Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 6th May 2012, 04:42 PM
goodfella Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: Is fedora for servers?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RupertPupkin View Post
BSD? Bah, that's for noobs and weaklings. Real men use Plan 9. That's a real OS!
Unix System V on a 3290 main frame is for real men.
SunOS is for real men. I have worked with both.

Plan 9 on a little PC is for twinks.
Old 6th May 2012, 05:04 PM
RupertPupkin Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodfella View Post
Unix System V on a 3290 main frame is for real men.
SunOS is for real men. I have worked with both.

Plan 9 on a little PC is for twinks.
I sense that you're missing the point.
OS: Fedora 20 x86_64 | Machine: HP Pavilion a6130n | CPU: AMD 64 X2 Dual-Core 5000+ 2.6GHz | RAM: 5GB PC5300 DDR2 | Disk: 400GB SATA | Video: ATI Radeon HD 4350 512MB | Sound: Realtek ALC888S | Ethernet: Realtek RTL8201N
Old 6th May 2012, 05:30 PM
Gareth Jones Offline
Official Gnome 3 Sales Rep. (and Adminstrator)

linuxfirefox

Quote:
As a unix kernel developer I can say right now that Linux is a ripoff from Bell Labs,
berkeley BSD, etc. That means CentOS is a ripoff too. A real server should run Open BSD or Free BSD. Those are the real OS's.
I'm not sure how you define "rip-off", particularly since the SCO legal saga, but I'd argue that Linux for the most part caught up with and overtook its forebears many years ago now. The current crop of BSDs are certainly good options for certain types of servers, but for others Linux distros such as CentOS make more sense.

And whilst we're baiting the flames, allegedly even Windows can run a server of sorts these days, but I wouldn't touch it with a barge-pole...
Old 6th May 2012, 06:22 PM
smr54 Online

linuxsafari

A real server

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXL-g...eature=related
Old 6th May 2012, 06:25 PM
hadrons123 Offline
'The Blue Dragon'

linuxfirefox

Quote:
As a unix kernel developer I can say right now that Linux is a ripoff from Bell Labs,
berkeley BSD, etc. That means CentOS is a ripoff too. A real server should run
Open BSD or Free BSD. Those are the real OS's.
since you are a unix developer you allege that linux is a rip off.

By the same principle, since I am fedora user, I can say that you are a troll.
Old 6th May 2012, 06:31 PM
Dan Online
Administrator

linuxfirefox

Huh?!

Ooooohkay! This should prove interesting!

*Dan heads to the kitchen to pop up a bowl of popcorn, and fetch a fresh glass of iced tea.*
Old 6th May 2012, 08:11 PM
Gareth Jones Offline
Official Gnome 3 Sales Rep. (and Adminstrator)

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by smr54 View Post

Now feel sorry for the line-people who occasionally catch those serves in unfortunate places...
Old 6th May 2012, 08:15 PM
yaxattax Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
If you install CentOS it will look like a two year old Fedora OS.
I agree, but that is the attraction and purpose of using CentOS for a server - it doesn't change frequently and what is changed is more rigorously tested.

All current fedora users are essentially beta testers for RHEL approx 2-4 years from now.
Old 6th May 2012, 08:24 PM
smr54 Online

linuxchrome

To really comment on this, I'd have to go back and review the history of Unix, BSD, and Linux. My vague memory is that BSD and AT&T had long battles and BSD basically re-wrote most of whatever code they'd done for AT&T, and that Linus was trying to make some sort of clone to use. Meanwhile, the GNU folks (Gnu is Not Unix, for those who have forgotten what it stands for), were trying to create opensource things that replicated what Unix, which at the time was closed source and expensive, was doing.

Honestly, I don't think that any of the folks have the moral ground to say one was stolen from another--there was certainly replication and attempts to duplicate, mostly to make it available for more people.

Some of the BSD stuff is taken from Linux, and vice versa. Windows has probably taken from all of them, Apple's userland is heavily based on BSD userland, and so on, a funny joke I told the other day was based on an old Eddie Murphy routine, an extremely amusing (to me) scene in 30 Rock with Alec Baldwin and Tina Fey was heavily based upon the Honeymooners.
Old 6th May 2012, 08:40 PM
steelaworkn Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Huh?!

Ooooohkay! This should prove interesting!

*Dan heads to the kitchen to pop up a bowl of popcorn, and fetch a fresh glass of iced tea.*
In the suspense of it all, I went through a whole 14 oz bag of Peanut M&Ms and a pot of coffee. I learn a lot on this forum. And I though Bell Labs was just on Fringe.

Intel DP35DP MB; Nvidia 440 2 gig Video Card; 8 gigs of ram; Intel Core Duo 2.20 gig; Hp Officejet Pro L7580; LVM F20 64bit using 3 320g HDs and dual monitors.
Old 7th May 2012, 12:08 AM
yaxattax Offline

windows_7firefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by smr54 View Post
To really comment on this, I'd have to go back and review the history of Unix, BSD, and Linux. My vague memory is that BSD and AT&T had long battles and BSD basically re-wrote most of whatever code they'd done for AT&T, and that Linus was trying to make some sort of clone to use. Meanwhile, the GNU folks (Gnu is Not Unix, for those who have forgotten what it stands for), were trying to create opensource things that replicated what Unix, which at the time was closed source and expensive, was doing.

Honestly, I don't think that any of the folks have the moral ground to say one was stolen from another--there was certainly replication and attempts to duplicate, mostly to make it available for more people.

Some of the BSD stuff is taken from Linux, and vice versa. Windows has probably taken from all of them, Apple's userland is heavily based on BSD userland, and so on, a funny joke I told the other day was based on an old Eddie Murphy routine, an extremely amusing (to me) scene in 30 Rock with Alec Baldwin and Tina Fey was heavily based upon the Honeymooners.
One thing I'd like to add to this as I think is worthy of mention, is that a lot of telecomms research was going on at Berkley, and you'll find versions of BSD named the same as some types of TCP schemes - a testament to the fact that modern networking grew up on BSD unix. It is for this reason that you'll find that the best servers for network related applications are BSD or BSD related. For example, I believe freeBSD holds the record for most concurrently held TCP sessions, and BSD's pf (packet filter) performs much better than linux's iptables, to the extent that a special version of freeBSD has evolved based around pf and providing pf functionality and interfaces, pfSense.
Old 7th May 2012, 12:57 AM
jpollard Online

linuxfirefox

Out of curiosity, what are the records you refer to?

I know the SysV based UNICOS could generate something on the order of 5-8,000 simultaneous TCP connections (bug in a script) per second on one CPU... And I believe the T3E could do that about 10 times faster... As could IRIX on an Origin 2000...

And the current Cray systems are Linux based, and I'm pretty sure they beat any BSD based system.

Tags
fedora, servers