Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 1st May 2012, 07:40 PM
fedposh Offline

linuxubuntuchrome
Need help on upgrade

Hello,

i have a problem. I am using Fedora 15. I want to upgrade to Fedora 16. I try this http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Upgrading. But this is to difficult for me. Is there an easier way? I am just a user and i don't understand yum and terminal.
Old 1st May 2012, 08:14 PM
sizemj Offline

windows_7chrome
Re: Need help on upgrade

Can you download a Fedora 16 DVD image? If so, do you have a DVD burner? If the answer is yes to both use that DVD to do the upgrade. The yum way is not officially supported.
Old 1st May 2012, 08:22 PM
nonamedotc Offline
Community Manager

linuxfirefox

In case you have trouble downloading the DVD, you can try preupgrade. This is supported and has very little command line usage.

Here is the documentation on Preupgrade
Old 2nd May 2012, 09:33 AM
george_toolan Offline

linuxfirefox

You might want to wait a couple of weeks and then upgrade to Fedora 17 ;-)
Old 2nd May 2012, 10:18 AM
glennzo Online
Un-Retired Administrator

linuxfirefox

If you plan on sticking with Fedora as your main OS you should invest some time in learning yum and terminal. It will prove to be extremely advantageous.
Quote:
I am just a user and i don't understand yum and terminal.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Laptop: Toshiba Satellite / Intel Core 2 Duo 1.73 GHz / 2GB / 160GB / Intel Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME/943/940GML Integrated Graphics
Desktop: BioStar MCP6PB M2+ / AMD Phenom 9750 Quad Core / 4GB / 1TB SATA / 500GB SATA / EVGA GeForce 8400 GS 1GB
Old 2nd May 2012, 02:15 PM
fedposh Offline

linuxubuntuchrome

Hello,

Fedora is my main OS. But i never used yum and terminal just using for email and internet. I have to configure some more things but i don't know how like nvidia and some other stuff.

Last edited by fedposh; 2nd May 2012 at 02:18 PM.
Old 2nd May 2012, 03:02 PM
nonamedotc Offline
Community Manager

linuxfirefox

As far as nvidia drivers fo, there is some help on this forum. There is a guide for Nvidia driver installation here.

For the 'customizations' that are routinely employed - like multimedia plugins, etc. - you can use Autoplus or Fedorautils. These might make life a lot easier.

Also, try yumex, if you are interested - as a front end for yum.
Old 2nd May 2012, 04:20 PM
fedposh Offline

linuxubuntuchrome

---------- Post added at 07:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:18 AM ----------

[/COLOR]Hello,

i now downloaded fedora 16. I deselct gnome and choose kde as default desktop. After install i logged in and saw nautilus and other gnome apps are installed why? I want to use pure kde or is fedora gnome based distribution then i shoud use other like kubuntu or something.

Last edited by fedposh; 2nd May 2012 at 04:17 PM.
Old 2nd May 2012, 04:27 PM
sea Online
"Shells" (of a sub world)

linuxfedorafirefox

You could try the KDE spin, that is more 'pure' KDE comming with dolphin, etc...
http://spins.fedoraproject.org/
Old 2nd May 2012, 04:36 PM
gorogoren Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by george_toolan View Post
You might want to wait a couple of weeks and then upgrade to Fedora 17
U read my mind homie! [thumb up] always can upgrade to beta f17 like me...running fine...

---------- Post added at 03:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:32 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedposh View Post
---------- Post added at 07:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:18 AM ----------

[/COLOR] kubuntu or something
dude...Kubuntu SUCKS! don't name it! got the impression u r pretty 'newbie' dunno how u use fedora sorry by being sincere!
Old 2nd May 2012, 04:38 PM
nonamedotc Offline
Community Manager

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Hello,

i now downloaded fedora 16. I deselct gnome and choose kde as default desktop. After install i logged in and saw nautilus and other gnome apps are installed why? I want to use pure kde or is fedora gnome based distribution then i shoud use other like kubuntu or something.
If you download the installation DVD, you can choose one (or multiple) desktop environments during the installation. The additional advantage of using DVD is the ability to choose packages that you want installed on your system.

On the other hand, if you have preference for a particular DE, you can download that specific spin from the link sea has in the previous post.
Old 2nd May 2012, 05:27 PM
BBQdave Offline
The Ubu-Grillmaster

linuxfirefox

Quote:
You might want to consider a fresh install. Back up your data, fresh install of Fedora 16 KDE spin, update system, reload your data, and you are set until Fedora 18 (when Fedora 16 reaches end of life).

If you like Fedora, you will have to install or upgrade annually to have a supported system. Unless there is something super fantastic about the latest Fedora release, no need to install every release (6 months).

Just install once a year, and get a fresh supported Fedora system

Tags
upgrade