Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 7th May 2012, 07:53 PM
N1ght Offline

windows_7chrome
Unhappy How can I run a tar.bz2 file?

Hello, i have a big problem, its my first day on Linux.

Im not able to set-up wireless, so i downloaded from another tutorial here:
http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/sho....php?p=1514534

the broadcom file, and i dont understand, where do i need to put it, and when i try to run this

tar xjf broadcom-wl-4.150.10.5.tar.bz2
Its says wrong directory , etc.

Please , i need fast fix
Old 7th May 2012, 08:00 PM
nonamedotc Offline
Community Manager

linuxfirefox
Re: How can I run a tar.bz2 file?

It is probably because you are not in the same directory as the location of the tar file. Navigate to the folder that contains the *.tar.bz2 file and then excute the command. Alternatively,

Code:
tar xjf /dir1/dir2/broadcom-wl-4.150.10.5.tar.bz2
/dir1/dir2 represents the path to that file - something like /home/user/Downloads.

Hope this helps.
Old 7th May 2012, 08:10 PM
N1ght Offline

windows_7chrome

I have put the file in download directory but it gives : no such file or direcotry, oh how I dont udnerstand this...
tar (child): Error is not recoverable: exiting now
tar: Child returned status 2

And so on, it seems i dont know where to put it. although it in Downloads folder..

Last edited by N1ght; 7th May 2012 at 08:14 PM.
Old 7th May 2012, 09:03 PM
sea Online
"Shells" (of a sub world)

linuxfirefox

As its your first day on linux, let me collect some assumptions...

You downloaded the file, probably to Downloads, this makes it to be in $HOME/Downloads, which is equial to /home/N1ght/Download (or whatever you OS login name is..).

So you open a console/terminal and type:
* cd ~/Downloads
* tar -axf broadcom-and hit TAB to autocompletem if it doesnt, you're in the wrong path!
* hit enter*
Old 7th May 2012, 10:16 PM
Gareth Jones Offline
Official Gnome 3 Sales Rep. (and Adminstrator)

linuxfirefox

If you're happier working graphically, you can right-click on the tar file, and choose "Extract Here" from the pop-up menu (or equivalent if you use something other than GNOME).

You'll still have to use a terminal for any other commands thought, and you'll have to "cd ~/Downloads/broadcom-wl-4.150.10.5/driver" before running "su -c 'b43-fwcutter -w /lib/firmware wl_apsta_mimo.o'".

As sea said, you can use tab-completion in the terminal to save typing long names and reduce errors.

EDIT: Of course, change "Downloads" to whatever the downloads directory is called in your locale setting!

Tags
file, run, tarbz2