Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 5th May 2012, 11:40 PM
oboedad55 Offline

linuxfirefox
cheap laser printer

Hi, can someone recommend a cheap laser printer that will work with Fedora 16? I've got a Brother HL-1435 that is dying.

TIA!
Registered Linux user #436067
Old 6th May 2012, 12:30 AM
Penguinclaw Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: cheap laser printer

My Samsung ML-2240 works a treat though you need to install 3rd party drivers (they're easy to install and the official samsung site directs you to the download site). Of course my model is no longer produced but it may be worth checking out their latest offerings (and double check that the drivers are available).
Old 6th May 2012, 02:11 AM
smr54 Online

linuxchrome

Newegg often has sales on the Brother HL20-something--I think the current is 2270W.

Ah, here it is, about $80 plus $2.00 shipping.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16828113545

I think current Fedora doesn't even need you to get the driver from Brothers anymore.

One other trick with these printers--they'll start giving an out of toner, or toner low message well ahead of time. Mine stopped working for that reason, but printing seemed to be dark enough so that it seemed unlikely. Doing some googling, I found it's fairly common, and if one just covers the lens on the right side of the toner--or even uses a black sharpie--it will continue to print quite awhile longer.
Old 6th May 2012, 02:20 AM
goodfella Offline

linuxfirefox

At my electronics store they have 4 HP LaserJet 5SI's for $95. A couple of them have
the duplexor. They all have the rolling paper cabinets. Those things are not like the cheap
junky throw-away printers that you can get at the local computer store. They print all
day and parts/toner cartridges are available and cheap.
Old 6th May 2012, 05:50 PM
PatMcLJr Offline

linuxopera

I've seen HP4M's on at the Thrift Store and on CraigsList for $20
I got a cart for mine a weeks back from newegg for $25 including the shipping. Worked great.

I bought an old HP 8000 off CraigsList a few years back, I like that printer.

Depending on what you use it for, I would suggest you consider the cost of supplies and cost per copy. Check out the estimated yield per toner cart. Some of those are shockers.
Pat Jr.
Old 7th May 2012, 05:51 PM
oboedad55 Offline

linuxfirefox

Thanks everyone for the recommendations. I found a lightly used Brother HL-2140 for $25 on craigslist, which is actually what I was looking for. Craigslist is totally hit or miss, you never know what, if anything, you're gonna find there.
Registered Linux user #436067
Old 7th May 2012, 06:11 PM
BBQdave Offline
The Ubu-Grillmaster

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguinclaw View Post
My Samsung ML-2240 works a treat though you need to install 3rd party drivers (they're easy to install and the official samsung site directs you to the download site). Of course my model is no longer produced but it may be worth checking out their latest offerings (and double check that the drivers are available).
I know you already went with Craigslist, but I would also recommend Samsung. I have the ML-2955DW network model, and it works great with all the computers on my home network (Windows, Mac, Fedora 16).
The print driver was already loaded on F16, so I just used the Printing application to locate the network printer, very simple
There are Linux drivers available (from Samsung) to manage the printer. I did not load them, as I am using a Mac to manage the printer. You do not need software to manage the printer, you can do it directly from the printer. Samsung is currently offering solid printers, friendly to whatever OS you are using.

Tags
cheap, laser, printer