Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 31st March 2012, 01:13 AM
secipolla Offline

linuxfirefox
Flash not working on Firefox. [SOLVED]

Hi.
I have Chrome installed for Flash videos but I eventually installed the Flash plugin (from Adobe's repo) so I can download them with Flashgot.
First Selinux was blocking it from working because it was denying ptrace ( https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=799584 ).
Then I disabled that with
Code:
setsebool deny_ptrace off
('setsebool -P deny_ptrace 0' would disable it permanently but doesn't work)
and deny_ptrace is now disabled (temporarily). Selinux doesn't complain anymore but Flash videos don't work in Firefox.
They work in Chrome which has Flash embedded but I want in Firefox so I can download the video (it's out-of-sync on the site).

Last edited by secipolla; 4th April 2012 at 02:12 AM.
Old 31st March 2012, 01:22 AM
BBQdave Offline
The Ubu-Grillmaster

linuxiceweasel
Re: Flash not working on Firefox. (selinux)

Quote:
Originally Posted by secipolla View Post
installed the Flash plugin (from Adobe's repo) so I can download them with Flashgot.
Unsure about Flashgot?

You can directly downloaded (.rpm) from adobe for your linux system (32 bit or 64 bit).

http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/otherversions/

And then simply install the RPM flash package. As part of the install, you have to have privilege (su or root), so all applications in your system should have access to flash (including firefox).
Old 31st March 2012, 02:26 AM
secipolla Offline

linuxfirefox

I got the repo from Adobe and then installed the plugin with yum.
Flashgot I installed so I could download the videos.

Maybe it isn't selinux that's preventing the plugin to work because I disabled it with 'setenforce 0' and Flash still doesn't work in Firefox (depending on the site, it's just a black or white square where the video should be).

---------- Post added at 10:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:27 PM ----------

I've uninstalled it...
I saw that other people had problems with Flash in Fedora too. So I'll use Chrome when I want to watch some Flash video.
Old 3rd April 2012, 07:20 AM
hostace Offline

linuxfirefox

you must uninstall totem-mozplugin and restart Firefox. After this all will be ok, I think.
Old 3rd April 2012, 07:53 PM
secipolla Offline

linuxfirefox

Thanks for the reply, but I installed from the Xfce spin which comes with Parole and no browser plugins (except IcedTea).
I eventually replaced Parole for Totem just to use its media plugins and Totem plays the Flash videos on YT (but not anywhere else that I've been yet, nor other Flash objects).
The problem is really the Flash plugin.
I've disabled selinux here (not a server, networking limited to Internet). Disabling hardware acceleration in Firefox doesn't help either.
Flash plugin from Adobe simply doesn't work. I've even downloaded version 11.1 from Adobe's archives but no dice.
I've tested on Chrome too and only its built-in plugin works but Adobe's just leaves a black window like in Firefox (right-clicking it is like right-clicking the page background).
I wanted to install NVIDIA's prop. driver just to check if it's a nouveau problem (or to better word it, a Flash problem that appears when using nouveau) but it seems its installer needs a patch to work with the 3.3 kernel so I'm leaving it like that for now (I prefer to use NVIDIA's installer).
Old 3rd April 2012, 10:45 PM
SlowJet Offline

windows_xp_2003ie

Gnash is the open src version of flash.
It only does upto a certain Adoebe flash version definition (like 3.n with limiits, and no 4.x yet?)

Help code Gnash, as it's all we got now.

SJ
Old 3rd April 2012, 10:59 PM
secipolla Offline

linuxfirefox

TBH, let Flash die its natural death (or whatever its destiny).
I usually just use HTML5 for YT anyway. It's just that without the Flash plugin working, then the video downloaders like Flashgot don't work.
And YouTube is very well supported all-around, like with download buttons (greasemonkey) and all that. It would be just for video sites that ain't so mainstream.
Old 4th April 2012, 12:49 AM
sonoran Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by secipolla View Post
Flash plugin from Adobe simply doesn't work. I've even downloaded version 11.1 from Adobe's archives but no dice.
I had to go back to the security-patched 10.3.183.18 flash plugin from the Adobe site to eliminate plugin crashes.
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic....79332#p1079332
Old 4th April 2012, 02:11 AM
secipolla Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: Flash not working on Firefox.

Thanks a lot, sonoran, that did it.

Tags
firefox, flash, working