Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 23rd April 2012, 11:08 PM
JohnnyF Offline

linuxfirefox
Dead wireless

Leaving my Compaq Laptop on last night, decided to disconnect the wireless by selecting "disconnect" on the panel above, this morning I cannot turn the wireless on;there seems to be no provision. There is an on/off virtual switch on the panel when one opens the network ikon, but it will not let me change from off to on. Anyone have any ideas at all? PS I have checked the switch on the computer... Thanks in advance
Old 24th April 2012, 10:59 PM
StefanJ Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: Dead wireless

Johnny:

I'm running into a similar problem.

I believe that by default Fedora "wraps" network devices in Network Manager, which takes away some of the individual control (e.g., being able to activate and deactivate devices through the Network Device Manager GUI)

Check in /var/log/messages.

Perhaps:

grep wlan0 /var/log/messages

You should see your device being found, checked, activating . . . and then Network Manager taking over.

What to do about it?

I DON'T KNOW. I just wanted you to know that I'm in the same boat. I can't figure out how to de-muck-up my wlan0 connection, because NetworkManager is making it difficult.

Tags
dead, wireless