Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Community Lounge > Reviews, Rants & Things That Make You Scream
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Reviews, Rants & Things That Make You Scream The place for you to submit reviews of all those applications you use with Fedora. The Devs probably aren't listening, but some times you've just GOT to blow off steam or sing its praises.

Old 22nd April 2012, 03:20 AM
deanej Offline

linuxchrome
Re: Amazon Instant Video: Fedora Support Gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steerpike View Post
I don't understand linux well enough to know why it has to be more complicated on Fedora, but I'm bummed.
Ubuntu and Mint don't remove obsolete packages at the drop of a hat. Fedora likes to be bleeding edge, so no hal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenH View Post
I'm curious. I have Fedora 16 x86_64 and no hal installed (checked with rpm -qa | grep hal) and yet Amazon Prime videos do work for me. Is this more a flash issue than a hal issue?
It depends on the show. Amazon hasn't DRMed everything for some reason. It's not a TV vs Movie thing; every episode of Star Trek has DRM on it as well. I can't see a pattern.
Old 26th April 2012, 03:56 PM
scottfones Offline

linuxchrome

I just wanted to add that I installed the 64bit packages based on what kaiserman suggested. The only thing I did differently was install them all at once using

Code:
yum localinstall ...
This seemed to fix everything.
Old 25th May 2012, 03:07 PM
cnystrom Offline

linuxfirefox

Thanks Kaiserman!

That fixed it for me!
Old 26th May 2012, 12:10 AM
deanej Offline

linuxchrome

The question is, how long will it work?
Old 29th May 2012, 04:10 AM
StephenH Offline

linuxfirefox

I tried it, but wound up removing HAL. Since it is not (AFAIK) coming back in either F16, F17, or beyond, another solution needs to be found to this whole DRM mess. Google Chrome seems to be working okay for now (but its flash seems to be a little less stable. The point is that it does work, at least for now, without HAL installed.

"We must understand the reality that just because our culture claims certain things are true it does not mean they are!" --M. Liederbach

http://pilgrim-wanderings.blogspot.com
Old 29th May 2012, 09:31 PM
deanej Offline

linuxchrome

It does not work with Chrome or anything else. You must have not been watching a video with DRM on it. Try Star Trek: The Next Generation; it has DRM and does not work without HAL.
Old 9th June 2012, 02:11 AM
Mark1234 Offline

linuxfirefox

@kaiserman

.... YOU ARE THE MAN!!!!!

tem minutes ago, I could not watch Dr. Who seeason 3 episode 11. Now I can!! It worked like a charm.

@steerpike

I don't know why it did not work for you, as I am also running Fedora 16 64bit. I have Nvidia drivers and KDE installed. This solution works for me.

Hopefully Amazon will come up with a more elegant solution in the future, or maybe someone will pick up the hal project, so it can make it back to current repo's.
Old 9th June 2012, 03:12 AM
smr54 Offline

linuxchrome

Well, you have to watch the last two episodes now. (Assuming that you're talking about the latest versions of the Doctor, and that you were referring to the episode called Utopia.)

And then, after watching the end of the final episode, you'll want the Christmas special for that year.
Old 11th June 2012, 09:49 PM
StephenH Offline

linuxfirefox

My latest attempt at a soluition:

Using VirfualBox, set up a virtual F17 machine (mine happens to be 64 bit).
Install the HAL RPMs in that virtual machine.
Watch Amazon videos without having to install HAL in my regular physical F17 setup.

The only downside seems to be that the regular videos play smoothly but the HD versions have some lag between sound and video. However, I might be able to tweak the VM settings to improve that.

"We must understand the reality that just because our culture claims certain things are true it does not mean they are!" --M. Liederbach

http://pilgrim-wanderings.blogspot.com
Old 11th June 2012, 10:40 PM
deanej Offline

linuxchrome

Nice to know those still work in Fedora 17. I'm thinking of having a Linux Mint setup just to avoid the potential issues.
Old 17th November 2012, 03:10 AM
Conor++ Offline

linuxchrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottfones View Post
I just wanted to add that I installed the 64bit packages based on what kaiserman suggested. The only thing I did differently was install them all at once using

Code:
yum localinstall ...
Came via google.
Just a bump in case anyone had the same problem as me I found the solution here.

I have Fedora 17 x64 and had problems playing DRMed flash content on RTÉ player (rte.ie)

After gathering all the hal related rpms I did as scottfones suggested and ran:

Code:
sudo yum localinstall hal-0.5.14-11.el6.x86_64.rpm hal-filesystem-0.5.14-6.fc15.x86_64.rpm hal-info-20090716-3.1.el6.noarch.rpm hal-libs-0.5.14-11.el6.x86_64.rpm hal-storage-addon-0.5.14-11.el6.x86_64.rpm
Worked perfectly.
Old 6th January 2013, 02:05 AM
whitehat237 Offline

linuxfirefox

This is now working properly for me in Fedora 17 x86_64 using 64 bit mozilla firefox browser.

Here's what I did.

As mentioned in previous posts, download and install the following hal packages.

I installed the following 64 bit packages because I'm using 64 bit FC17

hal-0.5.14-6.fc15.x86_64.rpm
hal-filesystem-0.5.14-6.fc15.x86_64.rpm
hal-libs-0.5.14-6.fc15.x86_64.rpm
hal-devel-0.5.14-6.fc15.x86_64.rpm
hal-info-20090716-4.fc15.noarch.rpm
hal-storage-addon-0.5.14-6.fc15.x86_64.rpm

Download all the packages to /home/<your_username>/Downloads/Hal_Packages for example. Note, you may need to create the directory. You can do that like this. In bash $USER can be used to determine <your_username> so I'll use that in the following command examples.

mkdir -p /home/$USER/Downloads/Hal_Packages/
You can get them from the University of Oregon here: Please note there may be a closer mirror to you.

http://mirror.uoregon.edu/fedora/lin...64/os/Packages

Once all of the packages have been downloaded, you can use yum localinstall to make it easy.

cd /home/$USER/Downloads/Hal_Packages

sudo yum -y localinstall ./*.rpm

Based on research elsewhere, I found it was necessary to clear the Adobe flash player cache because it tends to get corrupted.

You can clear the cache with:

rm -rf home/$USER/.adobe/Flash_Player/*
This will force Adobe flash player to rebuild it's flash access cache.

For good measure, I also reinstalled flash-plugin. Please note, you will need the rpmfusion non-free repo to install the flash-plugin package.
sudo yum reinstall flash-plugin

If you end up installing the rpmfusion free and non-free repo, after installing run the following commands:

sudo yum clean all
sudo yum install flash-plugin

The final snag that gave me trouble was selinux.

If you just want things to be easy, use this command:

setenforce 0

This will set selinux to permissive mode. Note: This does not survive reboot. You will need to run it every time you want to watch videos. I don't recommend permenantly disabling selinux and wont provide instructions here on how to do that.

If you actually want to fix the problem so that selinux can be left in enforcing mode, keep reading.

I noticed the following AVC denial events in /var/log/audit/audit.log

type=USER_AVC msg=audit(1357434444.965:146): pid=749 uid=81 auid=4294967295 ses=4294967295 subj=system_u:system_r:system_dbusd_t:s0-s0:c0.c1023 msg='avc: denied { send_msg } for msgtype=method_call interface=org.freedesktop.Hal.Device member=GetPropertyType dest=org.freedesktop.Hal spid=2222 tpid=2119 scontext=unconfined_u:unconfined_r:mozilla_plugin_ t:s0-s0:c0.c1023 tcontext=system_u:system_r:initrc_t:s0 tclass=dbus exe="/usr/bin/dbus-daemon" sauid=81 hostname=? addr=? terminal=?'
type=USER_AVC msg=audit(1357434444.965:147): pid=749 uid=81 auid=4294967295 ses=4294967295 subj=system_u:system_r:system_dbusd_t:s0-s0:c0.c1023 msg='avc: denied { send_msg } for msgtype=method_call interface=org.freedesktop.Hal.Manager member=FindDeviceStringMatch dest=org.freedesktop.Hal spid=2222 tpid=2119 scontext=unconfined_u:unconfined_r:mozilla_plugin_ t:s0-s0:c0.c1023 tcontext=system_u:system_r:initrc_t:s0 tclass=dbus exe="/usr/bin/dbus-daemon" sauid=81 hostname=? addr=? terminal=?'

You can use audit2allow to create a new policy to allow these system actions.

grep hal /var/log/audit/audit.log | audit2allow -M myhalpolicy1

[root@warpdrive Downloads]# grep Hal /var/log/audit/audit.log | audit2allow -M myhalpolicy1
******************** IMPORTANT ***********************
To make this policy package active, execute:

semodule -i myhalpolicy1.pp

As it suggests, run the semodule command:
semodule -i myhalpolicy1.pp

If all goes well, you should be able to restart firefox, and watch any DRM protected content.

Last edited by whitehat237; 6th January 2013 at 02:06 AM. Reason: Added keyword Fedora 17 so that google users will find this post.
Old 6th January 2013, 02:55 AM
marko Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottfones View Post

Code:
yum localinstall ...
The old way: "yum localinstall <package>.rpm" is unnecessary. "yum install <package>.rpm" is fine (yum now figures out that a file is local and just works)
Old 15th January 2013, 04:41 AM
whitehat237 Offline

linuxfirefox

Here's a better write up on this which doesn't require you to install the hal packages from FC 15 on your FC >= 17 box. You can use fakehal instead:

http://wtogami.blogspot.com/2012/12/...fedora-16.html
Old 17th February 2013, 05:41 PM
Deb Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitehat237 View Post
Here's a better write up on this which doesn't require you to install the hal packages from FC 15 on your FC >= 17 box. You can use fakehal instead:

http://wtogami.blogspot.com/2012/12/...fedora-16.html
Tried Togami's method in a 3.7.7-201.fc18.i686 machine, with selinux disabled. Still hitting Error code: 3322 in Adobe drm test page following instructions here.

Accordingly, in Amazon instant watch, the streaming is stopping after 25 sec.

Any idea what is triggering the 3322 error, apart from selinux AVC denial- in fedora 18?