Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 23rd April 2012, 06:18 PM
omelette Offline

linuxfirefox
Huawei 3G modem not mountable...

Hi. As an exercise I have been trying to build myself a bare-minimum fc14 kernel and although I've largely succeeded, I've hit a snag with regards to the Huawei modem.

Specifically, I am in fact using the micro-SD slot in the Huawei with a 8GB card, and although the card itself is detected, it cannot be mounted, issuing the following error message;

Quote:
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sdb1,
missing codepage or helper program, or other error
In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
dmesg | tail or so
Please note that there is nothing wrong with the card itself which mounts perfectly when I boot with my non-customised fc14 kernel. Running the suggested "dmesg | tail" produces nothing of interest either. Also note that the 3G modem-part of the Huawei is also not being detected despite having a 'PPP'-modularised kernel - so the two problems are probably connected! But as I'm not using the modem-part, I'm not too concerned about that.

Obviously there is something that needs to be included in the kernel to add these ommisions - but what is it???

PS - My '.config' was started from scratch (make defconfig) both from the learning point of view and also because when I used the 'config-2.6.35.14-106.fc14.i686' in /boot it produced an unbelieveable 450meg rpm when I did a 'make rpm', and more staggering still, a /lib/modules/<new kernel> folder size of over 800meg when I just did a fresh 'make && make modules_install'!!! Also, 'autofs' is enabled and working properly.

Tags
huawei, moden, mountable