Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Community Lounge > Reviews, Rants & Things That Make You Scream
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Reviews, Rants & Things That Make You Scream The place for you to submit reviews of all those applications you use with Fedora. The Devs probably aren't listening, but some times you've just GOT to blow off steam or sing its praises.

Old 20th March 2012, 01:07 AM
dasnk Offline

windows_7chrome
Thumbs down Fedora 16 install requires network.

Installing from the DVD iso. Not the Live Image, Not a netowrk install.

The installer requires a working internet connection.

And it tells me about this requirement AFTER it has finished writing partition changes to the disk. This potentially leaves the user with a dead computer if for any reason they cannot configure their network.

Tip: Let the user test the network configuration BEFORE you trash their hard drive. Or atleast mention this requirement. There is no sensible reason for the user to expect this requirement in advance. A person using the the full DVD install like this, might well be doing so because they have no network, or a problematic device.

There are other problems I had with this distro after installing, But to be honest I had lost any sympathy after the installer pulled that on me. I think it is a betrayal of trust. The user is taking a risk and there is no forewarning of it, some will not be lucky.
Old 20th March 2012, 01:18 AM
nonamedotc Offline
Community Manager

linuxfirefox
Re: Fedora 16 install requires network.

That's strange. You should be able to install F16 from a DVD WITHOUT internet. Yes - there is an option to connect to internet to download the latest packages, but it IS possible to install without internet too.

This is the second instance I am hearing about this. Someone had posted about the same problem in Linuxquestions forum. Are the same person by any chance?

Welcome to the forum, by the way.
Old 20th March 2012, 02:31 AM
marko Offline

linuxfirefox

If you don't opt into the outside repositories it should just use the packages on the DVD and not need anything outside.

REF:
http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/...ction-x86.html

I believe you need to make sure you don't select any other repositories in the section of the installer
(see in the above URL) titled "Please select any additional repositories..." except the "Installation Repo" which is the one in the DVD itself.

Last edited by marko; 20th March 2012 at 02:38 AM.
Old 20th March 2012, 04:03 AM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox

There is a little bug if you put the DVD on a USB stick.

It will search for the local repo on your optical drives, and when it doesn't find it there, it will require a network to be set up so that it can access the online repos. It doesn't search your USB stick for the repo unless you add the repo= kernel parameter.

If you are using a USB stick instead of actual DVD media, then use livecd-iso-to-disk to create your USB stick as it does properly configure it to look on the USB drive for the install repo.

Edit:

Note that I am still calling this a bug even though the anaconda developers are saying it's not a bug. My opinion is that anaconda should scan the device that it was started from for the local install repo, but that's not the consensus of the anaconda developers.

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=742612

Last edited by DBelton; 20th March 2012 at 04:11 AM.
Old 26th March 2012, 12:19 AM
deanej Offline

linuxchrome

Looks like laziness to me. With a touch of Gnome-type arrogance. They must be technological dinosaurs or colluding with the DVD industry to raise DVD sales.
Old 26th March 2012, 04:26 AM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox

well, there were a few other factors involved a well, so I don't know if I would call it laziness or not.. yet..

Anaconda is slated for a complete rewrite (should be ready for the F18 release if all goes well) so it's possible they are just doing what they have to just to keep the current anaconda usable and focusing their effort on the new version.

Now if the new anaconda has this same issue, then there is a definite problem with the anaconda developers, since it is becoming more popular to use a USB stick rather than burn a DVD image.
Old 27th March 2012, 02:51 AM
deanej Offline

linuxchrome

Well, it seems like it would be really simple since there's a kernel parameter that does it. Plus there's a load of difference between saying "we know it's a bug, but we'd rather focus on the re-write than fixing it right now" and "it's not a bug, it's a feature".
Old 27th March 2012, 10:47 AM
Maegoss Offline

windows_7firefox

I have the same problem, the only difference is that I am installing from a DVD (burned the x64 DVD ISO file).

The installer first asks the language and keyboard layout of the installation, then the hostname of the machine, after that the root password. Then comes the partitioning of the harddisk and immediately after that a window pops up saying the following:

"Select network interface: This requires that you have an active network connection during the installation process. Please configure a network interface."

Since the machine doesn't have an internet connection, the installer couldn't connect to the repository:

"Unable to read package metadata"

I tried to click "Edit" in this error window and set the DVD to be the repository but the installer says that no installation media was found:

"No installation media was found. Please insert a disc into your drive and try again"

Please note that the DVD is already in the drive and the installation was started from the disc!

I didn't get any windows to choose the repositories.

The PC I try to install Fedora 16 on is a Dell Optiplex 390.

According to my understanding this is a quite big bug. Does anybody have any idea how to proceed?

Thank you!
Old 15th April 2012, 10:35 PM
frankVanhoof Offline

I have successfully installed from the DVD to an isolated machine virtual machine. I do think the Anaconda developers should consider giving the user the abilities to both scan all available drives for packages and to browse. Geez we have had that in Windows since the 90s.