Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 7th May 2012, 03:53 AM
Thetargos Online

macosfirefox
nVidia drivers, mode setting and graphics...

At a LONG last I was able to get Fedora 16 running on my Mac 7,1.

Everything works alright, provided the right drivers are in place (WL for the Broadcom WLAN). Everything except for the graphics, once the nVidia drivers are installed. Since I boot with the EFI Stub, I am still learning about how to properly configure the boot process.

Once the drivers are installed, I can boot in single user or text mode just fine, alas, with modesetting still active, which, AFAIK is what causes the nvidida driver hiccups to start X, so I was wondering how to effectively turn modesetting off?

Parsing the rdblacklist=nouveau and modset=0 to the kenel through the refind_linux.conf doesn't seem to do the trick. I'm not sure if the initramfs image is actually stripped from the nouveau, however lspci -vv in single user mode lists 'nvidia' as the currently used driver, and both nvidia and nouveau as the available kernel modules.

In the mean time, I'll keep searching and reading...

FedoraForum Community forums lurker.
Fedora user since RHL 5.2 :cool:

Systems: Laptop, Main System, Netbook.

Tags
drivers, graphics, mode, nvidia, setting