Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 28th April 2012, 07:08 PM
diddy8us Offline

windows_vistafirefox
Question [Solved] Problem With Wireless adapter drivers/being recognized

Hi everyone,

So I recently installed Fedora 16 on my Alienware M17x and have been having problems getting the wireless to work. This is my second Linux install and I am learning quickly, but I cannot seem to solve this problem. It is now a dual boot system and my wireless works fine on my windows install. So first things first, my wireless card is a

Broadcom Corporation BCM4322 802.11a/b/g/n Wireless controller

I have been pouring over FAQs, HOW TOs and forums posts for the past few days and still cannot get it to work, the problem is as follows. After a clean install, my network manager tells me that the firmware is missing, so i updated my kernel and everything else via yum. Then, from various sites on the internet decided that I needed to install the broadcom-wl package. After yum - ing this and its dependency kmod-wl and rebooting my system, the network manager no longer sees my card at all, it is just gone. So I have been going through all the trouble shooting steps i could find, removing conflicting drivers, blacklisting conflicting modules and have had no luck at all, hence I now ask for you all's help. Let me know if you need more info or anything at all that might help me. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by diddy8us; 1st May 2012 at 01:55 AM. Reason: Fixed title...
Old 30th April 2012, 02:10 AM
diddy8us Offline

windows_7firefox
Re: Problem With Wireless adapter drivers/being recognized

Bump for great justice
Old 30th April 2012, 03:04 AM
nonamedotc Offline
Community Manager

linuxfirefox

O.K. Just to make sure - have you looked at this guide?

When you install the packages (or after installing), are you getting any errors or is it just the "Firmware missing" message? I recently got my friend's laptop to work with the exact same card (BCM4322) for Fedora 16 - so I am curious.
Old 30th April 2012, 03:20 AM
diddy8us Offline

macossafari

Yes I looked over the guide many times.

And after the installation, I get no messages at all, it simply doesn't recognize the adapter at all. Before the packages it did say "firmware missing" but now only lists my wired connection.
Old 30th April 2012, 03:53 AM
nonamedotc Offline
Community Manager

linuxfirefox

Do you think it is something to do with the kernel under use? What kernel are you using? Also, do you see the wireless card listed under pci devices?

Code:
uname -r

lspci
Old 30th April 2012, 07:02 AM
diddy8us Offline

windows_vistafirefox

could be a kernel thing, but all my architectures seems to match up, my kernel, from uname -r, is:

3.1.0-7fc16.i686

and yes the card shows up under network controller in my pci devices

I just check that thread again and checked my kernel version against the kmod and found that there is a discrepancy... so i type:

pm -qa | grep -e kernel -e broadcom-wl -e kmod-wl | sort

and it lists back:

abrt-addon-kerneloops-2.0.7-2.fc16.i686
broadcom-wl-5.100.82.112-2.fc16.noarch
kernel-3.1.0-7.fc16.i686
kernel-3.3.2-6.fc16.i686
kmod-wl-3.3.2-6.fc16.i686-5.100.82.112-2.fc16.19.i686
libreport-plugin-kerneloops-2.0.8-4.fc16.i686

(hand typed.. typos possible in little things)

I find it odd that 2 kernels show up, but the kmod versions doesnt seem to match to running kernel, even though that kernel is present in the list. They are both present in /lib/modules as well... not sure what this means or where to go from here
Old 30th April 2012, 08:30 AM
stevea Offline

linuxfirefox

You're not giving full info. Please report the relevant lines of ....
lspci -nnk
this shows the vendor ID and the drivers associated w. the device.

FWIW I just when through this for SL6.2 and my suggestion is that you install the STA 'wl' driver and blacklist b43 and ssb. This appears to work perfectly. The STA 'broadcom-wl' driver seems to be available for Fedora kernels at rpmfusion. (but maybe not for your specific kernel)

Or you can bould from source.
http://www.broadcom.com/support/802.11/linux_sta.php

This is a non-GPL driver and will taint your kernel.

Procedure is to download the driver (32bit for you) and untar the tarball into a directory like /drivers/STA (keep it around - you need to recompile for each kernel.).
cd /drivers/STA
sudo yum install kernel-headers, kernel-devel
make
sudo make install
sudo depmod
#
Then blacklist the non-functional drivers.
cat <<EOF | sudo tee -a /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
blacklist ssb
blacklist b43
EOF
-----------
then reboot or else manually modprobe -r olddriver, modprobe wl

Last edited by stevea; 30th April 2012 at 08:40 AM.
Old 30th April 2012, 10:05 AM
bbfuller Offline

linuxopera

Hello diddy8us

FWIW you need three packages to make a device work with the broadcom-wl driver

Code:
kmod-wl-5.100.82.112-1.fc16.i686.rpm
kmod-wl-3.1.0-7.fc16.i686-5.100.82.112-1.fc16.i686.rpm
broadcom-wl-5.100.82.112-1.fc16.noarch.rpm
You'll see what I had when I used the 3.1.0-7 kernel.

Your output doesn't seem to include the first of those - or its equivalent.

The first and the third rpm's listed above stay pretty much the same, the middle one updates nearly in synchronisation with the kernel.

When you first install the "wl" driver:

Code:
yum install kmod-wl
should bring in all three

If you haven't actually got the 3.3.2-6 kernel on your machine at the moment I'd do a:

Code:
yum update
to get it, and then check for the equivalent of those three packages again. If you don't have all three then try:

Code:
yum install kmod-wl
again.

You probably want to do it from an up to date machine as rpmfusion usually only keeps the kmods for the kernel used in the original distribution and perhaps the most recent couple of kernels.

F16 is a fast moving target. There have been at least 24 kernels that I have kept track of in its 6 months of life so far, which is probably why rpmfusion don't archive all of them.
Old 1st May 2012, 12:43 AM
diddy8us Offline

windows_vistafirefox

@stevea

after a lspci -nnk, the relevant network lines are:

06:00.0. Network Controller [0280] : Broadcom Corporation BCM4322 802.11a/b/g/n Wireless controller LAN Controller [14e4:432b] (rev 01)
Subsystem: Broadcom Corporation Device [14e4:04b1]
Kernel modules: ssb

I thought I blacklisted ssb and b43 from the advice of the how to thread and neither of them show up when i type lsmod.

@bbfuller

so, i got a wired connection just now and made sure the kmod-wl was installed via yum, and after that the third kmod-wl shows up in the output, identical to the example you provided. Then I did a full

yum update

it updated my rpmfusion directories but not my kernel, or atleast it still says the 3.1..... one when i type:

uname -r

And yum says my kmod-wl is still up to date when i try and update/install.

---------- Post added at 01:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:34 AM ----------

Update:

So I am on my other linux machine at work now and feel stupid. I updated the kernel on this one and now I know the process and will do the same on the machine at home which is having the issues. I will let you know what affect the updated kernel has.

---------- Post added at 05:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:16 PM ----------

Update #2:

So as I said, I updated one of my machines and came home to try and do the same on the machine in question. The Kmod-wl module only seems to be supported on 3.3.2-6 kernel now. I follow instructions from the fedora site on how to update your kernel from yum. From this, I get a hard line connection and go into the text version of fedora by typing ctrl alt f2 at the login screen and run

yum clean all

then

yum update

after this is done, i reboot the machine and the new kernel is listed in GRUB but i when i try to boot it, it fails towards the end of the boot saying after about 50 lines of code:

Kernel panic - not syncing: fatal exception in interrupt
panic occured, switching back to text console

so i cant seem to successfully update my kernel on this machine, which i think would fix the wirless problem...

Last edited by diddy8us; 30th April 2012 at 03:40 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 1st May 2012, 01:13 AM
bbfuller Offline

linuxopera

Hello diddy8us

Can't help you with the kernel update I'm afraid, that's another question all together.

However, if you are going to get this wireless going, it should be possible with the 3.1.0-7.fc16.i686 kernel.

That was the original release kernel for Fedora and all of the parts to make wireless work with it are still available in rpmfusion.

I'd suggest catching the Fedora boot menu, booting into that earlier kernel and then:

Code:
yum install kmod-wl-3.1.0-7.fc16.i686-5.100.82.112-1.fc16.i686
That should get you the complete set to enable wireless for that kernel.

It would be interesting to know how you got the other two packages of this set installed without the final one. Have you any idea how it happened, usually the three are dependencies of each other.
Old 1st May 2012, 01:32 AM
stevea Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
06:00.0. Network Controller [0280] : Broadcom Corporation BCM4322 802.11a/b/g/n Wireless controller LAN Controller [14e4:432b] (rev 01)
Subsystem: Broadcom Corporation Device [14e4:04b1]
Kernel modules: ssb

I thought I blacklisted ssb and b43 from the advice of the how to thread and neither of them show up when i type lsmod.
ssb is the power manager and it is known to load even when blacklisted (not sure why, but it's documented).

So it appears you have no driver. Mostly b/c you never installed one for your current kernel.
So either build the driver as I suggested, or switch to a kernel that has a wl.ko drive from rpmfusion.
Old 1st May 2012, 01:53 AM
diddy8us Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbfuller View Post
Hello diddy8us

Can't help you with the kernel update I'm afraid, that's another question all together.

However, if you are going to get this wireless going, it should be possible with the 3.1.0-7.fc16.i686 kernel.

That was the original release kernel for Fedora and all of the parts to make wireless work with it are still available in rpmfusion.

I'd suggest catching the Fedora boot menu, booting into that earlier kernel and then:

Code:
yum install kmod-wl-3.1.0-7.fc16.i686-5.100.82.112-1.fc16.i686
That should get you the complete set to enable wireless for that kernel.

It would be interesting to know how you got the other two packages of this set installed without the final one. Have you any idea how it happened, usually the three are dependencies of each other.
That did it, posting from the wirless connection now. I guess I will have to figure out the kernel thing in good time, Thanks everyone for your help. I appreciate it, sorry if it was a silly problem, gave me tons of issues though.
Old 1st May 2012, 02:09 AM
BBQdave Offline
The Ubu-Grillmaster

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by diddy8us View Post
Update #2:

So as I said, I updated one of my machines and came home to try and do the same on the machine in question. The Kmod-wl module only seems to be supported on 3.3.2-6 kernel now. I follow instructions from the fedora site on how to update your kernel from yum. From this, I get a hard line connection and go into the text version of fedora by typing ctrl alt f2 at the login screen and run

yum clean all

then

yum update

after this is done, i reboot the machine and the new kernel is listed in GRUB but i when i try to boot it, it fails towards the end of the boot saying after about 50 lines of code:

Kernel panic - not syncing: fatal exception in interrupt
panic occured, switching back to text console

so i cant seem to successfully update my kernel on this machine, which i think would fix the wirless problem...
Not sure if you are up for a fresh install...

If you use the Fedora 16 live cd and in the live session activate your wireless connection (if possible), then install, this automatically activates your wireless connection on reboot. Then simply run the yum update command, and that will bring your system to current.

If your not able to get wireless going in the live session, you can still install with wired connection, and then after yum update, hopefully your wireless card will be recognized.

Again I have had no problems with fresh install and then simply yum update, which updates to the latest Linux Kernel.

Last edited by BBQdave; 1st May 2012 at 02:12 AM. Reason: added information
Old 1st May 2012, 09:32 AM
bbfuller Offline

linuxfirefox

Hello diddy8us

Very pleased to hear you've got it working.

Code:
I appreciate it, sorry if it was a silly problem
Not a silly problem at all. When it doesn't work it's very frustrating.

If you have any idea how it came about - see the question at the end of my previous post - I'd still be interested just for future reference.

By the way, Fedora updates regularly, we've had 24 kernels so far in the 6 month life of Fedora 16. Fedora is usually set to keep the previous two kernels as well as the one you are updating to.

It's not unusual to do an update and get a new kernel and find that the rpmfusion kmod for that new kernel hasn't been published yet. That means of course that your wireless stops working until they catch up. at worst it's only a couple of days.

One way around that is to install the akmod-wl package.

That downloads and installs a whole lot of development packages and then automatically generates the kernel specific kmod as you reboot.

You need to be especially careful here. You have one kernel that works and one that doesn't. If the next kernel update causes you problems as well, the one after that will cause you to loose your original, working, kernel.

If you'd like to set your installation to keep more kernels you'll find references to it somewhere on the forum, or post back here and someone will tell you.

Tags
adaoter, drivers or being, problem, recignized, wireless