS file locking service....

Last edited by Pedroski; 20th May 2012 at 11:01 PM.
Old 20th May 2012, 11:03 PM
marko Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
You're right there, I do have lvm. Don't know how to change that! Mostly it gets to 'Starting NFS' , then waits about half an hour, (no just kidding, but a long time) then continues to boot. I've never timed it, but I reckon it takes about 2-3 minutes on leaving the grub screen. Something often fails after that, maybe that's why it takes so long.

Starting NFS file locking service....
If you're not going to use NFS, get rid of that:

Quote:
systemctl disable nfs-server.service
running
Quote:

systemd-analyze blame
will also give you a lot of hints to what's slow

Quote:
You're right there, I do have lvm. Don't know how to change that!
The only way I know to not get stuck with LVM is to pick "Custom Partition" mode at install time and make my own partitions

Last edited by marko; 20th May 2012 at 11:11 PM. Reason: killing off nfs-lock probably isn't necessary, without nfs-server it takes little time at boot

Tags
crashes, endless