Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Other Versions > EOL (End Of Life) Versions
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

EOL (End Of Life) Versions This is a Forum to discuss problems and workarounds for versions of Fedora that have passed End of Life.

Old 9th June 2010, 06:48 PM
sayantandas Offline

linuxsafari
Unhappy Cannot unlock the session because the authentication system failed to work, fc13

Hi there,

I have just upgraded from fedora 12 to fedora 13, x86_64 system. I have both Gnome and KDE environments installed on my system.
Currently I am using the KDE environment and i am facing this issue when i try to unlock my screen

"Cannot unlock the session because the authentication system
failed to work; you must kill kscreenlocker manually"

Any idea why this might happen?

Thanks
Old 23rd April 2012, 11:23 PM
aureliocalegari Offline

linuxchrome
Re: Cannot unlock the session because the authentication system failed to work, fc13

Hi,

I'm running Fedora 16 and I'm having the very same problem. When I lock the screen to leave work for the day, every morning I am forced to reboot the box. If I lock for a couple of hours it's fine, otherwise I get this bloody message. Any one has found a way to 'safely' locking the screen?

Thanks
Aurelio
Old 24th April 2012, 05:06 PM
Gareth Jones Offline
Official Gnome 3 Sales Rep. (and Adminstrator)

linuxfirefox
Re: Cannot unlock the session because the authentication system failed to work, fc13

I don't know about a proper solution, but there is a better way of escaping it than a reboot.

Switch to another virtual console (press Ctrl+Alt+Fx, where Fx is F1–F6, until you get a text login screen). Login as yourself, and run "killall kscreenlocker" (KDE) or "killall gnome-screensaver" (GNOME), then press Ctrl+D and Ctrl+Alt+Fx again to return to the graphical desktop.
Old 30th April 2012, 11:08 PM
aureliocalegari Offline

linuxchrome

Hi Gareth,

Thanks for the tip! That resolves my problem :-) I can live with that now.
Old 2nd May 2012, 11:18 AM
george_toolan Offline

linuxfirefox

The problem occurs, because you use KDE and apparently kscreenlocker crashes after a couple of hours.

Try a different theme maybe? Something like "starless night" ;-)

When you leave and there's nothing to do you might as well shut down the computer or at least use Suspend to save some energy.

Tags
fedora 13, kscreenlocker, lock screem