Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Community Lounge > Wibble
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Wibble A place to have a sensible chat, about anything non linux related. Please remember that political and religious topics are not permitted.

Old 1st May 2012, 07:34 PM
AndrewSerk Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: CERN discovers new particle

When the USA decided to go to the moon there was many who thought the price was too high also. I myself find it very hard to use some mathematical formula to determine "worth it/not worth it" for the knowledge that mankind gained along the way to the moon and back.

In my mind, you would have to answer the question of "why is mankind here?" before you could say for sure worth it or not.
Old 2nd May 2012, 02:43 AM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox

Actually, I was alluding to the cost in jest. I do support innovation and advancement of technology and science. And no, you really can't put a price tag on the value of discoveries and inventions, at least not for a long time after the discovery.

What does get me hot under the collar is when the taxpayers pay for the research into something that ends up being hidden and the benefits kept from the people. (That's all on this aspect since it would be getting into politics)

I do think CERN does a lot of beneficial research, and probably one of the few places getting research dollars that actually does deserve them. Yes, there probably is a lot of waste and wasted money, but that happens in every one of those places. At least there are some beneficial things coming out of CERN.
Old 2nd May 2012, 07:01 AM
Doug G Offline

windows_7firefox

CERN's wikipedia page is interesting reading

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CERN