http://repos.fedorapeople.org/repos/kevin/xfce-4.10/
Old 26th April 2012, 01:14 AM
BBQdave Offline
The Ubu-Grillmaster

linuxfirefox
Re: Xfce 4.10 in Fedora 18?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBelton View Post
Is any really big new development happening with xfce? Possibly things to make it more of a Gnome 2 replacement (and no, I'm not trying to say that it needs to be like Gnome 2) for the ones that simply detest Gnome 3 shell? Each "improvement" they make to Gnome 3 is pushing me closer to completely removing it and going completely with a different desktop.
For me, the transition from Debian 6 (Gnome 2) to F16 Xfce was very smooth. No fall off in my work flow: photography, desktop and web publishing, web business transactions, multiple email transactions through multiple accounts, and the usual web surfing and listening to tunes while I work. Some of the applications I use: Gimp, Scribus, Firefox, SeaMonkey, Gedit, Filezilla, VLC.

So far I have gotten by with AbiWord, Gnumeric, so I have not loaded the beast that is Libre Office. And included Xfce applications: Xfburn and Asunder are excellent.

I would highly recommend F16 Xfce. I dug Gnome 2, but it does not take long to feel at home in Xfce
Old 11th June 2012, 10:03 PM
StephenH Offline

linuxfirefox

I just enabled the repo listed in #8 above. I did so on both my desktop and just now on my netbook. I am hoping that the 4.10 release will fix the quirks in xfce-xkb-plugin that affect the netbook where it loses the setting when I suspend and resume.

The other big need is to have a working keyboard LED indicator like LXDE has. That is vital when one has a keyboard without indicator LEDs. Right now, neither Xfce 4.08 nor 4.10 have one. Of course, if somebody knows how to get the LXDE one to show up so I can use it in the Xfce panel, I sure would appreciate it.

"We must understand the reality that just because our culture claims certain things are true it does not mean they are!" --M. Liederbach

http://pilgrim-wanderings.blogspot.com
Old 13th June 2012, 02:47 PM
secipolla Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenH View Post
I
The other big need is to have a working keyboard LED indicator like LXDE has. That is vital when one has a keyboard without indicator LEDs. Right now, neither Xfce 4.08 nor 4.10 have one. Of course, if somebody knows how to get the LXDE one to show up so I can use it in the Xfce panel, I sure would appreciate it.
There's a new panel plugin, xfce4-kbdleds-plugin, that maybe does just that.
Old 13th June 2012, 03:09 PM
StephenH Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by secipolla View Post
There's a new panel plugin, xfce4-kbdleds-plugin, that maybe does just that.
The only problem is that the xfce4-kbdleds-plugin is only as a source which must then be compiled on the user's machine. This requires installing a large number of development packages. Although it will provide the function, and I have used it with Xfce 4.08, I don't consider it a solution until one can just install it with yum like the rest of the system without having to try to figure out which development packages need to be installed to get it to work. In effect, what exists with the xfce4-kbdleds-plugin is 1/2 a solution.

"We must understand the reality that just because our culture claims certain things are true it does not mean they are!" --M. Liederbach

Old 13th June 2012, 03:30 PM
secipolla Offline

linuxfirefox

Kevin posted ( http://lists.fedoraproject.org/piper...ne/001248.html ) that it would be on the repo, but I don't see it there.
Old 13th June 2012, 03:36 PM
StephenH Offline

linuxfirefox

The embed plugin is there but the kbdleds plugin is not. Hopefully, it will be soon. That would be great.

Old 13th June 2012, 05:32 PM
PabloTwo Online
"Registered User" T-Shirt Winner

linuxchrome

@StehenH -
Since I already do a fair amount of rpm package building, I only needed an additional 4 packages to do a "--rebuild" of the xfce4-kbdleds-plugin-0.0.6-1.fc16.src.rpm package.
Code:
BASH:~/-> ll rpmbuild/RPMS/x86_64/
total 72
-rw-rw-r--. 1 paul paul 27729 Jun 13 12:25 xfce4-kbdleds-plugin-0.0.6-1.fc16.x86_64.rpm
-rw-rw-r--. 1 paul paul 41445 Jun 13 12:25 xfce4-kbdleds-plugin-debuginfo-0.0.6-1.fc16.x86_64.rpm
I can make this available online if you're interested, and are using 64 bit F16.
Old 14th June 2012, 02:10 AM
StephenH Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by PabloTwo View Post
@StehenH -
Since I already do a fair amount of rpm package building, I only needed an additional 4 packages to do a "--rebuild" of the xfce4-kbdleds-plugin-0.0.6-1.fc16.src.rpm package.
Code:
BASH:~/-> ll rpmbuild/RPMS/x86_64/
total 72
-rw-rw-r--. 1 paul paul 27729 Jun 13 12:25 xfce4-kbdleds-plugin-0.0.6-1.fc16.x86_64.rpm
-rw-rw-r--. 1 paul paul 41445 Jun 13 12:25 xfce4-kbdleds-plugin-debuginfo-0.0.6-1.fc16.x86_64.rpm
I can make this available online if you're interested, and are using 64 bit F16.
Yes, I am interested, and yes, I am using 64 bit F16. Thank you.

Old 14th June 2012, 02:00 PM
PabloTwo Online
"Registered User" T-Shirt Winner

linuxchrome

@StephenH - OK, you can download xfce4-kbdleds-plugin-0.0.6-1.fc16.x86_64.rpm from here.
Old 14th June 2012, 03:44 PM
StephenH Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by PabloTwo View Post
@StephenH - OK, you can download xfce4-kbdleds-plugin-0.0.6-1.fc16.x86_64.rpm from here.
Thank you. I just downloaded it. I'm going to have to check out mediafire also. It might come in handy for sharing some things with family that are too big to send via Email. The only downside I see is that things are stored openly with no encryption. so it would not work for anything personal.

Old 14th June 2012, 06:04 PM
secipolla Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenH View Post
Thank you. I just downloaded it. I'm going to have to check out mediafire also. It might come in handy for sharing some things with family that are too big to send via Email. The only downside I see is that things are stored openly with no encryption. so it would not work for anything personal.
You might like Dropbox. See http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=278256
If you sign-up with this referral you start with a 2.5 GB storage.
The new Thunderbird also has a feature to upload files to file storage services when emailing people.
Old 15th June 2012, 03:37 PM
StephenH Offline

linuxfirefox

@PabloTwo: Thanks. I downloaded it and it installed and is running fine. That was very helpful. It would be great if it were in the regular repos as it does provide a function that Xfce has been lacking.

Old 15th June 2012, 03:54 PM
nirik Offline
Community Manager

macosmidori

I thought I had add xfce4-kbdleds-plugin. I'll track it down and get it added.

The Fedora updates policy forbids large changes like this in stable releases, and it came out way too late in the f17 cycle to get it in there. ;(

So, for f16/f17 it's going to have to be in a side repo. It will be included in f18 though, and thats not too many months away.
Old 15th June 2012, 06:26 PM
StephenH Offline

linuxfirefox

Thank you. It is a vital tool when one has a keyboard without indicator LEDs such as some netbooks and wireless keyboards. I appreciate it.