This goes in rants primarily because I know at least part of it was my fault.
At any rate, I had once, in error, bought an HP all in one that was wireless only. It had no wired connection, and when I got it home, it took a few hours of googling to get it working without Windows.
So...that printer has been dying, and when it stopped printing color for the one time I needed it to do so, I decided it was time to buy a new one. As we don't print very much, an HP inkjet was fine, and doing some googling saw one with decent reviews at a price I was willing to pay. Also, remembering the nightmare in the past, I did some more googling and it was now apparently pretty easy--one could enter things in the network setup, or use an adhoc configuration to configure it, or even use WPS setup, where you push a button on the printer and one on your router.
Got it home, followed the instructions, which were to basically push buttons and follow what it said. However, the WPS stuff, both push button and PIN both failed. Then, I tried manually entering an address. I would enter the IP I wanted to give it, then the subnet mask, and it would give me a message that it failed and was reverting.
I then manually entered in my network name and password, but that failed to connect too. (I also, at various times, did the obvious, reboot the printer, reset the router, etc.)
I then gave up, and booted it into Windows on a VM. This is where it was my fault, by this time, I was too aggravated to look at the instructions again, where it specifically says don't connect the USB cable until instructed. Oops. (I didn't know this yet, though). I was just seeing that Windows wasn't finding the printer.
Ironically, both Linux and Mac were able to easily find the printer if connected by USB, but gave me no option to configure networking.
Finally, I tried one more time to connect by manually entering the network name and password and it finally took. At that point, though, from chromium, I wasn't able to get in and change anything. I was able to with OS X, using Safari.
After calming down, and looking at the manual again, I realized that the Windows install would have probably worked if I'd done it correctly. What I find aggravating though is that apparently, if installed on Windows, one can go in and configure a network. On OS X, their instructions for changing from USB to network were to disconnect the cable and do the whole printer LED panel thing that was giving me so much aggravation in the first place.
Well, now that I've shared my aggravation, I feel better. That was easy.
Upshot is that it now works fine and can be turned off when not in use but connects when turned on. And, the thing that my wife needed to print now prints perfectly, though she'd already just put it on a CD and taken it to a friend's to print.