Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 2nd May 2012, 02:11 PM
mmix Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: Linus Torvalds Likes Chrome OS More Than Gnome 3 Shell?

i like gnome-shell but it too buggy, ATM.
wayland, haiku, directfb, plan9 GUI, bluebottle GUI, FBUI.. i like all those GUI.
Old 2nd May 2012, 04:42 PM
Gareth Jones Offline
Official Gnome 3 Sales Rep. (and Adminstrator)

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by smr54 View Post
And...of course, don't take too much that you read on the Internet that seriously. Think about it--if you like Gnome 3, and 100 or 200 complete strangers, who have no idea of how you work, what you need in a desktop, and so on, tell you that what you're doing is wrong, will you really care?
For some reason I'm reminded of http://xkcd.com/386/. Not that I'm ever guilty of that or anything...

Gareth, one of the more vocal GNOME 3 likers...
Old 2nd May 2012, 05:18 PM
Dan Offline
Administrator

linuxfedorafirefox
Talking Re: Linus Torvalds Likes Chrome OS More Than Gnome 3 Shell?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth Jones View Post
I'm going to try very hard not to hold that against you. <....>
Old 2nd May 2012, 05:58 PM
smr54 Online

linuxfirefox

I think we're all guilty of the XKCD syndrome. Then, something important happens in our lives, either good or bad, and we realize how silly it can be, getting upset over the words of complete strangers who know nothing of our lives. Not to say that one should always ignore advice, or even criticism, just that it's frequently gratuitous, to say the least.

@Dan, your line on the last page, about taking the blathering for what it is, casual entertainment, is definitely quotable.
Old 3rd May 2012, 08:41 PM
RupertPupkin Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

I tried out GNOME 3 Shell on my spare box recently, and I wasn't all that impressed with it. Then again, I've never liked GNOME, not even GNOME 2 (which Linus infamously called "a disease" for reducing user customization). So I'm not surprised that Linus dislikes GNOME 3 as well.

Just today I played with Ubuntu 12.04, and their Unity interface seems even worse than GNOME 3. So I think the old GNOME is dead. Forks like Cinnamon and Mate may (for now) satisfy the minority of users who don't like Unity or the new GNOME, but I have a feeling those will remain minor projects at best. I don't see them ever having the support and manpower behind them that the old GNOME did. Luckily there are many choices in Linux, so the bellyaching should eventually subside.
Old 3rd May 2012, 11:50 PM
Dutchy Offline

linuxsafari

I keep wondering when this whole Chrome OS ever really takes off.
Android and its "aps" (sigh, modern days...) seems to be superior to it.
What's the point of bypassing the OS and let everything take place in the browser (in the end it will become the same thing).
Old 4th May 2012, 12:05 AM
pete_1967 Offline
Clueless in a Cuckooland

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchy View Post
What's the point of bypassing the OS and let everything take place in the browser (in the end it will become the same thing).
Cloud == $$$, that's the point.

“Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime” so now go and...
RTFM FIRST: http://docs.fedoraproject.org/ & http://rute.2038bug.com/index.html.gz
Old 4th May 2012, 01:13 AM
Penguinclaw Offline

linuxfirefox

I agree that you should choose the DE that works for you. I am usually a kde user and love all the tweakability etc, but recently I've taken the plunge to test what all the fuss with Gnome 3 is all about.

Do you know what? I'm hooked! I love the interface, I think Amarok looks better than under kde and am finding the usability a breeze. Okay it's still early days and not everything is quite there yet but the same could have been said, to a much greater extent (in my opinion) of kde4 when it was first released.

As for power users whats wrong with the command line?? That's after all one of the most powerful features of linux for the geeks in us

By the way I've been away from Fedora for a while as I found the bleading edge nature too buggy. But I am so happy I tried F16 as your dev team certainly put a huge effort into stability
Old 4th May 2012, 04:25 AM
BBQdave Offline
The Ubu-Grillmaster

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguinclaw View Post
I am so happy I tried F16 as your dev team certainly put a huge effort into stability
+1

Switched over from Debian 6 (gnome 2), was pleasantly surprised by F16's stability. Was using F16 Xfce, comfortable transition, great DE. Now I am trying F16 (gnome 3), very smooth, definitely different from what I am used to, an easier adjustment than what I thought though (coming from gnome 2 and Xfce).

baby steps... baby steps...
Old 4th May 2012, 05:26 AM
ElderSnake Online

windows_8firefox

Geez I feel like a hypocrite sometimes (though I did say I have a love/dislike relationship with the Shell).

So the other day I decided to install Debian Sid on my little netbook (because I discovered, for some mysterious reason, Debian uses less RAM than any other distro I've used - even Arch!! :o) and I thought I'd try Gnome (Shell) 3.4...

You know what? It runs damn well and surprisingly Debian have done an amazing job packaging it the way they have and intergrating it so far (I wasnt even aware Debian were looking at Gnome 3). So I bung a few extensions on and it's actually rather pleasant to use, and with Debian, it's only using 140mb after a fresh boot (!). Other distros I've used are easily 250-300 on the same basic setup (especially those who shall not be named - hint: name starts with a "U")
Old 4th May 2012, 06:57 AM
stevea Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by RupertPupkin View Post
I tried out GNOME 3 Shell on my spare box recently, and I wasn't all that impressed with it. Then again, I've never liked GNOME, not even GNOME 2 (which Linus infamously called "a disease" for reducing user customization). So I'm not surprised that Linus dislikes GNOME 3 as well.

Just today I played with Ubuntu 12.04, and their Unity interface seems even worse than GNOME 3. So I think the old GNOME is dead. Forks like Cinnamon and Mate may (for now) satisfy the minority of users who don't like Unity or the new GNOME, but I have a feeling those will remain minor projects at best. I don't see them ever having the support and manpower behind them that the old GNOME did.
+1

Quote:
Luckily there are many choices in Linux, so the bellyaching should eventually subside.
The grousing will wax and wane until some bigger flub comes long to take it's place. That may be a while.
Old 4th May 2012, 03:53 PM
BBQdave Offline
The Ubu-Grillmaster

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElderSnake View Post
So the other day I decided to install Debian Sid on my little netbook (because I discovered, for some mysterious reason, Debian uses less RAM than any other distro I've used - even Arch!! :o) and I thought I'd try Gnome (Shell) 3.4...

You know what? It runs damn well and surprisingly Debian have done an amazing job packaging it the way they have and intergrating it so far (I wasnt even aware Debian were looking at Gnome 3). So I bung a few extensions on and it's actually rather pleasant to use, and with Debian, it's only using 140mb after a fresh boot (!). Other distros I've used are easily 250-300 on the same basic setup (especially those who shall not be named - hint: name starts with a "U")
I was testing Debian 7 with Gnome 3, not too bad, but still a little buggy (it is testing). It will be interesting to see Debian's stable release of Debian 7 with Gnome 3.

I have to say though, it would take a lot to move me back to Debian, Fedora is solid - stable.

Debian does seem leaner running as a distro, not sure what makes it so. You can definitely notice compared to Ubuntu, though not so much leaner compared to Fedora.

Fedora 16 is using 17% of my memory at idle, Debian 6 would idle at 19%, not much difference for me.
Old 5th May 2012, 01:01 AM
ElderSnake Online

linuxchrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQdave View Post
I was testing Debian 7 with Gnome 3, not too bad, but still a little buggy (it is testing). It will be interesting to see Debian's stable release of Debian 7 with Gnome 3.

I have to say though, it would take a lot to move me back to Debian, Fedora is solid - stable.

Debian does seem leaner running as a distro, not sure what makes it so. You can definitely notice compared to Ubuntu, though not so much leaner compared to Fedora.

Fedora 16 is using 17% of my memory at idle, Debian 6 would idle at 19%, not much difference for me.

I'm surprised Fedora is that frugal. In my quest to find out why Debian uses generally less than most I saw a guy in the Debian forums doing a comparison to other distros and Fedora was one of the highest (usage. SElinux or something could be the cause, IDK). I guess YMMV and all that though.

And yeah, I'm actually running Debian Sid (unstable) which is Gnome 3.4 and occasionally it crashes and sends me back to GDM, but not often enough to bother me too much. Otherwise it's running pretty well.
Old 5th May 2012, 01:24 AM
stevea Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth Jones View Post
Can't make out of you meant "GNOME lickers" or "GNOME liquor" - typo's are a b*tch.
Old 6th May 2012, 04:27 PM
Gareth Jones Offline
Official Gnome 3 Sales Rep. (and Adminstrator)

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevea View Post
"GNOME lickers"
Pass the mind-bleach...