Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 4th May 2012, 02:38 PM
sgage Offline

linuxfirefox
GDM broken?

When I boot my system, it goes fine right up to the GDM login screen. But now, at the login screen, no users are shown - just a "not listed?" option that brings up a username/password dialog. No joy there - "authentication failure".

I am able to login at a virtual terminal, then startx into Gnome.

F17, 32-bit, fully updated as of 9:30 this morning EDT (US East Coast), problem occurs with or without nvidia proprietary drivers.

Any ideas?

TIA
Old 4th May 2012, 02:52 PM
Dan Online
Administrator

linuxfirefox
Re: GDM broken?

Ayup. She be busted. This morning's updates are right on schedule with the "vunderborks." <....>

Bug filed.

Click, "other", enter your user name, hit the enter key once, then add your password in the changed dialogue, then hit enter again. That should get you in for now until they back out the breakage.
Old 10th May 2012, 11:56 PM
mcasperson Offline

linuxchrome

Does anyone have a link to the bug?
Old 11th May 2012, 12:01 AM
sgage Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcasperson View Post
Does anyone have a link to the bug?
It seems to have been fixed for some time now - are you still having this issue? Are you all updated?
Old 11th May 2012, 12:26 AM
mcasperson Offline

linuxchrome

I ran into the bug on a VM, and so reverted back to a snapshot and have avoided doing a system update until it was resolved. I'll brave a yum update again and see if the issue is fixed.

---------- Post added at 09:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:05 AM ----------

Just did a yum update, all seems ok.
Old 11th May 2012, 12:32 AM
sgage Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcasperson View Post
I ran into the bug on a VM, and so reverted back to a snapshot and have avoided doing a system update until it was resolved. I'll brave a yum update again and see if the issue is fixed.

---------- Post added at 09:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:05 AM ----------

Just did a yum update, all seems ok.
This is good!
Old 14th May 2012, 10:30 AM
weitjong Online

linuxfirefox

I just want to report that 'yum update' did not work for me because as it turned out somehow my system had a "higher" package version of "accountsservice" and "accountsservice-libs" which seem not to be compatible with the GDM version earmarked for the F17 release. Performing a downgrade of these two packages or for my case a 'distro-sync' fixes the problem.

---------- Post added at 05:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:19 PM ----------

Found this while reading old threads from a few weeks back. http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=279575. I wonder why I did not put 2 and 2 together before .

Tags
broken, gdm