Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 7th April 2012, 06:43 AM
Welly Wu Offline

linuxchrome
Upgrading Red Hat Fedora

How do you upgrade Red Hat Fedora to a newer version when it becomes available? Do you use the software update to do this or do you type in sudo yum update? I want to continue to upgrade from Red Hat Fedora 16 64 bit GNU/Linux to 17, 18, 19, 20, etc. I do not want to re-install from scratch unless it is absolutely necessary. I know about the benefits of installing from scratch, but let's just say that I am not interested in doing that. Please reply with an answer to my questions. Thank you.
Old 7th April 2012, 09:18 AM
hadrons123 Offline
'The Blue Dragon'

linuxiceweasel
Re: Upgrading Red Hat Fedora

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_use_PreUpgrade
Old 7th April 2012, 01:06 PM
Dan Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox

Moved to Linux Chat
Old 7th April 2012, 01:16 PM
smr54 Online

linuxchrome

Actually, Dan, it looks as if the question is about Fedora 16 though RedHat is in the subject line.

I don't use preupgrade myself, but from what I see on the forums, it is now working pretty well, so hadrons123 has given a good answer. It's possible (again, not having used it in awhile, I'm not sure) that you have to make sure your boot partition is at least 500 MB (if you have a separate /boot partition), so be sure to clear out old kernels--that is, Fedora keeps 3 kernels by default, I think, so make sure you only keep the one that you're using.
Old 7th April 2012, 01:36 PM
Dan Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox

Dang. Ayup. So it is. That's what I get for logging in before coffee. <....>
Old 7th April 2012, 01:54 PM
smr54 Online

linuxchrome

Well, I would sound all superior save for the fact that I spent a few minutes typing an answer to upgrading RHEL releases, then, looking again, finally caught it. Sigh, mornings.....

Tags
fedora, hat, red, upgrading