Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 10th April 2012, 11:51 PM
Abendstern Offline

windows_7chrome
Angry Problems Installing Windows 7 in Fedora 16

Hello everyone, I have a story and I want to thank you all in advance for all of the help I'm sure you'll provide.

I'm 17, and I've been building a budget gaming pc for several months now, saving money from each paycheck I've gotten and buying components one at a time. Today the last component of my build arrived: Windows 7 64-bit OEM. I was overjoyed, and went to install it immediately. I had installed Fedora 16 a few weeks earlier with no problems, and assumed that instead of installing Windows 7 from Fedora (which I did not think had a proper installer) I decided to attempt to install the disc from my BIOS. Here is where the problems started.

Once in my BIOS I selected the "manage boot options" button and attempted to boot from my Windows 7 disc. Everything seemed to be working fine until, upon selecting my 500GB WD Caviar Blue HDD, the Windows installer said that it could not install to the HDD because the partition was in GPT format and needed to be in NTFS format. "No problem," I said to myself, and finding that I could not edit my disc drive partition options while the disc was in use I booted into Fedora 16 from a usb stick where I could edit my options without interference. From here I erased everything on my hard drive and changed the 500gigs of space to NTFS format.

Surprisingly, this did not help, and Windows gave me the same error, stating that any of the partitions that I selected were in the wrong format. In fact, no matter how many times I attempted to change the formate of ANY partition the installer always said it was wrong and it was GPT. I assumed it was a BIOS issue or something and decided to attempt an install in Fedora. Once I was in Fedora I loaded the disc and clicked the "setup.exe" file in the disc folder. Fedora opened this in the Archive Manager, which was no help at all, and I figured that I would try Wine. Even after downloading Wine and running the setup file Windows gave me an error saying that I did not have any disc space partitioned for it. Lies. I Once again made a partition and set it to the correct format, same error on install attempt. I searched online for a Fedora installation program and found the Anaconda Fedora installer. The page for it on the Fedora website has all of these nice pictures of fast installs and easy partitioning, all with the Fedora Installer. I searched my computer…It does not appear that I have it and I couldn’t find a download anywhere.

This was not the only problem either. Consistently, when Windows gave me the option for a drive to install it on there were 435 gigs of space that it labeled "reserved for manufacturer," and it said I could not install it to this space. I thought this was ridiculous because Fedora had installed fine, and besides, I bought a 500GB HDD, not a 65GB. Anyways, all of this coalesced into the worst day ever, and I spent about 3 hours messing with my settings in an attempt to set up a clean install. Nothing worked. So, frustrated and on the verge of cybertears, I come before you wise linuxforum people to assist me so that I will not have to result to Hari Kari.

Also, I read online somewhere that there were problems with installing Windows to a UEFI based motherboard (which mine is), but why would a company make a BIOS that didn't support Windows? Once again, no sense is made. Any help you all could provide would be lovely; I really just want to know how to get Windows to install. It's killing me. Also, I did search the internets for help and nobody seemed to have this problem (except the UEFI people).

Thanks,

-Abendstern

Mobo Model: GIGABYTE GA-970A-UD3
Old 11th April 2012, 03:59 AM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox
Re: Problems Installing Windows 7 in Fedora 16

GPT drives have a backup GPT at teh end of the drive in addition to the main GPT at the beginning. Depending upon how you wiped the drive, it may not have wiped the GPT at the end of the drive.

If it is a drive with nothing on it and you wish to wipe it anyway, make sure you also wipe the last few sectors of the drive.

But the easiest way would be to connect the drive and boot Fedora, then you could use tools like gdisk to zap the GPT and create a MBR. (just make certain that you are doing that to the correct drive )

Edit:

gdisk may not be installed by default, so you might have to install it.

yum install gdisk
Old 11th April 2012, 05:12 AM
Abendstern Offline

windows_7chrome
Talking Re: Problems Installing Windows 7 in Fedora 16

Um, actually yeah. You're right. I hadn't deleted everything...Thanks! (I feel stupid now)
Old 11th April 2012, 01:29 PM
vallimar Offline

windows_xp_2003chrome
Re: Problems Installing Windows 7 in Fedora 16

If you install in EFI mode, Windows 7 64bit is supposed to install to gpt.

Tags
fedora, installing, problems, windows