Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 5th May 2012, 12:04 AM
Deminox Offline

linuxchrome
f17 on AMD Phenom bugs so far

Im running an HP a6700F desktop, pretty much stock except a radeon 4600 series gpu (a4650PE1G to be exact) on a Sanyo 26" LCD tv for my monitor using HDMI.

I am not using LIVE USER I am using beta as an install. Here's what I have found so far, hope it helps.

1) Screen ratio. This has been an ongoing problem where the choice of the 4 ratio's leaves me no choice but to select the 4:3 ratio, as the 16x9's spill off the edge. Radeon has a windows driver that allows you to adjust the display area to fit odd-sized screens, no support for linux. How about an option to scale display area? This is less a "bug" as it is a suggested feature. Also, netbook screens would benefit from this.

2) User accounts. Currently updated, when i go to log in it does not show the user. I CAN type my username and password in, and login from there. So luckily no errors with it not recognizing after install.

3) User accounts part B: when logged in, and going into user accounts, when you "unlock" to say, change password or profile picture, there are no accounts listed. The GOOD news is when you go to "add" an account, if you type your current user account it will recognize that exists. you just cant edit it.

3) Youtube requires an mp3 codec not yet available (that I could find) and some other video decoder. These may be available directly, im not sure yet. BUT The GOOD NEWS is it doesn't ask me to install flash player. I remember Fedora 16 I had to install flash in firefox to get youtube to work in chrome (installing in chrome failed every time).

Thats it for my observations. I know this is a beta with many bugs to be worked out, I hope this information is useful somehow. I cant wait until the final release ^^

I'll update this thread if i notice any more bugs glitches or such.
Old 5th May 2012, 12:14 PM
george_toolan Online

linuxfirefox
Re: f17 on AMD Phenom bugs so far

What kind of resolution does your tv have? Even netbooks support full hd ;-)

You probably have to disable overscan in your tv. Otherwise it will blow up the picture and then cut off the borders.

Have you tried VGA output instead?
Old 5th May 2012, 01:23 PM
Deminox Offline

linuxchrome

http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-t...-33392341.html

specs on the tv. 1366x768 resolution, 720p. its a few years old, no options for overscan. I use the HDMI because it has the audio as well. Not even sure if i have an old vga lying around. I've got a dvi & a vga connection on the graphics card, but i got a feeling the same error would occur. I'll try that as soon as i find a cable.
Old 5th May 2012, 01:57 PM
Dan Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox

Might be worth an email to Sanyo tech support on the overscan issue. Sometimes they bury that setting in deep and obscure places and language.
Old 8th May 2012, 10:07 PM
Deminox Offline

linuxchrome

***UPDATE***

Updated to 3.3.4.4 today.

Login error (as mentioned above) still exists. Same with User Accounts. Last updates have made no change.
So far everything else (on my machine anyways) is still stable, nothing new "broke" (more than I can say for my windows updates lately >.> )

I'm going to try to install the ATI Linux drivers manually and see what I get.

***UPDATE***

As far as the "overscan" issue on my tv/monitor, Sanyo has been less than helpful. Will any version of Fedora/Gnome have built in resolution scaling & tweaks? I still find it very odd that as open and customizable as linux is in all other aspects, we are stuck with very few available screen resolution options.

Example: In an Ubuntu thread with a similar issue (but on a netbook screen) there used to be a fix by going into terminal and modifying the resolution values, but Ubuntu 10.4 Unity broke that. So in theory there should still be a possible way to code the output to display. So building on the display resolution GUI to *force* display options should still be a viable option right?

Other than that, My F17 is just as stable as my F16. Hope feedback helps development! (I'd say it cant HURT, but I'm sure you guys have gotten some feedback that was so useless or wtf??? that it caused you to hit your heads on the desk until you receive a mild concussion. Hope mine isn't one of those!)
Old 8th May 2012, 11:05 PM
Dan Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox

Feedback is useful, indeed ... in the right places. We're just users helping users here. The real feedback needs to go to the fedora project through the link above (FedoraProject) and through bug reports. (Same link.)

That's where the message will do the most good.
Old 9th May 2012, 11:40 AM
Fenrin Offline

linuxopera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deminox View Post
[...]

2) User accounts. Currently updated, when i go to log in it does not show the user. I CAN type my username and password in, and login from there. So luckily no errors with it not recognizing after install.

3) User accounts part B: when logged in, and going into user accounts, when you "unlock" to say, change password or profile picture, there are no accounts listed. The GOOD news is when you go to "add" an account, if you type your current user account it will recognize that exists. you just cant edit it.

4) Youtube requires an mp3 codec not yet available (that I could find) and some other video decoder. These may be available directly, im not sure yet. BUT The GOOD NEWS is it doesn't ask me to install flash player. I remember Fedora 16 I had to install flash in firefox to get youtube to work in chrome (installing in chrome failed every time).
[...]
maybe you can solve 2) and 3) if you downgrade accountservice to 0.6.18-1 (this is the version which will be in the F17 stable release, but there were also newer versions available: see here)

to 4)
probably the F17 rpmfusion repo will help: just install following package:
http://download1.rpmfusion.org/free/...0.5.noarch.rpm

if you also need the nonfree rpmfusion repo:
http://download1.rpmfusion.org/nonfr...0.5.noarch.rpm
Old 10th May 2012, 08:59 PM
Deminox Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenrin View Post
maybe you can solve 2) and 3) if you downgrade accountservice to 0.6.18-1 (this is the version which will be in the F17 stable release, but there were also newer versions available: see here)

to 4)
probably the F17 rpmfusion repo will help: just install following package:
http://download1.rpmfusion.org/free/...0.5.noarch.rpm

if you also need the nonfree rpmfusion repo:
http://download1.rpmfusion.org/nonfr...0.5.noarch.rpm
link to non-free is broken >.< though i do remember there was a code to type in terminal
I forgot i didnt have these on F17, i installed them so far back on F16 I forgot
I DID rememeber going through hell on my broadcom adapter, and F16 hates my quad-core i7... but I'm testing F17 on my desktop, dont want to mess with the laptop till final release ^^

Tags
amd, bugs, f17, phenom