Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Fedora 19/20 > Using Fedora
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Using Fedora General support for current versions. Ask questions about Fedora that do not belong in any other forum.

Old 28th April 2012, 03:16 PM
avidon Offline

linuxchrome
Intermittent sound problems - sound turns into weird beeping, scratchy noises

Hi,

I searched for this problem, but couldn't find anything; TBH I didn't really know what to search for...

I'm running Fedora 16 with KDE 4.8. My sound is played from the analogue outputs from my motherboard - Intel DH67CF.

Ordinarily, my sound works absolutely fine and with good luck, continues to work just fine.

However, sometimes, when changing songs in banshee, or starting to play a video, or something like that where the sound starts up, the sound will completely mess up. The sound will still be playing, but it will come out as really weird noises; like a series of beeps and scratchy noises that are kinda hard to describe.

If I close the applications that are playing sounds and open them again, the same audio file will start playing as it was supposed to.

I don't remember when I started having this problem. It might even date back to when I first built this computer with Fedora 14 & Gnome 2. I don't remember, since I always just kinda lived with the problem occurring since I can fix it ok and it doesn't happen too often. I guess now I've just gotten fed up with it and would like to have it resolved.

I've absolutely no idea where to begin debugging this strange problem. I don't know whether it's the hardware or the software or drivers or kernel or what. I thought this forum might be a good place to start. If anyone knows anything about this problem, I would really appreciate it.

Since I don't have a clue as to the cause of the problem, I don't know what log files / system info etc. to attach. If there is anything I can provide to help diagnose the problem, please let me know and I can provide whatever it is that you need.

Thanks very much in advance!
David

Tags
beeping, intermittent, noises, problems, scratchy, sound, turns, weird