Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 14th April 2012, 10:36 AM
printme Offline

linuxfirefox
HP LaserJet 1018 printing problems

I can't print anything. My laptop recognizes my printer, but nothing happens when I actually try to print something.

I was searching online for solutions, but none of them worked for me. And I don't remember which changes exactly I have made.

I'm using:
Toshiba Tecra A11-1FM laptop
Fedora 16 with GNOME3
HP LJ 1018 printer

Tell me if you need any additional info (and how to obtain that info, if not obvious).
Old 14th April 2012, 12:40 PM
smr54 Online

linuxchrome
Re: HP LaserJet 1018 printing problems

Printing can sometimes be tricky--other times, incredibly easy.

I would try the following. (Some of which you've probably done)

Install hplip

Then, run hp-setup -i <printer's IP address>

If it's physically connected, then I think you just run hp-setup. (I just realized I haven't set up a directly connected printer in years, so not quite sure how to do that.)

WIth luck, it will find and install the printer, then offer to print a test page. If nothing happens, then do

sudo less /var/log/cups/error_log

and see if there's anything useful in there. Usually, there isn't.

However, hplip tends to work better than the builtin printer setup tool.
Old 14th April 2012, 04:28 PM
printme Offline

linuxfirefox

Actually, I think everything that I tried was something with foo2zjs, not hplip.

Anyway, how do I find out what my printer's ip address is?

Edit: Oh, never mind, I just realised that was not applicable if it's phisically connected.

---------- Post added at 03:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:34 PM ----------

Wow, that actually worked, thanks a lot!

However, I did something stupid. I tried to print some document (which I don't really want to print), just to see if the printer works. Nothing happened, so I tried restarting my laptop, and the printer began printing my document. However, I realised that the document was big so I decided to turn my printer off until I find where to cancel the printing task. I turned it off while it was in the middle of some page, and then I found where to cancel the whole thing, and cancelled it. Now, when I turn my printer on, its "warning" light is blinking. Trying to print something doesn't help, and I can't take the paper out manually.
I know I did not one but a few stupid things in a row. How do I get out of this situation?

---------- Post added at 03:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:08 PM ----------

I somehow managed to manually remove the paper after all. Everything's fine now.

Last edited by printme; 14th April 2012 at 03:44 PM.
Old 14th April 2012, 05:46 PM
smr54 Online

linuxchrome

Glad it's working. You can, as the starter of the thread, click thread tools and mark the thread solved if you wish.
Old 14th April 2012, 06:45 PM
printme Offline

linuxfirefox

It randomly started not working again. I printed one document without problems. I printed another document without problems. And yet another document. But then the printer started refusing to print again.
Nothing useful in sudo less /var/log/cups/error_log...

---------- Post added at 05:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:03 PM ----------

Update: Randomly started printing again. XD And ,by that, I don't even mean "I canceled that old printing job an hour ago and now tried again". No, I completely forgot about my printer and was doing some unrelated stuff, when the printer suddenly started printing that thing that I had told it to print (an hour ago, or when was that).
So yeah, as far as I am concerned, the problem is solved... I guess I just have to wait long enough if I want to print something. But I won't mark the thread as "solved", someone might know how I can make my printer become more... predictable.

Tags
1018, laserjet, printing, problems