Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 21st April 2012, 03:32 PM
Jc61990 Offline

linuxchrome
New Fedora user with a couple of questions/problems

Hello everyone, my name is JC and im new to the forums, as well as Fedora.. well somewhat. Ive used fedora in the past, i believe it was FC6 or 5. anyway ive been running linux for pretty long time, ive had CentOS 6 on my dedicated server for about 3 years now, centos being a RHEL OS, im pretty familiar with Fedora already, but theres still a lot i need to learn. I used to use Debian based distros only because i wasnt comfortable with yum, but i knew apt pretty good. ive just had enough issues running debian so i decided to make my move to redhat, my server has been running for 3 years with no issues so that kind of reassured me that im moving to a solid foundation. well on to the problems..

1st thing i encountered last night was after getting my computer the way i like it, installing a few gnome extensions, installing some software and so on. I installed my ATi drivers only to find out GNOME doesnt like them that much so i removed those and got back to where i was. 2nd thing that has happened, i was curious as to how KDE runs, i love Gnome and gnome 2, gnome3 is a whole new world to me, so i wanted to try out both enviroments to see which i liked better.. i didnt like the KDE that much, and i hate XFCE so i stuck with gnome 3.

i ran this command last night before going to bed ' sudo yum groupremove "KDE Software Compilation" && reboot ' woke up this morning to find about 3/4 of the software i had installed was gone! alone with part of gnome. everything i tried to open would crash gnome, i opened up the package manager and went thru the software list, sure enough gnome wasnt checked off. so i tried to install it, and its telling me a whole bunch of libs are missing and they cant be found.

so basically im pretty stuck right now. i can reinstall i have nothing on here that i care about, but if theres an easier solution to this, im all ears.

my other tiny problem.. i cant get minecraft to run, i have java 7 and after the game loads, the screen is just black not a big problem but if anyone knows how to fix this off hand would be great help..

Thanks!

edit: Im not sure why it didnt post my signature, all my hardware specs are in it..

heres my system for refrence:
CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K
M/B: Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD5
RAM: 16GB Mushkin DDR3 1866MHz
GFX: AMD Radeon HD 6970 2GB
SOUND: SoundBlaster X-Fi Titanium Pro Fatal1ty 7.1Ch
ATI Internal Digital Cable Tuner Card
HDD: 500GB Seagate Momentous XT Hybrid w/4GB SSD (linux drive) | 1TB Seagate Barracuda 6GB/s
i5-2500K | 16GB DDR3 | Intel Z68 | AMD HD 6970 | SandyBridge | X-Fi Titanium
500GB Seagate Momentus XT (linux) | 1TB Seagate Barracuda 6GB/s (win7)

Last edited by Jc61990; 21st April 2012 at 03:51 PM.
Old 21st April 2012, 04:02 PM
glennzo Online
Un-Retired Administrator

linuxubuntuchrome
Re: New Fedora user with a couple of questions/problems

The easiest and quickest solution is to just re-install the OS and be done with it, IMHO.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Laptop: Toshiba Satellite / Intel Core 2 Duo 1.73 GHz / 2GB / 160GB / Intel Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME/943/940GML Integrated Graphics
Desktop: BioStar MCP6PB M2+ / AMD Phenom 9750 Quad Core / 4GB / 1TB SATA / 500GB SATA / EVGA GeForce 8400 GS 1GB
Old 21st April 2012, 05:09 PM
bob Online
Administrator (yeah, back again)

Location: Colton, NY; Junction of Heaven & Earth (also Routes 56 & 68).
linuxfirefox

Many signature tweaks were purposely disabled to stop spammers who abused the signature tools. Sorry that it caused some issues with you, perhaps one of the Admins can assist if you need/want some items to be displayed. Just PM them and ask.

I'll echo the advice to reinstall; then go into the Guides and check out MATE and Cinnamon as alternate DE's once you've installed Gnome3. Both approximate Gnome2 in form and function.
Registered Linux User #362651

Don't use any of my solutions on working computers or near small children.
Old 21st April 2012, 05:15 PM
glennzo Online
Un-Retired Administrator

linuxubuntuchrome

Looks like it's been fixed? In the control panel display signatures is enabled.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Laptop: Toshiba Satellite / Intel Core 2 Duo 1.73 GHz / 2GB / 160GB / Intel Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME/943/940GML Integrated Graphics
Desktop: BioStar MCP6PB M2+ / AMD Phenom 9750 Quad Core / 4GB / 1TB SATA / 500GB SATA / EVGA GeForce 8400 GS 1GB
Old 21st April 2012, 05:54 PM
Jc61990 Offline

linuxchrome

Thanks for the help guys, yeah i found the signature settings in my User CP it was set to hide all signatures, must be a default setting.

So i reinstalled fedora and everything seems to be working now, i just need to remember what i had installed now.

One thing actually, i know theres trouble with the Radeon HD drivers and Gnome, but is there any alternative to AMD's official drivers?

getting 12FPS in some games with a 300$ gfx card is just upsetting lol
i5-2500K | 16GB DDR3 | Intel Z68 | AMD HD 6970 | SandyBridge | X-Fi Titanium
500GB Seagate Momentus XT (linux) | 1TB Seagate Barracuda 6GB/s (win7)

Tags
couple, fedora, questions or problems, user