Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 4th May 2012, 10:55 PM
Welly Wu Offline

linuxchrome
Asus bw-12d1s-u/blk/g

http://www.amazon.com/External-Blu-R...6167787&sr=8-1

One of my good friends bought me a used ASUS BW-12D1S-U/BLK/G Blu-Ray optical drive with Super Speed USB 3.0 technology from Amazon recently. I have an ASUS N61JV-X2 notebook PC with 8.00 gigabytes of dual-channel DDR3 1,066 MHz SDRAM and an Intel 2nd Generation 2.5" MLC NAND FLASH X25-M 160.00 gigabyte Solid State Drive. It comes with Super Speed USB 3.0 and a nVIDIA GT 325M GPU with nVIDIA Optimus technology. I installed Red Hat Fedora 16 64 bit GNU/Linux as my primary operating system of choice.

I have not received delivery of this specific product yet. Based on the customer reviews, it looks to be compatible with Ubuntu GNU/Linux.

I do have a few general questions:

1. Do I need to download and install special device drivers to make this work on Red Hat Fedora 64 bit GNU/Linux? Is it truly plug and play right out of the box? Does anyone here have this specific ASUS Blu-Ray optical drive too?

2. Do I need to download and install any specific software packages so that I can watch Blu-Ray movies? I have a Netflix account and I paid an extra $2.00 USD per month to be able to rent both DVD-Videos and Blu-Ray discs. I have never watched a Blu-Ray movie on my computer beforehand. I prefer to watch DVD-Video movies using VLC. Will VLC be able to play Blu-Ray discs right out of the box? If I do need to install additional software packages, then what do I need to install and how do I do that?

3. I would like to be able to write to blank CD-R, DVD +/- R/RW, and Blu-Ray discs. Will K3b, Brasero, and other software packages be able to write data to these different disc formats right out of the box or do I need to install additional software packages or plug-ins or add-ons? If so, then what do I need to install and how do I do that?

4. I use Hand Brake, sound-juicer, and Asunder along with K9Copy to rip, encode, compress music CDs and DVD-Videos. Can I use the same software packages to rip, encode, and compress Blu-Ray discs too? What software packages will allow me to do this right out of the box for Blu-Ray discs? How do I install them and use them?

I am thinking that this will work right out of the box for me since I already have an ASUS N61JV-X2 notebook PC and an ASUS EEE Pad Transformer 16.00 gigabyte tablet. I have had no problems with ASUS branded hardware products with Ubuntu 12.04 64 bit Long Term Support or Red Hat Fedora 16 64 bit GNU/Linux previously.

Amazon sent me a SMS text message stating that I should expect delivery of this ASUS BW-12D1S-U/BLK/G this upcoming Monday.

I have an AdvancED USB 3.0 Hub with an AC adapter plug. It has four Super Speed USB 3.0 ports.

If you can answer my questions, then that would be great. Thank you.
Old 5th May 2012, 08:53 AM
george_toolan Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: Asus bw-12d1s-u/blk/g

I seriously doubt you will be able to watch any blue movies with linux, since Fedora or rpmfusion don't even officially support playing of DVDs. Same goes for "ripping" copy protected blue movies.

If you want to burn discs I would strongly recommend you install a recent original cdrecord version 3.00 or better from here http://cdrecord.berlios.de/private/cdrecord.html

Note: cdrecord is the backend that does the actual burning for frontend programs like k3b, brasero et al
Old 5th May 2012, 10:02 AM
Welly Wu Offline

linuxchrome

http://cdrecord.berlios.de/private/linux-dist.html

It says that I have to "Make sure that all programs that send (SCSI) commands to CD/DVD/Blu-Ray drives are installed to be suid root.

If you are running cdrtools frontends like k3b and others and do not like to replace these programs with original versions, you should remove files like /usr/bin/wodim, /usr/bin/genisoimage, /usr/bin/icedax, /usr/bin/readom and replace them by links to the original software. Note that k3b prefers the original over the fork because of the bug in the fork."

How do I do this in Fedora?

I have never done this beforehand.

Can someone help me with the terminal commands?

---------- Post added at 05:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:40 AM ----------

According to my checks, I already have libbluray package installed on my Red Hat Fedora 16 64 bit GNU/Linux operating system. I have done some cursory research and it looks like it is needed to navigate through a Blu-Ray disc including reading the data on the disc and playing it in popular media players like VLC or MPlayer or Totem. The version is a little bit old and I can get a newer version from ATRpms, but I think that I will be all set to go come this upcoming Tuesday. I expect to receive delivery of my ASUS Blu-Ray Super Speed USB 3 optical drive this Monday and I changed my Netflix queue to receive Trespass Blu-Ray disc this Tuesday.

I do not want to rip, encode, and compress Blu-Ray discs. I just want to tickle my fancy to see if they will play at all in Fedora 64 bit GNU/Linux.

I would appreciate more help with the cdrecord package.
Old 5th May 2012, 04:28 PM
tashirosgt Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

[QUOTE=Welly Wu;1574259]
Quote:
I would appreciate more help with the cdrecord package.
I'm not an expert in DVD burning, but I think you should note the conflict that seems to rage between the author of cdrecord and Linux distributions.

He writes:
Quote:
Both RedHat and SuSE started to publish the bastardized and defective variants of cdrtools from Debian in their distributions.
If you have problems on RedHat or SuSE systems, first fetch a recent original cdrtools source, compile it yourself
and run the original instead of broken software that illegally claims to be cdrecord.
It may be that most Linux software now uses the libburnia libraries instead of cdrecord. The libburnia website claims that brasero and xfburn use libburnia. So if you go the cdrecord route, you are not likely to get much help from the cdrecord authority in configuring it on Fedora.

My only constructive suggestion is look for directions about how to add non-Fedora software to Fedora such as http://www.mjmwired.net/resources/mjm-fedora-f16.html - although I don't recall that site mentioning Blu-ray.
Old 5th May 2012, 05:08 PM
Welly Wu Offline

linuxchrome

First of all, I want to give you my hearty thanks for posting that personal Fedora 16 installation guide. It solved my problem that I had with Adobe Acrobat Reader. I can now read Adobe .PDF files in Adobe Acrobat Reader 9.5 now. This is serendipitous progress and it helps me to further enjoy Red Hat Fedora 64 bit GNU/Linux because I have nearly everything working the exact way that I want it to with each passing day.

To be honest and truthful with this community, I will have to wait until I receive delivery of my ASUS BW-12D1S-U/BLK/G Blu-Ray with Super Speed USB 3.0 optical drive to see if it will work right out of the box. Watching Blu-Ray movies would be nice as would be the capability to write to single and dual layer blank Blu-Ray discs, but it is not a necessity. The Compact Disc and DVD-Video formats are more than sufficient for my entertainment needs and I do have a high end headphone audio system in my bedroom next to my ASUS N61JV-X2 notebook PC. I have an LG 5163D DVD/CD optical drive that is several years old and I wanted to upgrade it to something more modern and faster. I rip a lot of CDs and DVD-Videos per day. I use Sound-Juicer, Asunder, and Hand Brake every day. I choose to rip, encode, and compress to .FLAC loss less audio files and .M4V MPEG-4 lossy compressed video files to conserve on available disk space. By next Wednesday, May 9th, 2012, I will have up to 7.30 terabytes of total storage capacity and almost all of my external storage devices use Super Speed USB 3.0 technology. I also use TrueCrypt 7.1a and the Serpent cipher in XTS mode at 256 bits cipher strength and the Whirlpool hash algorithm to encrypt and secure almost all of my data.

I am hopeful that everything will work right out of the box. Red Hat Fedora 16 64 bit GNU/Linux is a cutting edge GNU/Linux distribution with excellent hardware device driver support right out of the box. ASUS products are usually compatible with GNU/Linux distributions like Ubuntu or Red Hat.

I will keep everybody abreast of the new developments in this thread just in case someone else might be interested in this specific ASUS BW-12D1S-U/BLK/G Blu-Ray with Super Speed USB 3.0 optical drive.
Old 7th May 2012, 01:26 PM
Welly Wu Offline

linuxchrome

I just received delivery of my ASUS BW-12D1S-U/BLK/G Blu-Ray Super Speed USB 3.0 optical drive. I have The Phantom of the Opera at Royal Albert Hall Blu-Ray disc that I rented from Netflix. I do not know how to play this Blu-Ray disc in Red Hat Fedora 16 64 bit GNU/Linux. I tried to use VLC, but it did not work. I tried MPlayer, but I do not know how to navigate the Blu-Ray disc to find the movie so it can play.

How can I play Blu-Ray discs in Red Hat Fedora 16 64 bit GNU/Linux?
Old 17th March 2013, 11:51 PM
RD358 Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox
BluRay ripping with Fedora 18

As a lifelong Windows user, Iím finally ready to run Fedora on my next laptop.

Iím no gamer, so I suspect that I wonít need a very powerful laptop. But to back up, edit and author my DVD and BluRay movie collection (i.e. copying old TV show episodes from DVD to BD-RE discs), what processor should my laptop have for running Fedora? How much system RAM?

Can someone recommend good Fedora apps for both DVD and BD ripping and authoring
(i.e. chapter writing, deleting subtitles, non-English language options, etc)?

Will those apps work easily with whatever most Fedora users seem to think is the best GUI?

Is Gnome 3.6 or 3.7 about the best or easiest to use GUI?

Is MakeMKV the best ripper to use with Fedora and whatever GUI?

Or should I stick with AnyDVD-HD, a Windows app, to do BluRay ripping?

Tags
asus, bw12d1su or blk or g