Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 8th April 2012, 12:32 AM
Marky Mark Offline

linuxfirefox
kmod-ndiswrapper not updated for kernel-3.3

Hi, I've been using ndiswrapper and kmod-ndiswrapper since kernel-2.6 which have automatically been integrated in each kernel update. That is however, until kernel-3.3 and now my wifi connection has stopped working.

I removed ndiswrapper and kmod-ndiswrapper, reinstalled them and followed the usual steps as per the ndiswrapper wiki http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawik...index.php/List, but when I came to the

Code:
$ modprobe ndiswrapper
command, I had a fatal error and was told that the module ndiswrapper didn't exist, even through I was able to run various ndiswrapper commands previously.

I currnently have the following kernels installed:

kernel-3.2.10-3.fc16.i686
kernel-3.3.0-8.fc16.i686

ndiswrapper and the wifi works fine on kernel-3.2 (which I'm using now).
Any ideas why it won't work for 3.3?

Cheers,
Mark
Old 8th April 2012, 01:47 AM
stoat Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: kmod-ndiswrapper not updated for kernel-3.3

There isn't a kmod-ndiswrapper for that 3.3 kernel in the RPM Fusion repo at this moment. Boot with the older kernel for a day or two longer and try updating again later. Or, an alternative that might get it working right now is to install the akmod version. Another quick alternative is to compile ndiswrapper from source for the new kernel. It's a tiny program that compiles in a few seconds.
Old 14th April 2012, 03:58 PM
kalbelo Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox

I experienced the same problem as you
here you can find instruction how to get the newest kmod-ndiswrapper
http://pkgs.org/fedora-16/rpmfusion-....i686.rpm.html

the evidence:
Code:
[root@aragorn ~]# uname -a
Linux aragorn 3.3.1-5.fc16.i686 #1 SMP Tue Apr 10 20:55:58 UTC 2012 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
[root@aragorn ~]# rpm -qa | grep ndiswrapper
kmod-ndiswrapper-3.3.1-5.fc16.i686-1.57-3.fc16.i686
ndiswrapper-1.57-1.fc16.i686
kmod-ndiswrapper-3.2.10-3.fc16.i686-1.57-3.fc16.i686
[root@aragorn ~]# 
[root@aragorn ~]# ip a show wlan0
3: wlan0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast state UP qlen 1000
    link/ether 00:e0:4c:96:d7:9c brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
    inet 192.168.1.104/24 brd 192.168.1.255 scope global wlan0
    inet6 fe80::2e0:4cff:fe96:d79c/64 scope link 
       valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever
[root@aragorn ~]#

Last edited by kalbelo; 15th April 2012 at 04:31 AM.
Old 15th April 2012, 02:10 PM
stoat Offline

linuxfirefox

Well, there's a new kmod in repo now; just not for the kernel he mentioned originally. Marky Mark only needs to do a system update to get the new kernel and kmod-ndiswrapper. This has been happening since forever and probably will continue from time to time. And as noted erarlier, the akmod version usually avoids all of this in the first place.
Old 15th April 2012, 02:21 PM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox

I agree with stoat. Using the akmod instead of the kmod is abut the only way to get around this issue, since the kernel is updated by Fedora, and the kmod is updated by rpmfusion. Rpmfusion doesn't update the kmod until the kernel is released, so there will always be some lag time.

Usually, the lag time is minimal if you don't have the Fedora updates-testing repos enabled since the kernel put in there a few days before moving on to the more stable updates repo.

When I used the kmod-nvidia (before I went to using the akmod) I used to keep the Fedora updates-testing repo disabled and the rpmfusion updates-testing repos enabled. That way, just about every time I got a kernel update, the kmod was already available.
Old 15th April 2012, 03:32 PM
Yellowman

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBelton View Post
I agree with stoat. Using the akmod instead of the kmod is abut the only way to get around this issue, since the kernel is updated by Fedora, and the kmod is updated by rpmfusion. Rpmfusion doesn't update the kmod until the kernel is released, so there will always be some lag time.

Usually, the lag time is minimal if you don't have the Fedora updates-testing repos enabled since the kernel put in there a few days before moving on to the more stable updates repo.

When I used the kmod-nvidia (before I went to using the akmod) I used to keep the Fedora updates-testing repo disabled and the rpmfusion updates-testing repos enabled. That way, just about every time I got a kernel update, the kmod was already available.
It looks like ndiswrapper was delayed by a kernel bug in the header files.

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func...82&atid=604450

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=809014
Old 15th April 2012, 11:08 PM
Marky Mark Offline

linuxfirefox

The system update revealed kmod-ndiswrapper which has just been installed . I thought I had akmod-ndiswrapper already installed - and it certainly is now. What's the difference between the akmod and kmod versions?

Thanks,
Marky Mark
Old 16th April 2012, 03:26 AM
kalbelo Offline

linuxchrome

I didn't go deeper, but for some reason the akmod didn't work here..
Old 16th April 2012, 04:30 AM
stoat Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marky Mark

What's the difference between the akmod and kmod versions?
The akmod version will generate the kmod files when you boot into a kernel that does not already have its kmods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalbelo

...but for some reason the akmod didn't work here
You have to reboot or restart the akmods service.
Old 16th April 2012, 08:39 AM
Yellowman

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalbelo View Post
I didn't go deeper, but for some reason the akmod didn't work here..
The new akmod-ndiswrapper package in the repo requires a 3.3.1-5 kernel or greater to build on i686 due to a kernel bug.

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=809014

Tags
kernel33, kmodndiswrapper, updated