Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 14th May 2012, 04:57 PM
jiangshi Offline

linuxfirefox
Seeking advice from a network admin

Greetings!

I have a number of books that cover some parts of how to set up some pieces of networks. What I do not have is the bigger view of networking, as it would apply in a home set up or a very small business with just two or three computers in either case. I am thinking I would like to have one central box be like a file server where the other boxes could store files. In the past I have set up NFS for Linux boxes and Samba for any Windows boxes. Should I be using something else - NIS, FTP, ...??

Another problem I face is that I would like to avoid using hard-code (static?) IPs for the machines. My modem/router/switch issues IPs dynamically. I am not sure what to do to address the boxes by name. Do I need to set up DNS?

I realize that the services and types of servers to be set up are dependent upon the topology of the network. I would very much appreciate sort of a general run-down on a few common scenarios.

Thank you!

~jiangshi
Old 14th May 2012, 08:41 PM
lightman47 Online

linuxfirefox
Re: Seeking advice from a network admin

I use NFS/Samba.

I turned OFF DHCP on my router (and STATICed it at n.n.n.254), then configured DHCPD on my server to serve "static" dynamic addresses. Server itself I STATICed to n.n.n.253. Then popped all my machine names & "assigned" addresses into my /etc/hosts and turned on dnsmasq.

The benefit of the DHCPD is that all the machines remain DHCP (great for laptops that get connected elsewhere), but ALWAYS get the same IP when they boot up at home - therefore, you can reliably enter them in hosts and turn on dnsmasq on server so they all "know about" each other.

- is only what I did - there are lots of network folk on here with lots of great suggestions.

Last edited by lightman47; 14th May 2012 at 08:48 PM.
Old 14th May 2012, 10:48 PM
Doug G Offline

windows_7firefox

Something like http://www.freenas.org/ might be a solution for you.
Old 15th May 2012, 01:38 AM
BBQdave Offline
The Ubu-Grillmaster

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiangshi View Post
I realize that the services and types of servers to be set up are dependent upon the topology of the network. I would very much appreciate sort of a general run-down on a few common scenarios.
As you said, depending on your hardware and your needs...

I have an old eMac set up as a ftp file server and a network printer, along with various machines connected to a web router-switch-security bastion host device.

You can usually purchase said bastion host inexpensively and it is a good solution for networking a Small Office or Home Office. I have had little trouble in networking Windows, Mac and Linux machines together in this scenario.
Old 15th May 2012, 01:56 PM
jiangshi Offline

linuxfirefox

This looks very interesting. I played with FreeBSD and PCBSD for awhile. Thank you very much for your reply!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug G View Post
Something like http://www.freenas.org/ might be a solution for you.

---------- Post added at 05:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:40 AM ----------

This is a very good suggestion and easy to try. Thank you for your advice!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightman47 View Post
I use NFS/Samba.

I turned OFF DHCP on my router (and STATICed it at n.n.n.254), then configured DHCPD on my server to serve "static" dynamic addresses. Server itself I STATICed to n.n.n.253. Then popped all my machine names & "assigned" addresses into my /etc/hosts and turned on dnsmasq.

The benefit of the DHCPD is that all the machines remain DHCP (great for laptops that get connected elsewhere), but ALWAYS get the same IP when they boot up at home - therefore, you can reliably enter them in hosts and turn on dnsmasq on server so they all "know about" each other.

- is only what I did - there are lots of network folk on here with lots of great suggestions.

---------- Post added at 05:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:48 AM ----------

Another very interesting solution. I had not heard of bastion before. There are some very good points in setting up a network this way. Thank you for your suggestion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQdave View Post
As you said, depending on your hardware and your needs...

I have an old eMac set up as a ftp file server and a network printer, along with various machines connected to a web router-switch-security bastion host device.

You can usually purchase said bastion host inexpensively and it is a good solution for networking a Small Office or Home Office. I have had little trouble in networking Windows, Mac and Linux machines together in this scenario.

Tags
admin, advice, network, seeking