Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 6th May 2012, 02:05 PM
rehcla Offline

linuxfirefox
Exclamation Another LTS discussion

Hi all!

Most of you did notice the great news about Valves upcoming Linux support for Steam, and there are also
rumors that EA and Blizzard will follow....
So thats a sign that Linux is getting more and more popular!

If you think one step further, there is the question what distributions will be supported by this companies!

So no doubt, Ubuntu will be very attractive for them, cause it has a LTS Version what is supported 5 years and every two years there is a new version they can suppor without a hassle!

As a Fedora User I would like to see my favorite distro supported as well, so I think we need a Fedora LTS, supported 2 years as well without breaking compatibility for commercial Programms!

I love kernel upgrades, so maybe it is not a bad idea to outsource them to a extra repo where the users can decide whenever they wish to upgrade to a new kernel version (3.3--> 3.4) or not!

If Red Hat would decide to jump on the train, I would buy a "Red Hat Desktop" as well and recommend it to my friends!!!

What do you think?
Old 6th May 2012, 02:11 PM
sea Online
"Shells" (of a sub world)

linuxchrome
Re: Another LTS discussion

Fedora has a fast release cylce because its bleeding edge, and everything new doesnt wait for a LTS to run out.
This said, Red Hat has 3 LTS distros, Scientific Linux, CentOS and of course Red Hat Enterprise Linux.

Those 3 are not the fanciest, but stable and dont change releases as often as Fedora.

IMHO, as a Fedora user, you'd like to tweak your system and 'play' with settings which are required for your favorite application to run.
Old 6th May 2012, 02:28 PM
rehcla Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Fedora has a fast release cylce because its bleeding edge, and everything new doesnt wait for a LTS to run out.
This said, Red Hat has 3 LTS distros, Scientific Linux, CentOS and of course Red Hat Enterprise Linux.
I know that... You cannot count CentOS and Sientific Linux to Red Hat, they are independent projects!

Quote:
Those 3 are not the fanciest, but stable and dont change releases as often as Fedora.

IMHO, as a Fedora user, you'd like to tweak your system and 'play' with settings which are required for your favorite application to run.
Yes, thats true and applies for me too...!

But if you take a look at the amazing number of people using Fedora not to play around with configurations and testing, instead using Fedora as a reliable Desktop for daily use, see and think about their desires too...

Fedora Ambassadors and Fedora Enthusiast spend a lot of time convincing people that Fedora is not the Alpha Playground of Red Hat!

All I want to say is that I would love to see a "Consumer Desktop" from Red Hat, not as outdated as RHEL in terms as a Desktop, but longer supported as Fedora as it is now...

The question is, do we want to take a piece of the cake when Consumers interest hits the Linux Market, or do we leave that to Canonical?
Old 6th May 2012, 04:42 PM
Gareth Jones Offline
Official Gnome 3 Sales Rep. (and Adminstrator)

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by rehcla View Post
I know that... You cannot count CentOS and Sientific Linux to Red Hat, they are independent projects!
Yes, but they intentionally clone RHEL package-for-package.

Quote:
All I want to say is that I would love to see a "Consumer Desktop" from Red Hat, not as outdated as RHEL in terms as a Desktop, but longer supported as Fedora as it is now...
Long-term-support releases will always become out-of-date, even if they don't start it. People who specifically want an up-to-date desktop are not likely to be sticking with LTS releases.

Quote:
The question is, do we want to take a piece of the cake when Consumers interest hits the Linux Market, or do we leave that to Canonical?
If closed-source software companies targeting Linux think that Fedora represents a large enough section of the Linux "market", then they'll support it. Most likely they'll be using a near-bleeding-edge distro like Fedora internally to maintain their ports.

I'm afraid you're unlikely to find much support in community-based non-"enterprise" distros for allowing closed-source software companies mandate release cycles and support periods. That is exactly what the enterprise distros are for, amongst other things.

Last edited by Gareth Jones; 7th May 2012 at 05:32 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 7th May 2012, 11:45 AM
aleph Offline
Banned (for/from) behaving just like everybody else!

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by rehcla View Post
As long as there's money in it, Red Hat will do it. They already have the user base (us Fedora fundamentalists users) and the technology (talented devs, infrastructure, etc), and a solid reputation of innovation and leadership.

But for now there's little money in it, so the job is delegated to the likes of Mark Shuttleworth who has billions of $$$ to squander.