Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 17th April 2012, 12:40 PM
Dan Online
Administrator

linuxfirefox
Re: Latest Kernel Update

Ayup.

I kinda suspected that. Just to test it, I updated a liveUSB F16 install in an older laptop (GeForce 7150M) and it's now fully and completely vunderborked.
Old 19th April 2012, 05:11 PM
ltpwrusr Offline

linuxfirefox

Kernal 3.3.2-1 upgrade will not complete. Looks like Yum wants my /boot partition to be larger. It is currently 101.5 M. 85 M are currently in use. Maybe I am lucky it didn't install given the thread... Should I wait for another update? Should I try to resize the partition? Is that actually the problem?

I looked into the size /boot should be on http://fedorasolved.org/installation...how-much-space and it suggests 100 M /boot patition which is what I have always used.

Here is my message output from Yum:

9:22:56 : YUM: --> Running transaction check
09:22:56 : YUM: ---> Package kernel.x86_64 0:3.3.2-1.fc16 will be installed
09:22:56 : YUM: --> Finished Dependency Resolution
09:22:56 : YUM: --> Running transaction check
09:22:56 : YUM: ---> Package kernel.x86_64 0:3.1.0-7.fc16 will be erased
09:22:56 : YUM: --> Finished Dependency Resolution
09:23:21 : YUM: Setting up and reading Presto delta metadata
09:23:22 : YUM: Processing delta metadata
09:23:22 : YUM: Package(s) data still to download: 26 M
09:26:00 : Downloaded : kernel-3.3.2-1.fc16.x86_64.rpm ( 26 M )
09:26:00 : YUM: Running Transaction Check
09:26:01 : ERROR: Error in yum Transaction : Test Transaction Errors: installing package kernel-3.3.2-1.fc16.x86_64 needs 14MB on the /boot filesystem
Old 19th April 2012, 05:38 PM
PabloTwo Online
"Registered User" T-Shirt Winner

linuxchrome

Actually, the "default", recommended, Fedora /boot partition size has been 200MB up through F14. Beginning with F15, that "default" (recommended) size went up to 500MB. You're easiest option would be to "yum erase" your older kernel, making room in /boot for the newest kernel.

Then, edit your /etc/yum.conf file, changing the line installonly_limit=3 to installonly_limit=2
That will limit the number of installed kernels to just two, giving you some breathing room for the next kernel updates that come along.
Old 19th April 2012, 09:56 PM
ltpwrusr Offline

linuxfirefox
Thumbs up Re: Latest Kernel Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by PabloTwo View Post
Actually, the "default", recommended, Fedora /boot partition size has been 200MB up through F14. Beginning with F15, that "default" (recommended) size went up to 500MB. You're easiest option would be to "yum erase" your older kernel, making room in /boot for the newest kernel.

Then, edit your /etc/yum.conf file, changing the line installonly_limit=3 to installonly_limit=2
That will limit the number of installed kernels to just two, giving you some breathing room for the next kernel updates that come along.
Thank you!

Shame on me for ignoring the default installation settings... That was a dead give-away to the change in needs which I ignored. .I have customized the partition install for a decade and 50 workstations and servers. 100M always worked before. Somebody should update the document at http://fedorasolved.org/installation...how-much-space which still suggests a 100 M /boot partition though.

I am ready to try your suggestion. I found the log of installed kernels in /etc/grub2.cfg. I edited /etc/yum.conf to installonly_limit=2 instead of 3.

Now, I assume I am to use a terminal to access Yum and issue a command like:
yum erase vmlinuz-3.1.0-7.fc16.x86_64
Is this correct?

Then, I can run yum update in a terminal or use the Yum Extender graphical interface?

Thanks again!

---------- Post added at 12:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:57 AM ----------

I had problems getting yum erase to work, on the package names I tried, in terminal so I went back to the Yum Extender GUI. I was able to locate the oldest kernel version there and uninstall it there. Then I ran the kernel update successfully. Thank you for your help. I will be installing all future Linux loads with 500M in the /boot directory to avoid this issue. Of course this was my own, new, laptop which was first to get a FC16 install and only get a 100M /boot partition. No problems with the updated kernel. All works great!
Old 16th May 2012, 06:27 PM
CharAznable Offline

linuxfirefox

Guys, I got a problem too after updating to 3.3.5-2.fc16.x86_64 KDE. My Google Chrome window is all red. Tried to reinstall and change theme but it doesn't work. Also, it looks like my file formats are all gone. RPM files (as well as a bunch of others) are now recognized as .txt files. I can log in and everything, but those are the issues I've got. Can anybody help? Thanks.

Tags
kernel, latest, update