Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 21st April 2012, 12:31 AM
tox

windows_7firefox
Re: It's Time For Another Episode of NAME THAT FEDORA RELEASE (Robyn Bergeron)

going by a Phoronix story. Ubuntu 12.10 wont be Codenamed ? http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTA4OTc
Old 21st April 2012, 12:43 AM
TK492 Offline

linuxchrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by tox View Post
going by a Phoronix story. Ubuntu 12.10 wont be Codenamed ? http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTA4OTc
I read the article and the title can be misleading. It doesn't state that it won't be codenamed, but instead states a few examples at the end of what the name won't be (inadvertently poking fun at Fedora).
Old 21st April 2012, 02:21 AM
tox

windows_7firefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK492 View Post
I read the article and the title can be misleading. It doesn't state that it won't be codenamed, but instead states a few examples at the end of what the name won't be (inadvertently poking fun at Fedora).
i should have known better coming from Phoronix.
Old 22nd April 2012, 12:57 AM
kevmif Offline

linuxchrome

I used to like the idea of release names...... but after attempting to vote on Fedora 18, for the first time I will abstain. I can't believe that this load of drivel was all people could come up with.

Kill off 'Beefy Miracle' before its too late. Restart the process for F17 and F18 and put additional quality controls in place.

I know its just a damn name, but at the end of the day whilst it doesn't affect much to do with the release there is still a sense of pride and community associated with it. How things could have gotten so ridiculously messed up in two releases is a very important question - as a community we have dropped the ball somewhere.... Need to go back, find out where and fix the problem.

Yeah, Beefy Miracle - we all had a (somewhat forced) laugh. Most of us would deal with it for one release - but the flow on is not only unsurprising but detrimental to the project as a whole.

Anyone maybe not too familiar with what all of the hoo-hah is about - refer to http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Histor..._release_names

Also, http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Guidel..._release_names - technically the beefy miracle relationship is legitimate, but one would have assumed the board would have stepped in here. Suggest the guidelines quoted below received a thorough review.

Quote:
Show how the name meets the "is-a" test. For example, "Schnozz is a ____, and so is Keister."

Names for releases N and N+1 must be related, and names for releases N and N+2 cannot share the same relationship.

The "is-a" relationship must be reasonably novel. For example, "is a brand of automobile" is reasonably novel. The relationship "is a brand of automobile only manufactured in Uzbekistan" is much better. The relationship "is a word with seven letters" is not sufficiently novel.
Old 26th April 2012, 03:53 AM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox

What I can't figure out is this.

The entire "debate" of ending the release names was brought up due to the F17 name being offensive to some (and no, I'm not going into the details here. This isn't the place)

But, when the complaints about the F17 name came up, they don't fix the reason for the complaint, instead they look at doing away with future names, but still leaving the offensive one in place.

The complaint was NOT about naming Fedora releases. The complaint was and still is the name for F17.

Doing away with future release names does nothing to address the original complaint.
Old 1st May 2012, 05:58 PM
hadrons123 Offline
'The Blue Dragon'

linuxfirefox

a spherical cow .....

worst name ever.

http://lists.fedoraproject.org/piper...il/003067.html
Old 1st May 2012, 06:39 PM
Dan Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox

<....>

<....>
Old 1st May 2012, 06:40 PM
nonamedotc Offline
Community Manager

linuxfirefox

"Cow" again ?!?! Wonder how this name is beneficial for the Artwork team to theme the release ?!
Old 1st May 2012, 06:43 PM
hadrons123 Offline
'The Blue Dragon'

linuxfirefox

No sweat . just see here.
Old 1st May 2012, 06:48 PM
AndrewSerk Offline

linuxfirefox

Snippet from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spherical_cow

Quote:
The phrase comes from a joke about theoretical physicists:

Milk production at a dairy farm was low, so the farmer wrote to the local university, asking for help from academia. A multidisciplinary team of professors was assembled, headed by a theoretical physicist, and two weeks of intensive on-site investigation took place. The scholars then returned to the university, notebooks crammed with data, where the task of writing the report was left to the team leader. Shortly thereafter the physicist returned to the farm, saying to the farmer "I have the solution, but it only works in the case of spherical cows in a vacuum."

It is told in many variants.[2] In Russian, it is called a spherical horse in a vacuum,[3][4] from a joke about a physicist who said he could predict the winner of any horse race to multiple decimal points - provided it was a spherical horse moving through a vacuum.[5] In the TV show The Big Bang Theory a variation of the joke is told with spherical chickens.

The point of the joke is that physicists will often reduce a problem to the simplest form they can imagine in order to make calculations more feasible, even though such simplification may hinder the model's application to reality.
Old 1st May 2012, 07:22 PM
Dan Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox

Which, in the case of any given fedora release, makes it the perfect moniker. <....>
Old 1st May 2012, 07:35 PM
SteveGYBE Offline

linuxfirefox

After "Beefy Miracle", I think we should promote inclusiveness with "Vegan Vegetable". Not suggesting a diet devoid of animal protein lowers the intellectual capacity in any way whatsoever ... some of my best mates don't eat dead animals, etc.

Still, better then "Flat Fish" (cold, wet and slightly slimy).
Old 2nd May 2012, 12:17 AM
tox

windows_7firefox

another retarded name. guess these names have to follow in conjunction with Gnome3's uglyness
Old 2nd May 2012, 12:57 AM
tbelvin Offline

linuxfirefox

Just sounding off out of frustration, but maybe the design team can just use a screenshot of the Cow-Launcher gun in action from the South Park game. "http://southpark.wikia.com/wiki/South_Park_(video_game)"

Last edited by tbelvin; 2nd May 2012 at 01:02 AM. Reason: url
Old 2nd May 2012, 01:05 AM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox

After the issue with the F17 name, I am really surprised that they allow another "cow" reference.

Tags
bergeron, episode, fedora, release, robyn, time