Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 26th April 2012, 07:50 PM
AndyPen Offline

linuxsafari
ne2k-pci cable unplugged could't get carrier state

Since doing a yum update to NetworkManager 0.9.4 I can't connect to a wired network. I believe NetworkManager reports couldn't get carrier state and then does not try to start networking. Previously NetworkManager would report driver ne2k-pci does not support carrier detection and go on to bring up the device. If I could get networking going I could post some logs.

I tried a yum downgrade on NetworkManager but that failed as there is no networking.

---------- Post added at 07:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:07 PM ----------

A temporary fix is as follows:
sudo kill <pid_of_NetworkManager>
sudo dhclient <network_adapter_e.g. p5p1>
Old 26th April 2012, 08:50 PM
stevea Online

linuxfirefox
Re: ne2k-pci cable unplugged could't get carrier state

If your workaround actually works then *maybe* the ne2k doesn't have it's carrier detect up in time after boot.

Does it work if you just restart NM service or manually tell NM to connect ?
You may want to use mii-diag and mii-tool to dump or watch the carrier state.
Old 26th April 2012, 09:39 PM
AndyPen Offline

linuxchrome
Re: ne2k-pci cable unplugged could't get carrier state

I don't think it is the ne2k not bringing up it's carrier in time because it has always worked fine in F16 until the latest update to NetworkManager (NetworkManager-0.9.4-2.git20120403.fc16.i686). I also understand that NM should detect networks becoming available so if I physically unplug the network cable and then plug it back in, NM should detect this and bring networking up, it doesn't. Also looking at some log files from before the update, NM would report "Apr 22 13:09:18 trinity NetworkManager[830]: <info> (p5p1): driver 'ne2k-pci' does not support carrier detection." but then go on to bring up networking. After the upgrade to the latest version it says:
Apr 26 19:21:57 trinity NetworkManager[842]: <warn> (p5p1): couldn't get carrier state: (-1) unknown
Apr 26 19:21:57 trinity NetworkManager[842]: <info> (p5p1): carrier now OFF (device state 20, deferring action for 4 seconds)
Apr 26 19:21:57 trinity NetworkManager[842]: <info> (p5p1): preparing device.
Apr 26 19:21:57 trinity NetworkManager[842]: <info> (p5p1): deactivating device (reason 'managed') [2]

I have filed a bug (816719) in the hope that the behaviour will be reverted to the previous version of NM. I have not downgraded NM in case extra info is required (and I can get networking going now - although a bit mandrolic). If you would like specific information, let me know.

Tags
cable, carrier, couldt, ne2kpci, state, unplugged