Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 17th April 2012, 08:39 PM
edwinexil Offline

linuxchrome
Lenovo T420

I am using a Lenovo T240 with Fedora 16 installed everything works fine but when i attached it the docking station, its doesnt work, the screen goes black and nothing works any help on this matter would be Great.......
Old 17th April 2012, 09:25 PM
coozoo Offline

linuxopera
Re: Lenovo T420

Hi, will be good to know how it doesn't work, for example: from just maybe turned off screen to kernel panic. When you unattached does it still dead? should you just press power button to return. Or it becomes to live even attached to dock and turned on power etc....
Make the next: turn on your lap -> after booting (remember current time) attach to station -> search for error in /var/log especially inside dmesg, messages (or post it here)
Old 17th April 2012, 11:29 PM
edwinexil Offline

linuxfirefox

I found out this happens when using the display port, when I unplug it, everything works fine, When I plug into the display port with laptop opened runs correctly, if I plug into display port and turn on laptop it frezes when initalizing.
Old 18th April 2012, 12:25 AM
Misfit138 Offline

linuxchrome

This should be OS agnostic. Check your BIOS settings.
Old 18th April 2012, 01:17 PM
coozoo Offline

linuxopera

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwinexil View Post
I found out this happens when using the display port, when I unplug it, everything works fine, When I plug into the display port with laptop opened runs correctly, if I plug into display port and turn on laptop it frezes when initalizing.
So in my opinion could be few problem sources:
1. some kernel bug (really not sure that is the reason)
2. some xorg issue
3. video drivers problem

1.2. MAYBE update will fix it, really I don't know
3. dependenly from your video card nvidia, ati, intel (or some both) try to install drivers
For real a solution need to look for any errors in logs

Just to identify problem try another environment

PS I'm not sure but I think you have NVIDIA+Intel. I know such systems are able to change their current video for battery save. I've never had such systems for expirements. But I think it could be reason, maybe Misfit138 is right try to find something by sense, or maybe it should be in onboard peripherals in any case try to find your video card options and disable one of them. If that help so that means that you've catch your problem after that need to find solution....

Last edited by coozoo; 18th April 2012 at 01:42 PM.
Old 18th April 2012, 07:06 PM
george_toolan Offline

linuxfirefox

If a problem exists when you switch on the system, then it has nothing to do with the operationg system, which isn't even running at that point.

Try a different display port cable maybe?

This could be a hardware issue.

Tags
lenovo, t420