Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 19th April 2012, 09:50 AM
DeathFromAbove Offline

windows_xp_2003chrome
Re: Stepped up to Xfce

Im happy with Fedora F16 and Xfce. No bling bling and lightweight, just what i need.
Old 19th April 2012, 04:16 PM
BBQdave Offline
The Ubu-Grillmaster

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil_Bert View Post
I don't see it as a "right" choice. To me it's a choice that's right for your circumstances.
Yeah, I am laughing at how two guys from very different worlds can arrive at the same distro (and DE).

Me, a bbq-er that likes to hike and works (amateur) on photography and publishing...

And Linus, a guy who is a little more involved in the Linux world than me
Old 19th April 2012, 07:37 PM
Thetargos Online

Maybe it is time for me checkout XFCE again. I liked it a lot back in the 2.x days, alas at the time Gnome 2 was more functional.

FedoraForum Community forums lurker.
Fedora user since RHL 5.2 :cool:

Systems: Laptop, Main System, Netbook.
Old 20th April 2012, 12:47 AM
ElderSnake Offline

linuxfirefox

I love XFCE and it is surprisingly powerful. Though the bloat concerns may have some merit.

I was trying XFCE 4.8 on my netbook, running 32bit Arch but believe it or not I actually found it a little sluggish. The right click menu even took about two seconds or more to display which is odd. This netbook has a dual core AMD processor (C-50 series) and an onboard Radeon HD 6250 chip, so as far as netbooks go, its not terribly weak. It can even run standalone Compiz at full speed and HD videos. Whether thats just my machine or not I dont know, but I had the same problems with XFCE on an iBook G4 (where Gnome 2 actually ran better )

LXDE was fine as far as speed and responsiveness went, but as it's been said, it has some teething problems and I almost find it a bit awkward in that it's somewhere in between the ultra simplicity of Openbox and the feature-filled nature of the bigger DE's. For some, this is probably the ultimate combination though. But also, on this little netbook, the Openbox window borders, whilst space saving, are more effort to click on and close them etc.

The saviour of my Netbook? Window Maker! (Rupert will nod in approval I'm sure) Considering it's huge window borders and dock icons...I didn't think it would work out too well on the smaller screen but somehow I dont mind. And it's the fastest environment I've used yet.
Old 23rd April 2012, 09:36 PM
rclark Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox

After KDE started giving me fits (I've been a KDE fan for years), I moved over to XFCE and settled in. Like it. For VNC sessions I like LXDE . Both work well for what I do. Nice simple GUI to launch applications. Simple as that.

A bit off topic, but I had a hard disk failure last night. My /home drive just gave it up. So bought a new 1TB drive at Staples, and replaced it today at lunch and booted (wanted to see how Linux would handle this). What I found that was nice .... since the OS couldn't find /home, it dropped me directly to a shell. I then went and made the partition with fdisk and laid down ext4. Then changed fstab to mount it as /home and rebooted. Really straight forward. I thought I would have to dig out a rescue CD and setup the new hard drive that way... but I didn't! Wahoo!!! Then just started restoring folders from an external USB drive I use as backup. I'll finish when I get home. Things are 'coming along' in the Linux world.

Last edited by rclark; 23rd April 2012 at 09:47 PM.
Old 23rd April 2012, 11:19 PM
bigflopper2 Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by rclark View Post
After KDE started giving me fits (I've been a KDE fan for years), I moved over to XFCE and settled in. Like it. For VNC sessions I like LXDE . Both work well for what I do. Nice simple GUI to launch applications. Simple as that.

A bit off topic, but I had a hard disk failure last night. My /home drive just gave it up. So bought a new 1TB drive at Staples, and replaced it today at lunch and booted (wanted to see how Linux would handle this). What I found that was nice .... since the OS couldn't find /home, it dropped me directly to a shell. I then went and made the partition with fdisk and laid down ext4. Then changed fstab to mount it as /home and rebooted. Really straight forward. I thought I would have to dig out a rescue CD and setup the new hard drive that way... but I didn't! Wahoo!!! Then just started restoring folders from an external USB drive I use as backup. I'll finish when I get home. Things are 'coming along' in the Linux world.
glad to know you could get it going, had my last hdd-crash 2 years ago and went almost the same way as you did
Old 24th April 2012, 01:53 AM
BBQdave Offline
The Ubu-Grillmaster

linuxfirefox

Update on F16 Xfce, switched up my hardware too.

Stepping away from Debian 6 and Gnome 2 into F16 Xfce was smooth and no disruption to my work flow. F16 Xfce worked well on my old hardware (dell inspiron 1100, celeron 2 GHz with 1 gig of ram), but I have been looking for new hardware, as this notebook is approaching a decade of use.

So the Buy More (best buy) had a good price on a Toshiba Satellite C655, i3 with 4 gigs of ram. The kid at the store was kind enough to let me try my F16 live cd, and all seemed good.

Got home, with the first power up, I booted directly into the F16 live cd to do some more testing. Again, everything working great with Xfce, so I installed F16 Xfce.

I have to say, I am absolutely amazed. I was used to slow and older applications (old dell - Debian 6 Gnome 2), but hey, it was a tank and reliable. But now, wow! F16 Xfce is blazing fast, smooth and responsive, and my applications are fresh releases.

Again, I am extremely happy with F16 Xfce, and would highly recommend this distro to anyone moving from Gnome 2. Works well on old hardware, and if you have new hardware... Wow!
Old 24th April 2012, 03:36 AM
StephenH Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigflopper2 View Post
yeah, I'm using Xfce on my desktop and lxde on my laptop.

what do you exactly mean with "early symptoms of 'the bloat'", I don't have any "bloat-issues" with Xfce.

btw: for anyone who want's to try version 4.10:
This does not work. The response to the wget line is that it is not found.

I guess I'll have to wait until it comes out somewhere more accessible.

"We must understand the reality that just because our culture claims certain things are true it does not mean they are!" --M. Liederbach

http://pilgrim-wanderings.blogspot.com
Old 24th April 2012, 04:43 AM
stevea Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
yeah, I'm using Xfce on my desktop and lxde on my laptop.

what do you exactly mean with "early symptoms of 'the bloat'", I don't have any "bloat-issues" with Xfce.

btw: for anyone who want's to try version 4.10:
What do I mean ?

Quote:
# sudo yum erase \*xfc\*
Installed size: 53 M
Is this ok [y/N]: n

# sudo yum erase \*lxd\*
Installed size: 1.7 M
Is this ok [y/N]: n
Openbox adds another ~1.5MB.

Of course Gnome is 1.3GB and KDE is 1.7GB on this laptop (there are some really silly dependencies that make the real Gnome & KDE figures a little smaller).

lxde is a terrific fly-weight desktop - yet it is missing some basic tools that must be swiped from other desktops.

I can see the argument that XFCE is more complete & polished than LXDE, but if the development plan is to continue to double XFCE in size periodically and approach even the 0.5GB GB mark - then they are gonna fall off my list.

Last edited by stevea; 24th April 2012 at 04:56 AM.
Old 14th May 2012, 05:49 PM
BBQdave Offline
The Ubu-Grillmaster

linuxfirefox

So I played around with F16 Gnome 3 for a couple of weeks. Very smooth and worked well on my new hardware (Toshiba Satellite C655).

Gnome 3's DE is awkward to me (I know, nothing new from what others have expressed). F16 Gnome 3 was really easy to set up, but not a good fit for me. Thought I would a least give it a fair try, but a couple of weeks is enough.

I will be hanging with F16 Xfce and looking forward to F18 Xfce 4.10

Xfce fan-boy here If you are moving from Gnome 2, I highly recommend F16 Xfce
Old 14th May 2012, 06:20 PM
bigflopper2 Offline

linuxfirefox

fan-boy here as well

I installed Xfce 4.10 for F16 and it's a f... joy, the menu isn't sluggish anymore and a lot of new features, plus the albatross theme fits so perfectly (looking like gnome 2)...just awesome
Old 14th May 2012, 10:20 PM
BBQdave Offline
The Ubu-Grillmaster

linuxfirefox

Quote:
the albatross theme fits so perfectly (looking like gnome 2)...just awesome
I am using greybird, may have to try albatross to compare themes. Specifically: I am using Adwaita with Gnome icons and Greybird window manager (and of course, my own desktop background).

And it sounds like it is going well with Xfce 4.10 and F16, no stability issues?

Last edited by BBQdave; 15th May 2012 at 01:02 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 15th May 2012, 10:35 AM
bigflopper2 Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQdave View Post
I am using greybird, may have to try albatross to compare themes. Specifically: I am using Adwaita with Gnome icons and Greybird window manager (and of course, my own desktop background).

And it sounds like it is going well with Xfce 4.10 and F16, no stability issues?
No stability issues, it's working fluently.