Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 6th May 2012, 04:07 PM
vhradice Offline

linuxfirefox
Lost grub2 (and found it again)

I was cleaning up my system getting rid of winxp (I had it on a separate hard drive) and deleted all of the stuff associate with it. I copied off all that I wanted and I was going to reformat the drive to add the space to my Fedora volgroup. I used gparted to delete the partitions. I got the message I had to reboot to clean up residual pointers. I rebooted and I lost grub2. I then remembered I had put grub2 in the mbr of that hard drive. After spending hours trying to get every thing back and failing, I decided that the only may was to re-install Fedora and hope my data was saved. I loaded the FC16 DVD and started to upgrade my system. To my surprise, the instal process rebuilt a good grub2 configuration and, because I have kept up with the fixes and updates to Fedora, no software was reloaded. Bottom line - next time I screw up grub2 (not very likely from now on) I will just go through the install and let it rebuild my grub2 configuration.

I hope this save someone else some time when they lose grub2.
Old 6th May 2012, 04:17 PM
glennzo Offline
Un-Retired Administrator

linuxfirefox
Re: Lost grub2 (and found it again)

You can also reinstall grub using the installation DVD. There is something called rescue mode that is part of the menu seen when you boot the DVD. Using rescue mode takes approximately 2 minutes.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Laptop: Toshiba Satellite / Intel Core 2 Duo 1.73 GHz / 2GB / 160GB / Intel Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME/943/940GML Integrated Graphics
Desktop: BioStar MCP6PB M2+ / AMD Phenom 9750 Quad Core / 4GB / 1TB SATA / 500GB SATA / EVGA GeForce 8400 GS 1GB

Tags
grub2, lost