Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 15th April 2012, 07:24 PM
kartofflarna Offline

windows_7chrome
Problem booting after updating kernel

Hi!

I did a sofware update on my fedora 16 x64 among the packets that were to be updated was the kernel, I was sitting on the 3.3.0-4.
After the update to 3.3.1-3 I ran through som problems booting the kernel however if I chose to boot the old kernel in GRUB it all worked well.

I didn't have time to look at the issue at that moment so I decided to wait and when I was going to look at it I noticed that I could upgrade again to an even newer kernel (3.3.1-5) and thinking that it might solve the issue I ran that update.

The problem I have now is that none of the three kernel options I have in the grub menu will boot not even the 3.3.0-4 option.
What happens when i pick one is that it seems to start at first and it begins starting up daemons, but stops at "starting sendmail transport agent" every time.
After that the typing marker just stops and blinks I dont even get a shell to work in.

I dont really know what to look for in this since it seems to start up daemons but doesn't start up in any init level cause it doesn't start an X session nor CLI.

If someone could help me with getting the OS to start in any init level that would be great.

Thanks beforehand //kartofflarna

Last edited by kartofflarna; 15th April 2012 at 08:08 PM.
Old 15th April 2012, 10:14 PM
SteveGYBE Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: Problem booting after updating kernel

Do you have an nVidia graphics card? If so, could you be another victim of this: Latest Kernel Update

Try pressing <Ctrl><Alt><F3> to get to a console when the X session fails to start... I'm running with the Nouveau video driver at the moment, hoping the nVidia drivers will be fixed for my card soon!

Tags
booting, kernel, problem, updating