Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 23rd April 2012, 04:21 PM
Wiezeboe Offline

linuxfirefox
Question Printer just doesn't print

I've done a new install of F16. It recognized my printer (HP Deskjet 930c) and everything seems to be working fine, except that the printer doesn't print.

After giving the "print" command, a new printjob is made, but it just keeps "processing", and even after a long wait, nothing happens.

Please help.
Old 23rd April 2012, 04:46 PM
smr54 Online

linuxfirefox
Re: Printer just doesn't print

Sometimes, the built in print configuration tool doesn't work properly. (I don't use it enough to be able to say more than that vague statement).

What will sometimes help is removing the printer, then, reinstall it, this time using hp-setup. (If it's a networked printer
hp-setup -i <ip_address>
Old 23rd April 2012, 05:04 PM
goodfella Offline

linuxfirefox

Setup the printer and then see if you can print a test page within the
setup menu.
Old 23rd April 2012, 05:54 PM
PabloTwo Online
"Registered User" T-Shirt Winner

linuxchrome

A few weeks ago I had occasion to want to use my printer for the first time since installing F16 from the Xfce spin CD. I had not previously setup the printer. I enabled the cups.service (disabled since I wasn't using the printer), then used the Fedora supplied printer setup utility, giving it the "hp_deskjet_5550.ppd" file. All seemed to go just fine. Everything looked good, but when I tried to print something, the printer just sat there totally unresponsive. The print queue said the print job had been completed 100%. Yes, I tried using "localhost:631" setup also. Same "none" functioning results.

I booted into F12 and printed out my tax forms, same printer, same driver. I hadn't bothered with this issue until reading this post and noted smr54's suggestion, which I took. Installed hplip, hplip-gui, hplip-common and hplip-libs, along with 14 other packages brought in as dependencies, including..
Quote:
Dep-Install phonon-backend-vlc-0.5.0-1.fc16.1.x86_64 @rpmfusion-free-updates
...what? You've got to be kidding... rpmfusion repo needed to install hplip? That aside, after deleting the "printer" from the stock printer setup utility, I installed it using the hp-setup. Now the printer actually prints.

Tags
930c, deskjet, print, printer