Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 13th May 2012, 11:23 AM
sgage Offline

windows_7firefox
Should updates-testing be enabled?

At this point in the dev cycle, should updates testing be enabled or not? I've heard both...
Old 13th May 2012, 12:02 PM
glennzo Online
Un-Retired Administrator

linuxfirefox
Re: Should updates-testing be enabled?

fedora-updates-testing or rpmfusion-free-updates-testing and rpmfusion-nonfree-updates-testing?

On my box fedora-updates-testing is disabled but the rpmfusion testing repos are still enabled. This was done by the system and not by me. As we approach release day I believe that the rpmfusion "testing" repos will be automagically disabled.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Laptop: Toshiba Satellite / Intel Core 2 Duo 1.73 GHz / 2GB / 160GB / Intel Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME/943/940GML Integrated Graphics
Desktop: BioStar MCP6PB M2+ / AMD Phenom 9750 Quad Core / 4GB / 1TB SATA / 500GB SATA / EVGA GeForce 8400 GS 1GB
Old 13th May 2012, 02:42 PM
weitjong Offline

linuxfirefox

No wonder I did not get any updates for the past few days. After checking the yum configuration files, my configuration for "updates-testing" repo was indeed changed to disable on 5 May by one of the update. I am not sure whether Fedora should do that or not at this point in time; or should it even do that without asking me!

I was hit by the GDM bug which has been reported a few days ago but someone has reported that it has been fixed since then. I was asking myself why my system could not see any updates over these few days. I just checked the repolist, as you can see there is no packages in the "updates" repository yet. All the goodies are still in the "updates-testing" as far as I can see.

Code:
# yum --enablerepo=updates-testing repolist
Loaded plugins: langpacks, presto, refresh-packagekit
repo id                           repo name                               status
fedora                            Fedora 17 - x86_64                      27,042
infinality                        Infinality                                  36
infinality-noarch                 Infinality - noarch                          3
rpmfusion-free                    RPM Fusion for Fedora 17 - Free            448
rpmfusion-free-updates            RPM Fusion for Fedora 17 - Free - Updat      0
rpmfusion-free-updates-testing    RPM Fusion for Fedora 17 - Free - Test     176
rpmfusion-nonfree                 RPM Fusion for Fedora 17 - Nonfree         187
rpmfusion-nonfree-updates         RPM Fusion for Fedora 17 - Nonfree - Up      0
rpmfusion-nonfree-updates-testing RPM Fusion for Fedora 17 - Nonfree - Te     37
updates                           Fedora 17 - x86_64 - Updates                 0
updates-testing                   Fedora 17 - x86_64 - Test Updates        9,596
repolist: 37,525
p.s. my GDM is still broken after updating my system from updates-testing but that's another story.
Old 13th May 2012, 02:54 PM
sgage Offline

linuxubuntufirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by weitjong View Post
No wonder I did not get any updates for the past few days. After checking the yum configuration files, my configuration for "updates-testing" repo was indeed changed to disable on 5 May by one of the update. I am not sure whether Fedora should do that or not at this point in time; or should it even do that without asking me!

I was hit by the GDM bug which has been reported a few days ago but someone has reported that it has been fixed since then. I was asking myself why my system could not see any updates over these few days. I just checked the repolist, as you can see there is no packages in the "updates" repository yet. All the goodies are still in the "updates-testing" as far as I can see.

Code:
# yum --enablerepo=updates-testing repolist
Loaded plugins: langpacks, presto, refresh-packagekit
repo id                           repo name                               status
fedora                            Fedora 17 - x86_64                      27,042
infinality                        Infinality                                  36
infinality-noarch                 Infinality - noarch                          3
rpmfusion-free                    RPM Fusion for Fedora 17 - Free            448
rpmfusion-free-updates            RPM Fusion for Fedora 17 - Free - Updat      0
rpmfusion-free-updates-testing    RPM Fusion for Fedora 17 - Free - Test     176
rpmfusion-nonfree                 RPM Fusion for Fedora 17 - Nonfree         187
rpmfusion-nonfree-updates         RPM Fusion for Fedora 17 - Nonfree - Up      0
rpmfusion-nonfree-updates-testing RPM Fusion for Fedora 17 - Nonfree - Te     37
updates                           Fedora 17 - x86_64 - Updates                 0
updates-testing                   Fedora 17 - x86_64 - Test Updates        9,596
repolist: 37,525
p.s. my GDM is still broken after updating my system from updates-testing but that's another story.
Yes, in another thread, someone said that the updates-testing repo would be disabled, and that one should run a yum distro-sync to get with the program. I did, and many 10's of packages were downgraded. Is any of the stuff in updates-testing going to make it into updates? Is it too early to disable updates-testing? Do the devs even want us testing and reporting issues at this point?

It's just over a week until final release...

[edit: just for grins, I enabled updates-testing. Yum wanted to update 157 packages for a total download of 228 MB! ]

Last edited by sgage; 13th May 2012 at 03:08 PM.
Old 13th May 2012, 03:20 PM
weitjong Offline

linuxfirefox

Thanks for the info. I have just a "distro-sync" and yum downgraded 9 packages. Among them is the "accountservice" package. I am more than delighted to accept it. After a reboot, as expected, my GDM is working again! Yes!

Last edited by weitjong; 13th May 2012 at 03:24 PM.
Old 13th May 2012, 03:26 PM
smr54 Online

linuxopera

I just ran into something myself--I was installing skype on a new 64 bit machine, and aside from protected multilibs, I was getting, after settng that to false, errors like install libThis.x86_64 is newer than libThis.i686. In the end, as this is a machine that will probably be completely reinstalled in the future, I just did --enable=updates-testing.

Your solution is better for a serious workstation--that is, something where it's more important that you don't break it if breaking is avoidable. My solution has a greater risk of breaking something--in this case, I wouldn't really care if it did, but it's worth pointing out.
Old 13th May 2012, 04:02 PM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox

well, if you have a machine that is important enough that you don't want to risk breaking anything, then you really shouldn't be running Fedora on it (much less a development version) to begin with.

But yes. in the development cycle, they normally do disable the updates-testing repo right before the final release, so that when the final release hits, only the people that actually have gone in and manually enabled updates-testing will have it enabled. (and I do believe that glennzo is correct, rpmfusion-*-updates-testing gets disabled, too, I believe)

But, to answer the original question. You can enable updates-testing if you wish. There probably won't be any more updates push to the regular updates repo until afte rthe final release unless they are the critical bug blocker bug fixes.

Last edited by DBelton; 13th May 2012 at 04:05 PM.
Old 13th May 2012, 04:03 PM
sgage Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by smr54 View Post
I just ran into something myself--I was installing skype on a new 64 bit machine, and aside from protected multilibs, I was getting, after settng that to false, errors like install libThis.x86_64 is newer than libThis.i686. In the end, as this is a machine that will probably be completely reinstalled in the future, I just did --enable=updates-testing.

Your solution is better for a serious workstation--that is, something where it's more important that you don't break it if breaking is avoidable. My solution has a greater risk of breaking something--in this case, I wouldn't really care if it did, but it's worth pointing out.
Well, since F17 is still pre-release, I wouldn't be putting it on a serious workstation just yet, myself. I consider my F17 installation to be in testing mode. Think I'll enable updates-testing and see what breaks
Old 18th May 2012, 10:23 PM
bigflopper2 Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennzo View Post
fedora-updates-testing or rpmfusion-free-updates-testing and rpmfusion-nonfree-updates-testing?

On my box fedora-updates-testing is disabled but the rpmfusion testing repos are still enabled. This was done by the system and not by me. As we approach release day I believe that the rpmfusion "testing" repos will be automagically disabled.
happened today, rpmfusion testing repos got disabled
Old 19th May 2012, 01:18 AM
nonamedotc Offline
Community Manager

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgage View Post
Well, since F17 is still pre-release, I wouldn't be putting it on a serious workstation just yet, myself. I consider my F17 installation to be in testing mode. Think I'll enable updates-testing and see what breaks
It has been *incredibly* well behaved so far! No breakages yet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigflopper2 View Post
happened today, rpmfusion testing repos got disabled
Oh yeah! It did!

Tags
enabled, updatestesting