Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 11th May 2012, 04:47 AM
paulga Offline

linuxfirefox
questions about installation of packages

I just installed fedora 12 to a small partition (4G) and all directories (/, swap) are on it. after installation I managed to make a 8G blank space, formatted as ext4 and mounted as /outresource. I plan to install some bulky software like intel C++/fortran composer suites and/or openoffice there.
Usually when I install packages I would simply run "yum install ..." as root and this is really an automated process. in my case how can I tell yum to install packages in /outresource instead of the default partition, which is usually in "/" and thus the small disk would be quick crammed up if I dont make changes to the yum command.
Thanks a lot.
Old 11th May 2012, 05:04 AM
aleph Offline
Banned (for/from) behaving just like everybody else!

linuxfirefox
Re: questions about installation of packages

man yum and search for "installroot." It's like chrooted yum. I haven't really used it myself. And I wonder how (and if) the installed package will interact with the rest of the system.

The command will look like "yum --installroot=/outresources --releasever=/ install stuff"
Old 11th May 2012, 08:09 AM
Yellowman

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulga View Post
I just installed fedora 12 to a small partition (4G) and all directories (/, swap) are on it. after installation I managed to make a 8G blank space, formatted as ext4 and mounted as /outresource. I plan to install some bulky software like intel C++/fortran composer suites and/or openoffice there.
Usually when I install packages I would simply run "yum install ..." as root and this is really an automated process. in my case how can I tell yum to install packages in /outresource instead of the default partition, which is usually in "/" and thus the small disk would be quick crammed up if I dont make changes to the yum command.
Thanks a lot.
rpm's aren't relocatable so it will fail.
Old 21st May 2012, 01:43 AM
paulga Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

I managed to find a larger partition and reinstalled fedora 12. hope this could last a while~
Thank you !
Old 21st May 2012, 01:48 AM
bob Offline
Administrator (yeah, back again)

Location: Colton, NY; Junction of Heaven & Earth (also Routes 56 & 68).
linuxfirefox

Moved to EOL (a bit late, but it's supposed to be EOL, so might as well move it).
Registered Linux User #362651

Don't use any of my solutions on working computers or near small children.

Tags
installation, packages, questions