Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 3rd April 2012, 04:27 AM
tashirosgt Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
HD and SSD mount size terminology

I need a mount to put an Intel 320 Series SSD in the 3.5 inch bay of a computer case. What is the terminology for the correct size of such a mount?

The Intel 320 SSD is about 2 1/4 inches wide, which makes it smaller in that dimension that most laptop drives that I have seen. A mount that fits my Samsung HM320HJ laptop drive is a Rosewill 2x2.5". The 2x means it holds two drives (although there would hardly be any space between them if you used it that way). I don't know what the 2.5" refers to. The width of the Samsung HM320HJ is about 2 3/4 inches. Most of the SSD mounts I see advertised on the web are called 2.5". What would the size I need be called?
Old 4th April 2012, 04:42 AM
tashirosgt Offline

linuxopera
Re: HD and SSD mount size terminology

-----

After further research, I think the format of this smaller size of SSD is called "1.8". The Intel SSD 320 series contains both "2.5" and "1.8" sized models.

-----

After more research - it's all on Youtube, of course: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gi9CEzr7BD8

Last edited by tashirosgt; 4th April 2012 at 04:50 AM.
Old 10th April 2012, 01:27 AM
Bandit Offline

linuxchrome

Hmm just pick up some 2.5 to 3.5 mounting brackets and hope they work. If not there is duct-tape..
Old 10th April 2012, 02:00 AM
Firewing1 Offline

macossafari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
The inch-based nickname of all these form factors usually do not indicate any actual product dimension (which are specified in millimeters for more recent form factors), but just roughly indicate a size relative to disk diameters, in the interest of historic continuity.
(See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_di...k_form_factors)

You may need either a 2.5" or 1.8" mount depending on your model. See here for details:
http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/...20-series.html
Old 12th April 2012, 02:07 AM
tashirosgt Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

As the Youtube link I posted indicates, it turns out I need an enclosure that converts a Micro-SATA to a SATA connector and converts the standard SATA voltage input to a different voltage. Were it not for that, duct tape would have worked.
Old 12th April 2012, 03:39 PM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox

I like the Duct tape and baling wire hard drive mounts myself

I did fashion hard drive brackets out of an old Erector set one time (mounted 4 drives on that one). Worked better than a bought hard drive bracket