No text install at least for f18.

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/NewInstallerUI
Old 15th May 2012, 05:32 PM
Dan Offline
Administrator

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: anaconda installer movin' out of F18

<....>

Uh, oh! I can see BIG dragons there! Not the redesign. I think that's long overdue. Methinks the danger is in the non-inclusion of a text-based install. There are still waaaay too many problems with video drivers etc. (Read:nouveau) for that to be a good idea. <....>
Old 15th May 2012, 05:36 PM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox

Even if the text install is gone for just one release, it's going to cause a mass uprising, and there may even be a shortage of tar and a lot of bald birds around.

For some people that is the only way that they can get Fedora installed on their hardware.

Edit:

And yes, I also agree that the major overhaul to anaconda is long overdue. It really does need to be rewritten instead of the bandaids they have had to keep putting on it just to get it to keep functioning, and there really hasn't been a good way for them to add functionality.

Last edited by DBelton; 15th May 2012 at 05:39 PM.
Old 15th May 2012, 05:38 PM
hadrons123 Offline
'The Blue Dragon'

linuxfirefox

I wish fedora didnt have to go thru the transitions every six months, its time and man power consuming task. Smaller projects like Arch linux with hardly 100 people can do the transitions from gnome 3.2-->3.4 in much smoother way, whereas fedora struggles. It would have been better if fedora produces a solid installer or release CD every one year, and turn into a rolling release. Just my opinion.

edit::
anaconda is the fastest installer around, but why to change when its working. correct me if i am wrong.

Last edited by hadrons123; 15th May 2012 at 05:49 PM.
Old 15th May 2012, 07:29 PM
Gareth Jones Offline
Official Gnome 3 Sales Rep. (and Adminstrator)

linuxfirefox

I agree that Anaconda needs a redesign, especially the partitioning section. The current partitioning screen is going to be problematic with btrfs and its integrated volume management. I usually end up doing partitioning and formatting in a virtual terminal before the installer gets to the graphical partitioning screen.

The lack of a text installer is pretty serious though! According to the linked page, this is due to lack of man-power, and they intend to have a text installer in time for F19, but even so, surely they could include the old Anaconda as a fall-back for text mode for now?
Old 15th May 2012, 08:15 PM
sea Online
"Shells" (of a sub world)

linuxchrome

Some pics of the new installed:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Anaco..._Visual_Design

So far, i've found 2 installers that i'd call 'the masses are able to use them':
Which are:
* Anaconda
* The ubuntu installer

However, i do agree that anaconda 'feels' oldschool in its layout, specialy as it requires more ram than the actualy OS its installing!
This said, IMHO the first target of a new installer should be less RAM intense, which then in turn could counter-steer the 'need' for a CLI installer.
Repo (sea-devel) :: Text User Interface (TUI), Video Handler Script (VHS), efi-helper, grub2-circled-nasa-themes, Essentials (blame, p, rmtf, rnd, siggen, screenshot...), (BETA) Dev-Scripts, (BETA) Fedora Account Scripts (FAS)
Old 15th May 2012, 08:30 PM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox

I totally agree sea.

An installer should be just that. An installer, and nothing else. A bare stripped down applications that does just one thing, and does it well. Install the OS. It needs no bloat, no glitzy bling, no fancy graphics. It just needs screens to give the users choices and then go off and do it's job.

And if I see that freakin hot dog show up in anaconda, I'm dumping Fedora forever.
Old 15th May 2012, 08:40 PM
hadrons123 Offline
'The Blue Dragon'

linuxfirefox

Debian installer is less bells and whistles but decent enough to get you going. But even then I like anaconda.
Old 15th May 2012, 08:43 PM
deanej Offline

linuxchrome

I've always wondered why anaconda didn't naively support installing from USB; no wonder given that it hasn't seen major work in nearly a decade!
Old 15th May 2012, 08:44 PM
hadrons123 Offline
'The Blue Dragon'

linuxfirefox

@ deanej
I don't get what you are talking about.
i always install fedora from USB stick.
Old 15th May 2012, 08:50 PM
sea Online
"Shells" (of a sub world)

linuxfirefox

The DVD media install issues from USB can be found in HERE
Repo (sea-devel) :: Text User Interface (TUI), Video Handler Script (VHS), efi-helper, grub2-circled-nasa-themes, Essentials (blame, p, rmtf, rnd, siggen, screenshot...), (BETA) Dev-Scripts, (BETA) Fedora Account Scripts (FAS)
Old 15th May 2012, 08:53 PM
deanej Offline

linuxchrome

Yeah, depending on how you make the stick, you may have to install the packages by downloading them from the internet, as anaconda only looks on the optical drive by default. Note that I don't use live media to install, only the full DVD.
Old 15th May 2012, 10:57 PM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox

Same with me. I never use the livecd media, only the full DVD, and I usually only do fresh installs as well. And trying to get anaconda to install using the DVD media on a USB stick has been a real pain in the butt, which they say they have finally fixed for F17. (Just got the fix in, I believe for the TC3, so any installs done before that didn't have the fix in it)

I haven't tried it yet to be sure it works, though. The only install I have done since they put the fix in was on a box that won't boot from USB anyway