Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 15th April 2012, 05:00 AM
bananasama Offline

linuxfirefox
Fedora KDE startx not working

Hi all!

Please excuse me if there is a fairly obvious answer to this question, I have tried searching around for an answer but haven't had any luck thus far... and still pretty new as a linux user.

I tried to switch my default runlevel to 3 (using this guide: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/System...lt_runlevel.3F). But after I did that and rebooted, I can login just fine as an ordinary user, but if I try to start the X server using "startx" I get a blank screen for about 5 minutes followed by this error:

No protocol specified (repeated a bunch)
xinit: giving up
xinit: unable to connect to X server: Resource temporarily unavailable.

Waiting for X server to shut down Server terminated successfully (0). Closing log file.

xinit: server error
xauth: error in locking authority file /home/usr/.Xauthority

So I logged in as root and just tried "startx." This worked fine and started up. So I changed it back to runlevel 5 and everything works again as an ordinary user. So here I am.

Appreciate any help! And again, sorry if I just missed an easy answer.
Old 15th April 2012, 05:16 AM
AndrewSerk Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: Fedora KDE startx not working

Hi bananasama and welcome to Fedora Forum,

I haven't ran KDE in a while so things might have changed, but I used to run it from the runlevel 3 with:
Code:
startx /usr/bin/startkde
Hope this helps,
Old 15th April 2012, 05:42 AM
bananasama Offline

windows_xp_2003chrome

Hey thanks! I've lurked around the site for a while for some random questions, but nice to finally post something haha. Still amazes/delights me just how active and accessible the fedora/linux community is.

I tried your solution, ended up with about the same problem; blank screen for about 5 minutes with the error. Only difference is now it says ".Xauthority not writable, changes will be ignored"
Old 15th April 2012, 07:11 AM
marko Online

linuxfirefox

I usually just install the switchdesk package and use switchdesk from a command line:

Quote:
su
<root password>
yum install switchdesk
exit
Then just run switchdesk as your normal user one time for the particular desktop you want as the argument:
Quote:
switchdesk kde
That will set up your ~/.Xclients-default file in your home directory

from that point on, just run "startx" like you were trying before from runlevel 3
Old 15th April 2012, 09:26 PM
bananasama Offline

linuxfirefox

Ok, tried that and still am getting that same error message. Haha, it insists on being stubborn.

Tags
fedora, kde, startx, working