Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 5th May 2012, 01:59 AM
Thetargos Online

By the way, I suspect the problem might be due to syntax ((hd 0,*), root, etc)... But will have a look at the EFI example posted previously.

Sent on the move

---------- Post added at 07:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:38 PM ----------

I'm affraid something's wrong with grub.efi from the package I installed... No matter what configuration I try, I can't get anything other than a screen with a blue banner at the top which says "rEFInd - Booting OS" and in a second line Starting grub.efi, which never starts. I left the computer for several minutes at this screen (the same I got when I first installed grub-efi, by the way). So at this point I suspect the culprit to be an incompatible .efi with my Mac's firmware from the grub-efi package... If only I could mimick the configuration used on the DVD for the BOOTX64.efi, which DOES work.

FedoraForum Community forums lurker.
Fedora user since RHL 5.2 :cool:

Systems: Laptop, Main System, Netbook.
Old 5th May 2012, 02:16 AM
srs5694 Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: MacBook Pro, F16 and Snow Leopard → Lion migration... HELP!

In terms of reading the kernel and initial RAM disk, GRUB has its own Linux filesystem drivers, so if GRUB is giving you an error about being unable to access your kernel, then that's a GRUB problem, not an EFI or EFI driver problem. It's hard to give you more precise advice without knowing more precisely what's happening. For instance, do you see a normal-looking GRUB menu, or a GRUB rescue prompt? What, if any, error messages do you see when you select your entry? What does the entry in grub.conf look like, and how is your disk partitioned?

I would expect that the EFI version of GRUB would use the same filesystem driver code as the BIOS version, but I can't be 100% positive of that. If you suspect ext4fs is giving you problems, you can always drop down to ext2fs. If you've got a separate /boot partition, this change is fairly painless -- back up with tar or cp, unmount /boot, create a new filesystem, remount /boot, restore your files, and adjust your /etc/fstab (if necessary). You'll get little or no advantage from ext4fs on a separate /boot partition. Still, it may be better to try to debug your grub.conf entries first; simple typos can cause no end of problems!

---------- Post added at 09:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:04 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thetargos View Post
I'm affraid something's wrong with grub.efi from the package I installed... No matter what configuration I try, I can't get anything other than a screen with a blue banner at the top which says "rEFInd - Booting OS" and in a second line Starting grub.efi, which never starts. I left the computer for several minutes at this screen (the same I got when I first installed grub-efi, by the way). So at this point I suspect the culprit to be an incompatible .efi with my Mac's firmware from the grub-efi package... If only I could mimick the configuration used on the DVD for the BOOTX64.efi, which DOES work.
I didn't see this when I made my last reply. You could try copying the BOOTX64.efi file from your CD to your ESP (or wherever you've installed GRUB). Likewise, you can copy the configuration file from the CD to your hard disk and try modifying it to replace its boot stanzas with ones for your system.

Alternatively, you could switch to another boot loader. Although I've managed to get GRUB Legacy to work on most of my systems, it can be finicky at times, and sometimes it does weird things like create blank displays. If you're having problems with it, switching to another boot loader might make sense. My own experience is that the kernel's EFI stub loader is the most reliable. If you've already got a 3.3.x kernel on your system, you can try it as follows:
  1. Copy the kernel to a directory on the ESP or an HFS+ partition. (The latter may be more reliable.) I recommend EFI/fedora, since that'll give you a Fedora icon in rEFInd.
  2. Rename the kernel so that it has its original filename but with a ".efi" extension.
  3. Copy the kernel's matching initial RAM disk file to the same directory as the kernel.
  4. Create a refind_linux.conf file in the kernel's directory on the ESP or HFS+ partition and set it up with options for your system, as described on rEFInd's Methods of Booting Linux page.

With all these items in place, rEFInd should detect the kernel and let you boot it. If this works, you can consider optimizations later, so that rEFInd will detect your kernels as they're delivered in package updates from Fedora.

With the exception of the peculiar inability of the stub loader to read an initial RAM disk from a FAT partition on my system, the stub loader really has been the least troublesome boot loader on EFI systems, in my experience.
Old 5th May 2012, 05:54 AM
Thetargos Online

linuxfirefox

Ok... I will try one more time with Grub, but at this point I'm pretty sure it doesn't cope well with my Mac's EFI firmware. So far, this is what my grub.conf file looks like, followed by the logic behind it:

Code:
default=0
timeout=10
splashimage=(hd0,3)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
#hiddenmenu
title Fedora
        root (hd0,3)
        kernel /vmlinuz-3.3.2-6.fc16.x86_64 ro root=/dev/sda7 rhgb quiet
        initrd /initramfs-3.3.2-6.fc16.x86_64.img
I thought that if Grub did not find a suitable configuration it would run in a shell-like environment as it does in BIOS-based computers... I do not get that... My HDD is partitionned so that (number matches partition):
  1. EFI's ESP partition, holding thus far the APPLE firmware, refind and grub.efi under /EFI/redhat.
  2. HFS+ MacOS MachintoshHD
  3. BIOS-boot micro partition.
  4. Linux boot partition.
  5. Linux swap partition (yes, I like my swaps!)
  6. Linux root partition.
  7. Linux home partition.

For some strange reason that I cannot fathom, the number of the root and home partitions is reversed so that "physically" root is prior to home on the drive, but the logic number it gets is 7 instead of 6, as reported by both gpt -r show in MacOS and parted's print in Linux.

With this in mind, and having into account how Grub nominates the disks and partitions, I assumed in the config file above that if disk0s1 on the HDD, for grub it would be hd0,0; hence my /boot partition would become hd0,3 (as it being the fourth partition, on the frirst disk, counting from zero) and my root partition would then become (inside Linux /dev/sda7), for the reasons I explained above.

I assume something's amiss with Grub, since I do not get any kind of familiar Grub screen, just a rEFInd screen trying to launch grub.efi, I even tried without a config file to force the shell-like interface to Grub and try to figure out from there the actual HDD paritionning and how does Grub sees it to no avail. I will try to do two things: Copy the BOOTX86.efi program from the DVD to the disk and its corresponding configuration file and modify that to suit my layout. Failure to boot, I will try the EFI stub approach... I hope F17 will indeed incorporate a way to boot with the stub and "automagically" handle kernel upgrades via YUM instead of relaying on having to do it manually, still if that works I'll consider commiting at maintaining such a setup.

---------- Post added at 11:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:06 PM ----------

Just noticed something really interesting... I can boot into the DVD's efi loader via Apple's option key press and selecting the EFI boot there. Seldom does rEFInd sees the EFI boot loader from the DVD (only when rebooting from a previous Linux rescue session or in a cold boot), and when trying to start the loader from within rEFInd would yield one of two situations:
  • Present the familiar shell-like interface to Grub.
  • Give me the same screen where redhat's grub.efi hangs

Noticed this as I'm trying to boot the computer into Linux's rescue to copy the BOOTX64.efi, configuration and splash to an /EFI/Fedora directory. It does seem as if rEFInd and Grub don't play well together... Will post back as I explore further this route.

---------- Post added at 11:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:20 PM ----------

Just as you can add refind to the bootmngr list, is there a way to add grub.efi so that maybe I could bypass rEFInd and boot into Fedora from the option key boot options?

---------- Post added at 11:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:48 PM ----------

SUCCESS!!!

Booting with the EFI stub in the 3.3.2-6 kernel did the trick. SELinux is re-labeling the entire filesystem now. This was one hell of ride, and I assume that once I install the nVidia proprietary drivers I will have to rebuild the initramfs image, plus how would I manage to put back the magic code to regain plymouth and a 1280x800 console?... Much easier task, as I know much of the process by heart already.

Thank you all for your hand-holding. It is indeed nice to be n00b once more!

Old 5th May 2012, 06:17 AM
srs5694 Offline

linuxfirefox

Your grub.conf file looks OK, as far as I can tell. FYI, the numbering of partitions can be completely disconnected from the ordering of partitions on the disk. This can happen for any number of reasons. It's harmless, except to the extent that it's confusing and might therefore lead to human errors. If you want to sort the partition numbers, you can do so with the "s" option in my gdisk program. (It's in the "gdisk" package in Fedora, IIRC, although it might be "gptfdisk".)

If you're not seeing a GRUB screen, then that does indeed indicate a problem that's more fundamental than an invalid grub.conf file. The fact that you're having problems launching GRUB Legacy from rEFInd is both peculiar and intriguing. I don't recall seeing this myself -- but it's conceivable that some of the problems I have seen with GRUB Legacy have actually been caused by such interactions. (Most of these would be rEFIt/GRUB interactions, though, since I've not done much with GRUB Legacy since forking rEFInd.)

I do have a more general observation that may be relevant: The way an EFI boot loader is launched can definitely affect the way it works. This is because the EFI gives programs slightly different information about the program's "home" directory depending on how it's launched. For instance, from an EFI shell, launching by tying "fs0:\EFI\foo\bar.efi" gives the bar.efi program different data about its environment than launching it by typing "fs0:" followed by "cd \EFI\foo" followed by "bar.efi". This is of course very frustrating from a programmer's perspective, and I've had to track down and fix a number of rEFInd bugs related to this. It's possible you're running into something similar with GRUB; it could be that the environment it's getting from the way rEFInd launches it is causing it to fail to load its configuration file.

Actually, here's a wild suggestion: Try putting grub.efi and grub.conf in the root of the ESP. rEFInd will find them there, but that might just change the environment in such a way that it'll work better. OTOH, it might do nothing useful.

Quote:
I hope F17 will indeed incorporate a way to boot with the stub and "automagically" handle kernel upgrades via YUM instead of relaying on having to do it manually, still if that works I'll consider commiting at maintaining such a setup.
As I've said, this is already possible. It requires some initial setup in rEFInd, but since Fedora started delivering 3.3.x kernels with EFI stub loader support, it's become possible to upgrade your kernel and have rEFInd detect that upgrade, no matter what Fedora does (or doesn't do) to GRUB configuration files. I've got a laptop booting this way, and I've gone through at least one Fedora 16 kernel upgrade with rEFInd automatically detecting and using it. That said, Fedora doesn't (yet) include rEFInd or ship with the EFI filesystem drivers needed to make this work, so Fedora won't set it up completely.

---------- Post added at 01:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:04 AM ----------

Once again, I missed your latest addendum while writing my post!

I'm glad you've got it working. I'm not sure about nVidia proprietary drivers, since I don't use them on any of my systems. (I have in the past, but on a BIOS-based PC, so some of the issues will be different.) My last recollection along those lines was in struggling to remove the nouveau drivers from an initrd on a system that reacted poorly to them.

If you care to get this working a little more smoothly from a kernel upgrade perspective, check out the rEFInd documentation's drivers and Linux booting pages. That'll give you more than you need. The short version is:
  1. If necessary, convert your /boot partition to use ext2fs, ext3fs, ReiserFS, or (weirdly) HFS+. (Ext4fs will not work.)
  2. Install an EFI driver for the filesystem you use on /boot. (Not necessary if you use HFS+.) rEFIt comes with ext2fs and ReiserFS drivers that work well. (The ext2fs driver also handles ext3fs.)
  3. Edit refind.conf and uncomment the "scan_all_linux_kernels" option.
  4. Copy refind_linux.conf to /boot.
  5. Optionally, copy the icon of your choice to /boot/.VolumeIcon.icns.

The result is that rEFInd will scan /boot and present options for all the kernels in /boot. When you install a new kernel, it'll appear in the menu automatically. The drawback is that if you've got any pre-3.3.0 kernels, they'll appear in the menu but be unbootable. (You can of course remove them to keep them out of the menu.)
Old 5th May 2012, 06:24 AM
Thetargos Online

linuxfirefox

Interesting... I think I'll keep this setup as it is... Now, how did you change the boot order of detected stanzas, again?

Old 5th May 2012, 03:03 PM
srs5694 Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thetargos View Post
Now, how did you change the boot order of detected stanzas, again?
In rEFInd, you've got limited control over the order in which the icons appear; that's dictated by the order in which the EFI delivers filenames to the program. Recent versions, though, do sort the icons for boot loaders within a single directory by time stamp, so that the most recent one appears first. (The directories don't appear in rEFInd's display, but the icons do cluster by directory.) The intent of sorting the directories is that you can specify a directory name as the default entry (by using the "default_selection" option in refind.conf) and the most recent kernel in that directory automatically becomes the default.

If you want to have a specific and arbitrary order of icons, the only way to be certain you'll get what you want is to define them with manual stanzas and disable auto-detection, in which case the entries will appear in the order in which you define them. If all your loaders are stored within a single directory, though, you can use "touch" to give them time stamps in whatever order you like, and the sort mechanism will take care of it.

If you just want to set a default, you can do it with the "default_selection" option. Feed it any unique portion of the name that appears under the icons when you select the one you want to be the default.
Old 5th May 2012, 04:27 PM
Thetargos Online

Excellent! Thanks for everything.

Sent on the move

Old 13th July 2012, 08:13 AM
jonathonp Offline

linuxfirefox

Did you install rEFInd with root privileges under the mac?

Fedora 17 XFCE x64, Xubuntu 12.04 LTS x64, Windows 7 64bit
HP-ProBook 5830 i3 - PC AMD Core 4
MacBookPro v10.7.4 - 2.8GHz i7 4GB RAM
Old 13th July 2012, 01:23 PM
Thetargos Online

Yes, in OS X the EFI partition is not mounted and you have to mount it manually from the console, with the aid of sudo.

'sudo mount -t msdos /dev/disk0s1 /mount/point'

/mount/point I usually use /Volumes/efi, which doen't esist and you have to create.

Sent on the move

Old 8th October 2012, 09:08 AM
jonathonp Offline

linuxfirefox

Do I need the Fedora Mac version for a MacBook Pro i7 2011 (Intel based)?

Lubuntu uses the standard installation disk when installing on Intel based macs however i have not been able to solve the 'grub-efi package failed to install' error. I am back to trying to get fedora to boot up.

Last edited by jonathonp; 8th October 2012 at 09:16 AM.
Old 8th October 2012, 05:01 PM
srs5694 Offline

linuxfirefox

If a boot loader package (like grub-efi) fails to install but everything else installed OK, IMHO the best way to proceed is to manually install a boot loader. This is especially true on Macs and other EFI-based computers, since the OS installers are still struggling to catch up with EFI issues. The result is that boot loader installation can go wrong in an automated system, but by reading enough to get a basic understanding of the issue, you can fix it manually with little difficulty. My Web page on EFI boot loaders can be a good place to start. This advice presupposes that you're willing to spend a few minutes (perhaps up to an hour) learning about the issues. If you want a point-and-click experience, I suggest you give up instead; EFI is still enough of a bleeding-edge technology that it's nowhere near that point -- at least, not reliably so.
Old 8th October 2012, 06:57 PM
chrismurphy Offline

macoschrome

Macs are a unique thing whether you depend on CSM-BIOS booting them, or EFI booting them.

If you CSM boot Linux, then that requires an MBR, but Mac OS X requires a GPT (at least to install). So that means hybrid MBR is needed. Most distros don't create the hybrid MBR, so the resulting installation is left unbootable. This includes Fedora of all versions.

If you EFI boot Linux, then that will use an existing GPT. But Fedora 17 is the first to use mactel-boot to install the bootloader (grub.efi) on its own HFS+ partition; not the EFI System partition which is the usual case for EFI hardware. This is because Apple hardware boot selector won't show multiple bootloaders on the EFI System partition. And no other distro does it this way to make it work.

There is no Mac specific Fedora installer build. The mactel-boot stuff is included in all the x86_64 builds, and is called by anaconda when it detects a Mac booted in EFI mode at install time. The best thing to do is use the free space installation type, and prior to running the installer, use gdisk or parted to remove prior partitions so there is free space to install to.

FYI, any usage of parted, including by anaconda when installing Fedora, will obliterate a hybrid MBR rendering anything that depends on it, unbootable. That likely means other Linux distros (or Windows) that don't setup EFI boot and install for Macs.
Old 9th October 2012, 07:03 AM
jonathonp Offline

linuxchrome

Thanks srs5694. I saw u detailed page already and I am slowly absorbing the issues. Here is where i am at so far.

I resolved the
Code:
grub-efi package failed to install
error with Lubuntu 12.04 x86_64.

There seemed to be 2 issues.

1. Instead of using the Lubuntu installation disc I decided to try booting with a USB Flash Drive (see http://www.ubuntu.com/download/help/...tick-on-ubuntu).

2. When arrived at the partition setup (something else or custom layout), I was asked to remove the 2 partitions for / and /home (both of which had been made with iPartition) due to a problem with sector alignment (512 limit) or something along those lines.

As a result of this I manually removed the partitions and created 3 new partitions including the swap with the Lubuntu installer. I chose to install grub on the root partition.

The installation proceeded as normal. When i rebooted i found the Lubuntu grub boot loader appearing at boot.

When selecting OS X 64 bit and OS X 32 bit OS X hangs.

To successfully boot OS X i need to hold the options key down when powering it on which brings up rEFIt instead of the grub menu. Note Ubuntu appears in rEFIt menu.

http://refit.sourceforge.net/

Booting up Lubuntu i decided to find out what was happening with grub so i did the following:

Downloaded http://sourceforge.net/projects/bootinfoscript/

Untared the folder and ran the following:

jonathon@Blue:~$
Code:
sudo ~/Downloads/bootinfoscript
Code:
Boot Info Script 0.61      [1 April 2012]

"gawk" could not be found, using "busybox awk" instead.
This may lead to unreliable results.

Identifying MBRs...
Computing Partition Table of /dev/sda...
Searching sda1 for information... 
Searching sda2 for information... 
Searching sda3 for information... 
Searching sda4 for information... 
Searching sda5 for information... 
Searching sda6 for information... 
Searching sda9 for information... 
Searching sda10 for information... 

Finished. The results are in the file "RESULTS.txt"
located in "/home/jonathon/Downloads/".
Extract of results:
Code:
 => No boot loader is installed in the MBR of /dev/sda.

sda1: __________________________________________________________________________

File system:       vfat
    Boot sector type:  Unknown
    Boot sector info:  No errors found in the Boot Parameter Block.
    Operating System:  
    Boot files:        /efi/ubuntu/grubx64.efi

sda2: __________________________________________________________________________

File system:       hfsplus
    Boot sector type:  -
    Boot sector info: 
    Operating System:  
    Boot files:        

sda3: __________________________________________________________________________

File system:       hfsplus
    Boot sector info: 
    Operating System:  
    Boot files:        

sda9: __________________________________________________________________________

File system:       ext4
    Boot sector info: 
    Operating System:  Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS
    Boot files:        /boot/grub/grub.cfg /etc/fstab
Where should grubx64.efi be located for rEFIt to work as expected?

Should i place it in the root partition?

The EFI partition /dev/sda1 is currently flagged to boot.I tried removing grubx64.efi (making a backup of course) and there is no way to boot Lubuntu using rEFIt without it.

Note I had previously reinstalled grub2 in Lubuntu:
Code:
sudo grub-install --force /dev/sda9
No errors were reported.

Once i resolve the issue with EFI Grub with Lubuntu I will have another attempt with Fedora 17
Attached Files
File Type: txt RESULTS.txt (16.6 KB, 68 views)

Last edited by jonathonp; 9th October 2012 at 07:12 AM.
Old 9th October 2012, 08:35 AM
chrismurphy Offline

macoschrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathonp View Post
2. When arrived at the partition setup (something else or custom layout), I was asked to remove the 2 partitions for / and /home (both of which had been made with iPartition) due to a problem with sector alignment (512 limit) or something along those lines.
I'd file a bug report with the iPartition developer. You have a 512e AF disk with 4K physical sectors. For it to not align them is a considerable bug for a modern app like this, and adversely affects performance.

Quote:
When selecting OS X 64 bit and OS X 32 bit OS X hangs.
I wouldn't expect GRUB 1.99, which comes with Lubuntu 12.04, to properly boot Mac OS X. This is an old version of GRUB for UEFI usage, lacking a lot of code changes in the final release of GRUB2, as well as lacking Red Hat's Apple EFI specific patches used in GRUB Legacy EFI for Fedora 17.

Quote:
To successfully boot OS X i need to hold the options key down when powering it on which brings up rEFIt instead of the grub menu. Note Ubuntu appears in rEFIt menu.
This is the behavior I'd expect.

Quote:
Where should grubx64.efi be located for rEFIt to work as expected?
Appears to be working now as expected. If you ask on help-grub about being unable to boot OS X from within GRUB 1.99 they will tell you to build from the latest git source, and let them know if you're still having problems.

Quote:
Should i place it in the root partition?
No. That's antiquated even for BIOS GRUB usage, let alone for UEFI GRUB usage. Where it is now, in /efi//efi/ubuntu/grubx64.efi is where it belongs for rEFIt to find it.

Quote:
The EFI partition /dev/sda1 is currently flagged to boot.
That's parted terminology. For MBR disks "boot" flag means an active bit is set for that partition, whereas for GPT disks it means the partition type GUID is set to that of the EFI System partition.

Quote:
I tried removing grubx64.efi (making a backup of course) and there is no way to boot Lubuntu using rEFIt without it.
Expected.

Quote:
Code:
sudo grub-install --force /dev/sda9
That won't work for EFI booting. It should be
grub-install --efi-directory=/boot/efi/efi/ubuntu /dev/sda

--force applies to using block lists which aren't applicable to .efi bootloaders. And isn't recommended anyway, it's a desperation move, and fragile.

Quote:
Once i resolve the issue with EFI Grub with Lubuntu I will have another attempt with Fedora 17
Note that Fedora 17 uses GRUB Legacy EFI. It's completely different from Ubuntu's EFI. And Fedora 17's parted will wipe out your hybrid MBR, which you need for Windows booting. I see two Windows partitions on the disk, but no Windows entries in the Lubuntu grub.cfg meaning it didn't find Windows.
Old 9th October 2012, 12:24 PM
jonathonp Offline

linuxubuntufirefox

Thanks for the detailed reply which was very helpful. I won't be installing fedora 17 due to the complications.

I have not installed windows7 which is why grub did not pick it up. Still working on that.

I wanted to update with grub 2.0

ubuntuportal.com/2012/07/how-to-upgrade-grub-2-0-boot-loader-on-ubuntu-12-04.html

Make install went ok

Code:
Making install in util/bash-completion.d
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/jonathon/grub-2.00/util/bash-completion.d'
make[3]: Entering directory `/home/jonathon/grub-2.00/util/bash-completion.d'
make[3]: Nothing to be done for `install-exec-am'.
 /bin/mkdir -p '/usr/etc/bash_completion.d'
 /usr/bin/install -c -m 644 grub '/usr/etc/bash_completion.d'
make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/jonathon/grub-2.00/util/bash-completion.d'
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/jonathon/grub-2.00/util/bash-completion.d'
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/jonathon/grub-2.00'

Can't install grub where it supposed to go:

jonathon@Blue:~/grub-2.00$
Code:
 sudo grub-install --efi-directory=/boot/efi/efi/ubuntu /dev/sda
/usr/sbin/grub-install: 337: .: Can't open /usr/lib/grub/x86_64-efi/modinfo.sh

Last edited by jonathonp; 9th October 2012 at 12:28 PM.

Tags
, f16, leopard, lion, macbook, migration, pro, snow